Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #1  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default Ugh.. annoyed

I need to vent! So, I recently got a body bugg, and I have been viewing their site on facebook. I have not been hitting my daily burn goal (2700 calories for the total day) for several days now, even though I have been working out and quite active. The highest I can seem to hit is 2400. So, I posted on the page looking for some tips or advice. Instead, I got criticism that maybe my goals are too high, and I shouldn't be losing 2lbs a week. I was told that I should lower down my burn goal and try for 1lb a week. I was told I was setting myself up for failure by wanting to burn so much. (The program gave me that burn level. I didn't randomly pick it out.) And, that I need to slow down and lose at a slower pace.

I was only asking for some tips on maybe what exercises burn more calories. I am like 80lbs overweight right now. I should be able to lose 2lbs a week! It is possible.

I think I am going to stay away from that facebook page... they all seem to "know it all." One member tells people to eat more all the time.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have a gowearfit (I think it's called body media fit) and when I first got it I was told to eat 2500 calories a day and burn 3500. I was like yeah not happening. I did change my goals up cuz I couldn't hit over 3000 calories burned per day.

The only thing I can suggest is incorporating another half an hour of hard exercise. I can burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes when I work out on my treadmill. But at the same time you don't want to overdo it and injure yourself.

I think you can change it up by inputting how much you plan on eating and working out as well. I know when I changed some answers to questions the numbers became more doable for me.

But the one thing that sucks is as I lose my calories burned goes down! I'm hitting 2000 on days I don't work out and on days I do I'm getting like 2300-2500. I'm never going to see 3000 again unless I run at least 1.5 hours a day!

Some people can be rude on those other forums though- I don't blame you for being annoyed with them. On the Medifast board there were people who acted like if you weren't 100% on plan that you were a bad person or something- I was like grow up! lol

Last edited by beerab; 01-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #3  
Choose your hard...

Beerab, thanks for your reply. I guess I just need to keep playing around with it until I figure out what helps me continue to lose weight. Wow, I thought as you lose weight your calories burned would go up because you can move easier without the weight, and your metabolism might increase?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Nope, it burns more calories to move all that weight around than it takes to move a smaller person around, therefore your calorie burn for the exact same exercise will be higher at a higher weight.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Nope- the thinner you are the less calories you need to function. Also the healthier you are the less harder your heart pumps and so on. When I first started working out my heart rate would shoot up to over 200. Now my heart rate stays in the 160s and 170s and rarely gets above the 180s when I work out. It's frustrating I'm not going to lie but at least I know I'm healthier. Last time I got checked at the doctor she said whatever you are doing keep it up.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #6  
Choose your hard...

I did weights today before cardio and the calories burned was higher then when I just did cardio for an hour. I did weights first and spent 30 minutes, and then did cardio for a bit and spent 30 minutes. Maybe my body was getting used to my routine? I was doing weights about every other day.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #7  

Sorry the Bodybugg facebook group wasn't more supportive. Maybe you could try the BodyMedia FIT page instead, they seem to be a pretty nice bunch and don't seem to mind if a Bodybugg person comes over and posts. I'm over there some, since I have a BodyMedia FIT.

However, I'm about 80 pounds overweight as well, and my body does *not* work well with a deficit large enough to lose 2 pounds a week. I get famished, and headachy and majorly cranky if I try and make too high a deficit. And I don't lose well either, which only makes it worse!

So it really does vary from person to person as to what kind of burn/deficit can be tolerated. But maybe they could've said it nicer!

I think if I were younger, I might could do more, but at my age, I'm finding that slow and steady is better than pushing too hard and burning out.

I don't know what it's like with the Bodybugg software, but with the BodyMedia FIT, you can easily adjust your goals to eat more/burn more or eat less/burn less. If you really want to hit that burn, then I would say you simply need to add more activity, perhaps an extra half hour of walking. I would be careful, and listen to your body because when we are heavier, extra activity can start to really increase the pounding on the joints. I actually LOWERED my step goal with the custom option, because my bad ankles were burning out with me trying to hit 5000 steps a day. That just wasn't sustainable for me on a daily basis.

Anyway, we all have different bodies and it will be a matter of figuring out what works best for you. Good luck with it!

Last edited by graycyn; 01-28-2011 at 10:08 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote