Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Grapeseed Oil or EVOO?

My coach said to use Grapeseed oil instead of EVOO and I am wondering about this since all I've heard anyone here speak of is EVOO. Anyone have any information about this? It appears that they both have the good unsaturated fat, but Gs has more polyunsaturated fat and EVOO has more monounsaturated....if that matters.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityberry View Post
My coach said to use Grapeseed oil instead of EVOO and I am wondering about this since all I've heard anyone here speak of is EVOO. Anyone have any information about this? It appears that they both have the good unsaturated fat, but Gs has more polyunsaturated fat and EVOO has more monounsaturated....if that matters.
Yes, it/they matter. Mono, generally speaking, is better. But why don't you research how each is used; whether or not they can be used at high temperatures. And frankly, you're coach should not have dictated one over the other; he/she should have explained why the preference for one and in what circumstances. Next time, make your coach accountable for these sorts of dicta, OK? Coaching is what you expect; not declarations.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #3  

Maybe I am reading your post wrong but isn't this a place to ask questions and get help? Thanks anyway, I guess I'll go research.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Actually Linden has a good point and she was probably pissed FOR you that your coach dictated without explanation of why one oil over another.

Linden in my opinion is one of the best on this thread.

IP protocol states EVOO. But, since you can make your own decisions choose one or the other or both!

Just my two cents for the day!
cmsgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #5  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

I use both EVOO and Grapeseed oil as I have both on hand for soap making. I tend to like the lighter taste of grapeseed on salads and for the higher temps it can stand when used in cooking. Personal preferences dictate choice as they are both good oils.

Last edited by CBG; 01-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Serendipity - I don't follow IP, but I recently researched grapeseed oil (I had purchased a bottle) and found that it's quite high in the omega 6 fats, which are the kind we should limit and should try to balance with more omega 3's (fish oil, flax, etc. are sources of omega 3s). After my research, I did decide to return the oil and use light olive oil (not EVOO) for things that require a neutral flavor (i.e. I was using it to make homemade mayo).

However, olive oil doesn't do well at high heats, and grapeseed oil does. So that might be something to consider.

And, I agree that Linden didn't seem very receptive to your question, and I, too, see 3FC as a welcoming place to ask questions even if you do have a coach.

Good luck with your choice and research!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
I use both EVOO and Grapeseed oil as I have both on hand for soap making. I tend to like the lighter taste of grapeseed on salads and for the higher temps it can stand when used in cooking. Personal preferences dictate choice as they are both good oils.
Oh, soap making (we all cross-posted)! Do you have a blog or website where you sell, or is it just for personal use?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #8  

Quote:
serendipityberry Grapeseed oil (GO) was listed on my phase 1 sheet. I never used it. Having read different reports (summaries of scientific & medical research) that walking2lose has probably seen, I'm glad I never ventured to buy it. There are some researchers who consider polyunsaturated fats a toxin to our bodies. IP doesn't, or at least considers it preferable to other options.

Grapeseeds like canola, sunflower, safflower, corn are very difficult to get oils from. You don't naturally eat a grape and think, hmmm, I think I'll grind up the seed soak it in a solvent and then get some oil. No you spit it out and leave it on the ground to grow more grapes! These oils and others are sometimes referred to as industrial seed oils. They are food-like products that your grandmother or great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. If you search on the terms "industrial seed oils" or "PUFAs" (polyunsaturated fatty acids) you'll discover credible researchers and peer-reviewed studies looking at the effect of the introduction of the increased omega-6 fats to our diets. I suspect that in 20-30 years, these omega-6 oils and the single strain hybridized wheat that's used in EV.ERY.THING. will become as much an issue of public health activity as tobacco. Maybe it will take longer than 30 years, but I hope not.

For sure GO is better than much of the fat we've been eating in our "standard American diets" before IP. Because it has a higher smoke point than EVOO, it's the better choice for stir-fries and sauté. There are better and tastier options in my opinion, however they are "off protocol" on IP. Personally I think IP's designers drank too much of the "no saturated fat koolaid." I've used coconut oil for sauté, EVOO for dressings that won't be heated, and very occasionally a little butter or ghee for flavor.

At the risk of being presumptuous, I'll try to explain my friend Linden's tone. It's late in Germany and she may still be adjusting to time & climate changes after travelling there from Hawai'i. And, far more importantly, in the 6 months we've both been on the board, we've seen a lot of posts with comments about coaches. There are lots of coaches that are total gems -- caring and knowledgeable people you'd send your desperately ill and overweight bff/mom/dad/child to in a heartbeat. And then there's the other extreme, "coaches" acting as if their sole job is to provide a scale for you step in their presence and to exchange IP product for your money.

Sometimes it's frustrating to hear/read that you are paying people for a program and they are taking your money but leaving out the helping you and the answering your questions about the program and the why they're suggesting what they're suggesting. It's probably better not to respond to posts when I react with frustration to seeing this poor service yet again. On the other hand, people can feel incredibly alone and think that shoddy treatment and no answers is just the way it's supposed to be. It's a tough call to make as a seasoned poster on this forum. I hope you understand.

So ... I'm asking in advance that you forgive my crabbiness at an IP coach when I think an IP dieter is getting ripped off of the support s/he's paying for.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 01-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #9  

Thank you all for the information, now I'm understanding the difference. I will certainly consider using EVOO now for food not cooked with high heat.

Svelting--I certainly understand the frustration with coaches. However, her post was clear snippy with me as well.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Maybe I am reading your post wrong but isn't this a place to ask questions and get help? Thanks anyway, I guess I'll go research.
Yes, you are reading my post incorrectly, and incompletely.

And I appreciate all the defenses. And I think they're justified.

But here's my real response and it's not directed at you, or anyone else. This is a diet for grownups. Grownups research before they ask questions. When they can't find answers, or support, they ask for it. When their coaches say something that they don't understand or, more importantly, don't agree with, they challenge.

And this is for you: they challenge the coach; not me.

Last edited by Linden; 01-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
I was told I could use any oil high in omega 3 or 6 with olive being preferred. Some clinics like to use coconut oil. I actually use many oils - olive, walnut, sesame, coconut, avocado, and grape seed are all on my counter. I use them for different taste, light or heavy texture, and heats. I use some only occasionally and in small amounts and others regularly for my nutrition base.

As to your other question, yes, this is a place to ask questions. It is also a place to give suggestions. It is very hard to read someone's writing style until you have read many things by them. It is very easy to take things the wrong way. It might be better to ask another question before taking offense.

In this case, I believe Linden was making a suggestion for you to help you understand why things might be better. She did answer your basic question and was trying to give you a direction to go in if you want more.

If you knew her and her writing style, you would know she was not being anywhere near snippy.

We are all very glad to have you here with us. We are a great supportive group with lots of different approaches, styles, and personalities. I hope you will continue to stick around and get to know us all! You will find almost all of your questions can be answered by someone and, MANY people will try to answer your questions.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Yes, you are reading my post incorrectly, and incompletely.

And I appreciate all the defenses. And I think they're justified.

But here's my real response and it's not directed at you, or anyone else. This is a diet for grownups. Grownups research before they ask questions. When they can't find answers, or support, they ask for it. When their coaches say something that they don't understand or, more importantly, don't agree with, they challenge.

And this is for you: they challenge the coach; not me.
That is your real response but yet it is not directed at me? I suppose condescending is just your writing style when you refer to "not me or anyone else" as the opposite of a grownup if we have a question that you have determinded annoying? When you as an advanced member know this stuff already, it may seem that us newbies don't "research" but you are forgetting what it is like to be new at this. Some of us do indeed spend a lot of time looking into this and still have many missing pieces. I am not a cook, I had no idea that heat changed to composition of certain oils. When my coach said to use GO it didn't even phase me to question it as I thought it was a IP rule or something, until I kept hearing about EVOO here.

But beyond that, sometimes when a person gets so much info at once (like during the initial IP visit) you don't think of questions or challenges until after the fact and I don't meet with her for four days.

It is rediculous to post this way to new people in search of answers and I can't believe anyone would defend such behavior.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #13  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
That is your real response but yet it is not directed at me? I suppose condescending is just your writing style when you refer to "not me or anyone else" as the opposite of a grownup if we have a question that you have determinded annoying? When you as an advanced member know this stuff already, it may seem that us newbies don't "research" but you are forgetting what it is like to be new at this. Some of us do indeed spend a lot of time looking into this and still have many missing pieces. I am not a cook, I had no idea that heat changed to composition of certain oils. When my coach said to use GO it didn't even phase me to question it as I thought it was a IP rule or something, until I kept hearing about EVOO here.

But beyond that, sometimes when a person gets so much info at once (like during the initial IP visit) you don't think of questions or challenges until after the fact and I don't meet with her for four days.

It is rediculous to post this way to new people in search of answers and I can't believe anyone would defend such behavior.
Oh, for crying out loud. Lots of questions could or might be annoying, but if they were, why would I answer? I was trying to help.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #14  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Oh, soap making (we all cross-posted)! Do you have a blog or website where you sell, or is it just for personal use?
I am on facebook under Country Magic Soaps. Take a look and see that food isn't/wasn't my only addiction!!! I have a website too but am not set up to sell online yet. I do a few craft fairs and sell from home but with a full time job and a hobby farm I tend to run out of time for a few things.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #15  
i love weight loss

S/C/G: 370/261.4/180

Height: 5'5

my coach says use the EVOO they never mentioned grapseed oil
krisbelle is offline   Reply With Quote