Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/157/130

Height: 5'5"

Default pants size frustration

Can someone please explain why women can weigh similar weights but be completely different pants size? Is it all in muscle tone and body shape? I imagine it is, and perhaps I'm too hung up on the scale. I get really frustrated when I hear of someone weighing similar to me (155 lbs) but in a much smaller pants size. Right now I'm sitting here desperatley trying to stay in size 14, the waistband strangling my belly roll that has appeared after 3 babies. I couldn't dream of squeezing into a size 8, a size 16 would be comfortable, yet some women can at this weight? How does that work?
130orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It's body composition. The ratio of muscle tissue to fat tissue.

A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. Both are a pound. But the density is different.

Just like a pound of rock can be held in you hand and maybe even hidden inside it. But a pound of feathers? That takes up more space even though it weighs the same -- a pound. It's just a lot fluffier.

Here's a photo 5l b of muscle vs 5 lb fat.

See?

So people can weight the same, but depending on what they are made of in there, one can be fluffier than the other and be in larger clothes.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-26-2011 at 06:34 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I am right at 155 and though I have not tried on new pants in a super long time the 12s I am currently wearing are only staying up with the help of a belt. I think alot of it has to do with body shape, I have absolutely no butt.

Check out this website, someone posted it on the forum awhile ago, it shows different women at the same weight and the various sizes they wear-
http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

I found this on a website, it shows that from 0-14 the difference in pant sizes is only an inch, over 14 it increases to two

Size 10 (medium): Waist = 29 inches and hips = 39.5 inches

Size 12 (large): Waist = 30.5 inches and hips = 41 inches

Size 14 (large): Waist = 31 to 32 inches and hips = 42.5 inches

Size 16 (extra large): Waist = 33.5 inches and hips = 44 inches

Size 18 (extra large): Waist = 35.5 inches and hips = 46 inches

Read more: How to Size Pants | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5117859_size...#ixzz1CGDXk1tK
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It is possible to lift weights, drop dress sizes, and not lose a pound. Through my journey I did once drop two dress sizes while the scale stalled out on me. I am one who used to be complaining that women my height/weight wore smaller sizes than I did, but now I'm on the other end of that. Strength training does wonders for overall shape.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/147/125

Buying pants drives me nuts. I have to take three different sizes of each style into the dressing room and frequently none of them fit. If they DO fit, I've got a choice: looks good when standing but strangles me when I sit down, or too big in the waist when standing but just right when sitting. People tell me the pants I wear are too big (empty) in the butt, but that's because I have NO butt and a big floppy stomach. Maybe I should try wearing my pants backwards. :-)
Tryllianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Genetics totally play a HUGE part in the equation. For instance, some woman carry their weight up top...and some down below. Both of you can weigh the same amount, but the one carrying her weight up top, will wear the smaller jean!

Sure...weight training can help improve an individual shape/body composition, but even that has its limitations...which is genetics.

In the end...it's best not to compare, but to try to figure out ways at being the BEST YOU, you can be!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-27-2011 at 02:05 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/157/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone! You all are great!

The photo of fat vs. muscle is a good visual. I am ALL BUTT! I used to have a flat tummy prior to the kids so the pants tight across my front is new and what I find most annoying. I can tell my abs are just shot because I can "hold" my gut in for the flat front again, but as soon as I relax I look 5 months pregnant again. There is definately a layer of fat there that I didn't used to have, but muscle is problem too.

OK, I need to work on not comparing myself to others.
130orbust is offline   Reply With Quote