Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Question How To Accurately Figure Out Your Frame Size?

I don't know what size frame I have so I don't know whether to set my goal at the lower end of my healthy weight range, or the middle. How do you figure out your frame size? Especially being so overweight, I don't think the wrist test would work, considering you could lose inches from your arms and wrists.

So do you know of any accurate frame tests that someone obese could go by?
Or do you think I would have to lose a little more weight and inches to do something like the wrist test?
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Measure the circumference of your wrist. Just google something like, "wrist fram size' or 'wrist measurement build" or something.

mine is six inches around. I'm a medium build.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW303/TICKER/GW135

Height: 5'8"

I'm a medium build also.... I kinda wonder if my ultimate WL goal is too thin for me. (it's 135lbs)

I dunno... we'll see when I get down to 160-150 and go from there
ThinningVegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I am 7.25 inches around the wrist, and am a large frame.

When I looked into what my ideal body weight should be, considering my frame size and height, this is what it said:

Your ideal weight range-- 158 - 173.8 lbs. (71.8 - 79 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (67 inches) and frame size (Large).

So maybe I should look at my ultimate goal again. I set it to 155lbs to try and keep me out of the "overweight" BMI, but in hindsight, maybe 160 or 165 may be a little more appropriate!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssarof2012 View Post
I don't know what size frame I have so I don't know whether to set my goal at the lower end of my healthy weight range, or the middle. How do you figure out your frame size? Especially being so overweight, I don't think the wrist test would work, considering you could lose inches from your arms and wrists.

So do you know of any accurate frame tests that someone obese could go by?
Or do you think I would have to lose a little more weight and inches to do something like the wrist test?
Honestly, I always wondered about the wrist test. When I weighed 235 my fingers touched. Now they overlap. So how accurate is that? My bones haven't gotten smaller.

So I'm not really sure. I just know for me, relative to my size, I have always had tiny fingers, narrow feet and small wrists. So I assume I'm small boned.

That said, as far as your weight, just take the wait and see approach. You'll know.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #6  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

My wrist is 6.5 inches which makes me a large frame. My goal puts me right in the healthy range for my size... it says about 140lbs is an average weight for me, but we will find out. :P

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Wrists gets fat too, that is actually a really bad measure of frame size, the heavier you are the less accurate it generally is. I find looking at build in pictures to be very accurate, when comparing standards. There is also a frame test based on th distance of the bones in your elbow that is much more accurate, as the two bony points are not affected by fat distribution the way a wrist is.

I have a large frame, by the way, but that is actually very unusual. Though I am a foot shorter, my shoulders are broader than my husband (who has a heavy frame, but narrow) and I have a large amount of muscle, naturally. Very few women of my height look like I do at my 'ideal weight', because they are carrying a higher fat percentage at the same pounds as I am.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Wrists gets fat too, that is actually a really bad measure of frame size, the heavier you are the less accurate it generally is. I find looking at build in pictures to be very accurate, when comparing standards. There is also a frame test based on th distance of the bones in your elbow that is much more accurate, as the two bony points are not affected by fat distribution the way a wrist is.

I have a large frame, by the way, but that is actually very unusual. Though I am a foot shorter, my shoulders are broader than my husband (who has a heavy frame, but narrow) and I have a large amount of muscle, naturally. Very few women of my height look like I do at my 'ideal weight', because they are carrying a higher fat percentage at the same pounds as I am.
I am more intrested in baby Seth Josiah , how did you manage to have a baby born on 10/10/10 ? What a birthday !!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Using the wrist measurement test, I always was a large frame - then I lost 80 pounds or so. I'm a small frame now. So IMO, those tests don't mean much at all....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I am more intrested in baby Seth Josiah , how did you manage to have a baby born on 10/10/10 ? What a birthday !!
Haha! He managed to be born then because he was very, very late. I was in labor from around Sept. 21st with my first go of hard contractions and dilation, to actually giving birth the morning of the 10th. My labor would get goingnat home and then stop, and it was days of this prodromal labor. The contractions I had two weeks earlier were no less intense than the ones in transition. It was... Unfortunate.

Fortunately he was born with NO induction and NO painkillers, so I got the unaugmented VBAC I wanted. And though he was quite a pain to get here, he's been my easiest, sweetest baby since then

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 01-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I am wondering if lean body mass might be a better indicator of goal weight than frame size.

Some women are more muscular than others. Both of my daughters are athletes and have low body fat percentages and both are very muscular and they are built like linebackers-- they weigh more than many of their age mates.

Even slim, some women are just "bigger" than others, but I really wonder if the difference isn't the tendency to build muscle.... I know that you can build muscle but isn't tendency to acquire strength and muscle mass also partially genetically determined?

Maybe somebody here knows the answer.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #12  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

My elbow and wrist measuements say that my frame is small, people have always called me big boned though
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

My mother in law loves to tell me I am big boned but I think I am medium framed.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote