Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default East v West throw down challenge

Ok it's not really a challenge it is more about accountability. My virtual friend lives in NY, I live in Sacramento. Here is the plan.

We start by listing our goals, include starting pics. We take pics and give weight once a week and post.

My accountability is if I don't look better or I have gained weight without more tone every 6 weeks starting from post date, I lose.

If he gains weight over a 2 week stretch or doesn't have a net loss over 2 weeks, or finish the year under my 40 lbs of loss goal, he loses.

What do we lose? $200 and much more importantly ... our virtual manhood.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

My goals in order of priority are:
A) Build my endurance
B) Retain my muscle
C) Lose fat

I have a starting weight of 248. I was 245 on Thursday but I spent a decadent weekend in SF.... My goal weight is 230. I have a suprailiac caliper measurement of 12mm. No specific goal for this site just a way to keep track.

I'm not 100% sure (or even 50% sure) how to best measure my progress with my endurance. I'll be doing SS cardio at least 5 times a week of varying intensities. I do have a HR monitor but I've found from experience my HR varies quite a bit while I'm exercising at the same speed and level. For now I'll just keep notes on what my HR is at given intensities.

My general plan is to eat around 2500 kcals on non lifting days and 3500 on lifting days. I plan to lift 2 times a week. We'll see how this goes. My maintinence calories are around 3,000 without any cardio built in.

The things I have to watch out for are weekend binges. I enjoy drinking which is bad enough but often gets compounded by my chips, cookies, and other such snacks my wife likes to keep around the house. I will attempt to keep alchoholic consumption to 1 day a week and keep the snacks out of my belly.

I'll wait till my counterpart posts pics to post mine simply because I want to post pictures similar to his.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

Oh I almost forgot I am a practicer of intermittent fasting. This means I eat from 1-2 pm till 9-10pm and fast the rest of the time. Much of my training will be in a fasted state. This is important to note because many people are still (dispite plenty of evidence to the contrary) that eating 5-6 times a day is superior to eating 2-3 times a day for a variety of reasons. Furthermore people are under the mistaken belief that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I plan on skipping breakfast every day and eating 2 or 3 meals.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

Cardio session - 50 minutes total. 5 mins easy warmup, 10 minutes to get heart rate to target of 150. 30 mins at target HR, 5 mins cool down. 130 RPM at level 13 kept HR at 150. Another stat was 216 watts. Says I burned 800 kcals. Sure I did...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

Day 1 in the books for me and I'm still waiting for east coast to show up. Being single on a Monday can only mean life some how got in the weigh. (haha) Hopefully he didn't go to the gym and totally over do it ... no need to end up in the emergency room my friend.

As for myself, I ingested more calories than I would have liked but I gave in to my tempation and dinner was a grilled cheese and ham sandwich with tomato soup. This of course left me feeling extremely hungry so I finished things off with a couple eggs and 5oz chicken breast. Desert was a chocolate casein protein shake and some fish oil pills. I am feeling totally stuffed!

Number of meals : 2
kcals 2,410
Fat 76.7
Carbs 230.0
Protein 220.9
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/225/210

Height: 5'10

the contest seems a good thing...we are competitive by nature.

so you do fasting instead of eating 5 times, did i get that right? errm i've lost weight both ways before... i have o say that starving yourself is not a good idea in the long term. at least can only stand for so much until i implode and start eating like crazy. the reason for the breakfast is that you don't feel bad and the diet is not so heavy...if you are not eating processed food it's hard for you to gain weight.

i only fast the next day if i over eat carbs...but the next day back to normal. just saying. this seems complex for me
wburner90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

Day 2:

I was unable to get to the gym so I went on a brisk 45 min walk. HR unknown. In a way this is good for me because I need to take it easy as I reset and I also need to put the full weight on my knee if I hope to someday have the ability to jog or run.

The following is only an estimate. It is within 100kcals. Since I didn't get much of a workout I went light on the calories.

Meals: 2 + 1 snack

Kacls : 1,987

Fat : 69.6

Carbs: 170.5

Protein: 176.0

I am starting to worry a little about my east coast buddy. He is not likely to wimp out before even starting ...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburner90 View Post
the contest seems a good thing...we are competitive by nature.

so you do fasting instead of eating 5 times, did i get that right? errm i've lost weight both ways before... i have o say that starving yourself is not a good idea in the long term. at least can only stand for so much until i implode and start eating like crazy. the reason for the breakfast is that you don't feel bad and the diet is not so heavy...if you are not eating processed food it's hard for you to gain weight.

i only fast the next day if i over eat carbs...but the next day back to normal. just saying. this seems complex for me
I think you are failing to understand intermiitent fasting. I don't fast all day. I only fast every morning. 16 hours of fasting (starts at 9 or 10 PM) and 8 hours of eatings (starts at 1 or 2 PM). I'm also not starving myself, far from it. When you eat in a shorter window of time you are eating bigger meals. Breakfast for me was a 4 egg omlette with ham and cheese + a big bowl of oatmeal flavored with protein powder + an apple. I was able to finish it but I was full until dinner.

There is an adjustment period. Previously if I didn't eat before 11:00 AM I would be soooooo hungry I would typcially binge and make poor food choices. After only a couple days this ceased and after a couple weeks I didn't even begin to get hungry until my feeding window approached. It's not for everyone but everything I have read about the topic says it is not only healthy it might be better for you than a standard eating pattern.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/271/231

Height: 5'9

East coast here.

I am about to turn 25 years old. I am 5'9 and 271 lbs. My obesity has gotten way out of hand the past few years. I am trying to at least get to 231 lbs before the end of the year. Realistically I think I will be able to get to 210 and still not look like a bunch of loose skin. Either way, I'm going to lose at least 40 lbs. I am sick of being so heavy. In Feb. 2010, in the midst of diet and exercise I was 230 lbs. I am going to take this lifestyle change a lot more seriously than the one I tried a year ago.

My European scale only gives me weight in kg so i have to convert, but it was a good deal and it is very accurate. I was weighed at the doctor's office 6 days ago and was 276 with all my clothes on, and since then I have cut soda...so my current scale seems quite accurate.

Here are photos I just took 20 minutes ago or so:

http://img508.imageshack.us/i/week12.jpg/

http://img203.imageshack.us/i/week1d.jpg/

My plan is simple. Plenty of water. No soda (I drink quite a bit). No fried foods (this will be tough). White carbohydrates consumed in stringent moderation. Lots of eggs, chicken breasts and whole wheat toast. Low impact cardio & strength training. I'm talking sit-ups, elliptical, push-ups, and jogging in place or something.

I've done this all before and had an okay time doing it, but life (and gout) got in the way. I got gout during my last period of diet & exercise because I was using protein supplements to counteract hunger. I won't be able to do the protein supplements this time, so I will take it a bit slower. I will have plenty of time to accomplish my goal. I know how rapidly I can build my metabolism and get on the road to healthiness; my biggest concern is building a lifestyle I can sustain so that I won't gain weight back again. Will post more in the coming weeks about my methods.

Btw I really like this forum and hope more guys come to the men's corner and use our battle as inspiration. We will not give up, there's a lot on the line!

Edit: Btw I know our goals seem a bit skewed, I'm trying to lose quite a bit of weight and he is just trying to look better...but he is in his upper 30s I believe and a very tall guy with knee issues (plus he's married/has a family), so training will be much more difficult for him. I feel that our goals will be equally difficult to achieve, and I am satisfied with the terms.

Last edited by shamelessdp; 01-25-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add more info
shamelessdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelessdp View Post
My plan is simple. Plenty of water. No soda (I drink quite a bit). No fried foods (this will be tough). White carbohydrates consumed in stringent moderation. Lots of eggs, chicken breasts and whole wheat toast. Low impact cardio & strength training. I'm talking sit-ups, elliptical, push-ups, and jogging in place or something.
I like your plan. If you can stick to that you're going to drop a whole lot more than 40lbs in a year. If I may make a suggestion ... try to not consume ANY fried foods for an entire month. If you're anything like me you're probably addicted to that kind of stuff. I went 30 days without any fast food of any sort ... broke the habit and have never looked back.

After 30 days, build in one cheat day a week where you can eat whatever you want. As long as you eat it in moderation it won't matter.

I'll have the wife snap some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Couldn't recruit the wife so I took one on my own. I'm really not planning on taking pictures of my scale but if you want me to I will. Disclaimer: I can adjust my scale to say whatever I want with in 5 lbs.

For fun here is what I looked like at 280 lbs taken June 09. I don't have any pictures of me at 300 lbs, unfortunately.

Last edited by JohnP; 01-26-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Resize the scary large pics!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #12  
Embracing the suck

Today was a lifting day. Since I really have no way to measure muscle mass I will be using my lifts as a determination of keeping my muscle, or not. In otherwords, if my lifts don't go down I'm not losing muscle (or very little). As you can see from my picture I don't have a lot of muscle so I can't afford to lose any.

All the following are three sets -

Bench - 215x6
Row - 180x6
DB Press - 55x5
Chin ups - BW x 5

I'll do some lower body work as time goes on but for now my lower body is super under developed so my cardio work should be plenty to keep what miniscule muscle I do have.

Went a little over on my calories.
Meals 2 + 1

Kcals - 3,846
Fat - 38.7
Carbs - 575.9
Protein - 287.4
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Did a little HIIT + cardio today. Was trying to do HIIT on this machine that is sort of like an eliptical. Didn't work out that great but I did get my HR way up. Took basically forever to recover which is why, of course, I'm doing this. Machine says I burned 672 calories. Wife wanted In and Out for dinner so I went a little over today. Perhaps I will squeeze a little more cardio in before bed ...

Kcals - 2,771

Fat - 122.9

Carbs - 213.1

Protein - 206.1
Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #14  
Embracing the suck

On a positive note I decided to watch Seinfeld episodes while I do my cardio. I was laughing quite a bit and I'm sure there were people staring at me. Tried to keep my HR at 140 for about 40 minutes, plus warm up and cool down.

Went out to dinner so I have no idea how many calories I ate today.

Meals 2

Calories and Macros unknown
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #15  
Embracing the suck

Took the day off. Ate out both meals so I have no clue how much I ate but I was low on protein which is probably why I'm so dang hungry right now.

Tomorrow I lift. Can't wait. So much more enjoyable than cardio.