Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Default Sparkling water questions

I thought I had found the answer to not just me, but my husband and 3 kids problem of not drinking water...sparkling water! I bought about 5 different flavors and everyone loved them! Especially my son and husband. On the FRONT of the bottle, it SAYS 0 sugar, calories and caffeine. Then I got to thinking, uh, duh, I didn't even read the labels in the store and the "natural flavor" is surely not enough to give this that sugary taste. Sure enough, listed there in the ingredients on the back is aspartame. I try to avoid aspartame like the plague.

Does anyone know of a sparkling water product that does not contain aspartame or any other artificial sweeteners? Or can you purchase just regular carbonated water and add your own flavor, like lemon or lime? I do most of my shopping at Walmart and I did see like ginger ale and regular water, but no plain carbonated water.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, you can buy seltzer water. It is just fizzy water.

Also, if you are really dedicated to it, you can buy something to make soda water for you.

This is $40 and seems to have positive reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Soda-Sipho...5803685&sr=8-4

You'd just have to buy recharge cartridges.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

Perrier offers naturally flavored water without any sugar
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #4  
Just Me

I actually can't stand mineral water, like perrier but many people seem to like it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #5  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I do something a little different. I don't really drink soda and I can't do the asparteme thing either (migraines), so I buy a slightly flavored but not sweet water called La Croix. I buy the berry flavored (comes in orange, lemon, lime & berry). I pour about an ounce or 2 of something like tropical punch juicy juice and then fill it up with the berry La Croix water. I like it better than pop.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

I have the hardest time finding seltzer water when I go to a new store. It it's usually but not always in the bottled water aisle and is frequently bought out for some reason. Walmart should have Perrier and a store brand. La Croix comes in cans; otherwise, you can buy 1- and 2-liter bottles. Check the ingredients! Those sweetened beverages design their bottles very similarly.

Seltzer water doesn't really taste like water or pop--I didn't like it straight away and your kids especially might not like it at first. You can mix with juice and cut down the amount of juice over time to acclimate, if you need. I do like Perrier's bubbles better but it's about twice as much so it's usually the cheap stuff for me
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #7  
Just Me

Seltzer water seems to be most often found where the alcoholic mixes are in a store. When I buy seltzer water, I put a little fruit juice in it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #8  

Thank you all for your replies! I did go back to Walmart today and got Pellegrino sparkling water and also another brand of seltzer water with a slight raspberry flavor. EWWWWWW, this is going to take some experimenting indeed! They were all disgusting, LOL. I tried lemon/lime juice in the sparkling water (blech!) and then a little koolaid (double blech!!).

Nelie, I will try the fruit juice next. I do have some Minute Maid juice boxes I can try.

It's such a shame the other sparkling water had Aspartame!
My husband really loved it so much, he suggested I call the company and say hey, we really love your water, but could you make it without aspartame, LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #9  
Just Me

Niecy, I am surprised you couldn't find plain seltzer water but I went to Walmart's website and found what I was referring to:
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/1044...ws/reviews.htm

San Pelligrino is a mineral water, which I think is an acquired taste, one I have no desire to acquire
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #10  

Thank you!!!! I didn't see this one but will keep my eyes peeled when I go back next week.

And I am with you on the mineral water, I have zero desire to acquire a taste to that. After being raised on sweet tea, this is going to be tough
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #11  
Funny Bunny...

S/C/G: 246/234/148

Height: 5'7''

I only drink carbonated water, unfortunately I can't tell you where to get it where you are but I think you already found it so I'll just add my two cent

I mix it with sugarfree apple juice, it's amazing. Or I put a little bit of lemon juice in it.
vexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

My go to for the past month has been sparkling water. The only place I have been able to find it is in Jewel. Every other place only carried Peregrino, which is not so bad but so much more expensive. I about 5 of the the big liters. I usually mix mine with fruit juice- 1oz of juice to 7oz of sparking water.

I love it. It definitely helps me drink more water during the day.

It doesn't have aspartame in it.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote