Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 05:42 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #325

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's another beautiful day here in Iowa. The sun is shining, the sky is bright blue, and the snow is melting fast! I have to go grocery shopping tonight and am NOT looking forward to it; I hate that job more each time I go!

Donna -- Thanks for sharing your picture! There is such a difference from the Christmas picture you posted! Making a weight loss scrapbook is a good idea and great motivation for not going back up the scale again.

Bubbles -- One of my coworkers just went to a "Love and Logic" workshop and came back with a comment to give to whiney kids. "It really sucks being you, doesn't it?" I love it and wish we could use it at school -- we'll have to think of some way to put it a little nicer. When they roll their eyes at you, you can say,
"did you see your brain in there?" If you don't know the person/people who wrote/received the letters, I wouldn't hesitate to sell them. After all, you can enjoy a new kitchen while the history buffs enjoy the letters. Right? I need a haircut also; actually, a teeny, tiny trim would do since my perm is just about gone. You and I have to get our "poop in a group" and get the scale to go down instead of up! I didn't weigh in this week because I knew the scale would show a gain and I just didn't want to stand in a long waiting line for that. It truly is a miracle that Jessica Lynch was rescued. My daughter's best friend's husband just got out of the Air Force in October. He has received two letters from the USAF: the first one told him to get his family matters in order and the second one said he would have 5 days to report once the final notification came through. He was in military police or whatever they are called so he is at least hoping to stay stateside. They just had a baby in Feb. so I feel so bad for them.

Maggie -- What kind of computer did you get? You are the second person to tell me that they were unhappy with Gateway's service. The first person wasn't happy with the tech. support. With all of the layoffs, I don't know where Gateway is headed. My daughter still has a job but I don't know for how long. DH would like a flat screen TV but he thinks the price will come down and they will be more affordable later. He also wants a bigger screen but the relic we have now is working just fine!

I need to go make my list and get the leftovers started for supper. Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Red face Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

JEAN I got a Hewlet Packard and so far it works like a charm. It has capabilities to write & re-write CD's, plays CD's and
plays DVD's. Plus ports for digital camera, PDA and MP3 players. The prices have come down a lot already for these omputers and also the TV's. The TV's have so far dropped from @ $500 to $350 depending on the size you want of course ~ and will probably come down some more. By the time we can afford one of them I hope they will be down lower anyway. Well you do realize that the guys that get out of the service have two years subject to recall ~ so I guess they need him or they wouldn't have called him back.

Have a wonderful day folks.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #3  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright and sunny day, cool but oh so much better that the snow and snizzle we have been having...now if it could only warm up a bit or am I asking too much!

We took the "T" to Boston to see the Dr at MGH for DH's 2nd opinion. What a wonderful man. He made us right at ease and explained Dh's condition better than it had ever been explained before. Bottom line he does not need any new proceedures. Dr. recommended to continue the Choesteral med and maybe increase it and as DH has no symptoms and is feeling fine he can continue life as normal.....what a relief.

We had to leave very early and I was ready at the door when DH got the car out. I walked down the front stairs and proceeded to fall right on my tush....that hurt. I was very fortunate not to break my hip or anything else. I got up and although sort of sore I was moving and we continued into town via the "T". I have since had a nice hot tubby and am feeling fine and lucky.

MAGGIE It must be wonderful to have a new computer and I bet you are using it to it's fullest. I love new toys.

JEAN I wouldn't worry too much about the scale going up as the weather should turn more springlike soon and you will be outside walking again. I hope to do more walking as soon as the sidewalks are in better shape. Maybe by the end of this month.

DONNA Thank you for posting your picture....you look great. What a difference since the first one you posted. Keep up the good work. You are not letting anything stop you as you walk the Malls. DH & I do walk the Mall every so often but I must get on a more regular schedule and I do like walking outside better.

BUBS You will soon be out walking with Jimmy and that small blip on the scale will be gone. It must be beautiful in the WV mountains as the spring arrives. DH & I are hoping to meander down to NC near the end of May to see DS & family. If all goes well we will travel down through Dover, De and over the Cheasapeake Bridge/Tunnel and down to the Outer Banks, then on to Raleigh. After Memorial Day we will spend 3 days in Myrtle Beach and return to Raleigh before heading home. We have always stopped in Baltimore for a night on the way home and this time we hope to make it Annapolis, MD. Now that DH has the go ahead for the trip we will have to start making reservations.

Gloria in MA....got to get up and walk around before I get stiff from sitting at the computer too long.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:22 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies,
It is cold and windy today..........I've been freezing Went to old folks yoga and then to the doc for the annual pap smear..........I use our Osteopathic School, so sometimes am also seen by a student........this was one of those days. My Gyno is a woman, and I love her. I was a little uncomfortable with a male student following behind her.......eg. she did the breast exam sitting, he did it lying down; she did the pelvic, then he did it. I'm now scheduled for a colonoscopy, mammogram, and ultra sound, as I had a questionable mammo last year. What a waste of time.

Let me tell you what my brat beagle did yesterday........the shortened version is that he ate 2 packages of the little foil wrapped chocolate eggs.........foil and all! I noticed a little while ago that we have glittery poop today Chocolate is really bad for dogs, so he has probably shortened his life by several years

Did I tell youall I'm making a quick trip to Ontario the week after Easter? Our school used to have an exchange program with Dunnville,ON which lasted for over 20 years, but ended due to consolidation and some power struggles on the Canadian end. Anyway, I was one of the sponsors the last several years of the program, so would go up for a week with 25 or so kids. In 7th grade they were paired up, and their partners would come down here, then in eighth grade, we'd take the same kids up there to visit their partners. It was really neat, and some strong friendships have been made over the years. Anyway, I made some good friends also, so am going up for a visit. A good friend was going to Buffalo to visit her son, so I volunteered to drive and I'll go on to Dunnville. Can't wait, as it's been four or five years since I've been up there.

Off to run some errands,
Have a good one,
Bubs

Last edited by graybubs; 04-10-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Unhappy Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is one georgeous day in the neighborhood. The Iron Monster was unkind to me this day but I totally deserved it considering the week I put in. Lots of us there today did the same this past week. Must be something in the air to make us go so off program. Anyway I am determined once again to regain my FOCUS once again and hang on tight.

BUBBLES do enjoy your trip and be safe! Yep, chocolate is known to kill dogs and yours is fortunate it didn't do that.

GLORIA I am so glad that you didn't get hurt in that quick sit down. That can be scary! Yep, I love this new computer and it is fun geting used to using a mouse. I have had that laptop for so long with that magic square that I need to relearn the mouse. Can't just touch and go anymore.

Have a lovely day ladies.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:04 PM   #6  

Angry

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is so nice outside . . . a "no" jacket kind of day! Most of the snow is gone and the weekend is supposed to be even warmer.

Maggie -- At least you faced the iron monster this week; that's more than I did and I am proud of you! We've been having such a long line and I just wasn't in the mood. Our AF friend has a 3 year call up time after his discharge. I don't know if that has to do with his specialty or what. I'm glad you are enjoying your new computer. DH got a laptop for the office and after one day ordered a mouse for it.

Gloria -- You are so lucky you didn't break anything when you fell! That is my greatest fear as I get older. What good news about your DH; now you can have fun planning your trip and enjoy it even more.

Bubbles -- One of our cats likes chocolate; actually, she likes anything sweet or fresh bread type items. She won't eat soft catfood though. I'm glad that Jimmy is OK! Your trip to Ontario sounds like a fun one. I know you will have a great time! It's bad enough to have to go for the "yearly" check up but to have to go through it twice . . . you are BRAVE! I'm not sure I could do that . . . every year I tell my doctor I'd rather have a root canal than come to see him! We've been together for 27 years so it's not like we are strangers; our kids were even in the same classes at school! He just at me!

I need to make an errand list and get ready for bell choir practice. This is our last time to play until fall -- I have a screwy rhythm and play opposite those on either side of me. I finally began to "get it" when it was time to quit last week. I hope I haven't forgotten!

Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Cool Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

JEAN you can go a bit eariler to WW and avoid the long line. I do that and then have about a half hour to chat with my friends there. It is worth it to me who doesn't like to stand in long lines. Most days when I get there not more than 3 are in line before me and several are already sitting down. We have such a friendly group that lots like getting there half hour early.

Good evening to all........
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

Hi Ladies

I have been busy - here at work and at home. My mom and dad come in tomorrow. I'm going to take a few hours here and there to spend with them and not schedule any particular times. So I've been trying to get ahead on some of my work stuff.

I had a good week and it showed up in the fact that I am now in virgin territory!!!! Again!!! Yeah!!!!

Maggie - You faced the scales this week. Now it's down to business. And focus!!! Your computer sounds so nice. I have great ones here at work. Huge monitors, fastest speeds, lots of RAM. Then I go home. It's got to be going on 10 years??? I think we bought it when kids were still in school and they graduated in '95. It's been good but soooo slllooooowwwwww.

Bubbles - I have to schedule to do al those exams too. I have gotten behind schedule because I hate them so much...

Gloria - It's so great that you found a doctor that can explain things to you. So many of them talk like they would to collegues and I can't understand "doctor talk". My dad has a lot of heart trouble and at 82, he as a good doctor that will talk to him and my mom so they understand whats going on.
So glad you didn't break anything. I have fallen enough times now and broken both hands in separate incidents. It scares me. DH says I walk like an old woman.

Jean - I love that "Did you see your brain in there?" comment. My dgd is 4 and she has learned to roll her eyes. I will ask her that next time I see her do that.

I always go early to ww too because I like to visit. Now I go early to be a member helper. Love it... Just listening to all the excuses at the scales makes me want to never use them again. That's all they are is excuses. So if I stay OP I will lose weight, if not, I won't. So I will stay op. I gotta. 9# more to Onederland....
Old 04-13-2003, 12:21 AM   #9  

Good Evening Flowers!
I am heading for soak in the tub and then to bed. While DH and others painted at Beth's, I washed mini blinds and scrubbed painted woodwork. We put a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep the dog out of the way -- I can sure feel the stiffness creeping in tonight! Climbing has not been on my exercise list!

Maggie -- I have gone to WW early a few times. We can't get in until 5:15 and I always call my "mom" at 5:00 on Tuesdays. We used to weigh at 5 and that was great for those of us who got off work before the rush at 5. The meeting starts at 5:45 and I used to go then and there was rarely ever a line. Our leader is such a "rinky dink" that I quit staying for the meetings. We go through these growth spurts in the late winter/early spring.

Joyce -- CONGRATULATIONS on the new territory! I hope you enjoy your visit with your parents; where do they live? You have to looked surprised/shocked when you ask about your dgd seeing her brain. It'll be interesting to see what her reaction is.

I have to be at church by 7:30 for bell practice tomorrow so I am calling it a night. Have a super Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #10  

Thumbs down

Just peeking in to see if anyone has been visiting in the flower patch since I was here last.

It's terribly windy here today although the sun is out. It would be "hot" if the wind weren't blowing.

I am so proud . . . I didn't mess up my part while playing bells this morning. I was kind of worried because the practice didn't go as well as it could have and that always makes me nervous!

I have been doing my Saturday chores of laundry and cleaning today. I don't think I will ever be organized in this life -- I just seem to shift the piles around. DH says to get rid of it if I haven't worn it or used it in the last year. Easy for him to say!

Enjoy the rest of today and have a marvelous Monday, Flowers.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-14-2003, 11:27 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

A rainey day it is this day on the left coast. It is a nice easy soak in and cleaning of the trees type. April showers surely do make May flowers. We are getting ready to move out. I think we will be moved into our friends back yard who purchased this trailer to stay the last couple of weeks and we can really get down to packing and such. We have taken several boxes over to his shed already which will be quite helpful when it comes time to decide what size trailer to rent to move the stuff in.

I have a dentist appointment this morning and need to get dressed and moving in that direction.

Have a lovely day ladies.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:28 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's very windy and warm -- 86 degrees on my way home from school. Last night the TV weatherman said there was a possibility of rain turning to snow by Friday. I wish this weather would straighten out!

Not much newsy from here today . . . typical Monday at school with 3 students now on in-school suspension. What a waste of time and money. Only one is doing any work; she is only in our program because she "10 day absenced" herself out of a regular math class. We have 31 days of school left and I AM counting!

Maggie -- It's nice to see you today. I don't envy you packing but I'm sure you are getting anxious to get going on your new adventure! I hope the dentist gave you a no cavity check up.

I need to get moving. I have a haircut at 6 and I need to sort through the junk mail. Telemarketers are now leaving messages on the answering machine and that really makes me ! I finally called one back and told them to not call again . . . I hope he remembers!

Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is still gently raining here and what a joy! Love it.

JEAN The dentist appointment was a consolation ~ no work to be done if I don't want my teeth shifted and some capped to make my bite better. Now why in the world would I want to have a better bite? Just one look at me you can tell I have no trouble with eating the way they are. What happened they did a slight shift and all my back teeth no longer touch as they should. I'll have to think long and hard if it will be worth it because once they start the cost may climb steadily due to unforseen capping that may have to be done as the shifting goe on. I hope the telemarketers take your message to heart. If you tell them to "lose my number" by law they have to do just that.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #14  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day in this neighborhood. Sun is shining and the temp was in the low 80's this afternoon. A bit windy but, after all it is April! Of course, tomorrow we are to have rain and then cooler temps will be coming in but I am enjoying today!!!!

We went to Bedford Air Base for our shopping spree and I have just finished putting everything away, which is the biggest part of food shopping.

I am feeling much better. The soreness of my lower back from the fall is going but the color is getting brighter! Purples and yellows and green....the colors of spring. I am eternally grateful that all I have to show is the colors and not some broken bones.

We have made our reservations for the May trip to NC. We will be gone 3 weeks and I am really looking forward to it. Not only seeing the GKs but just getting away. No cooking, cleaning or any of that stuff. Hooray!!!!

MAGGIE Oh, dentist work!! You are right about unforseen expenses in the future. I believe that you must be true to your teeth or they will be false to you. Sorry that is a bad joke. However, I agree that to start some work like that can open a Pandara's Box of epic proportions.

JEAN Your count down has begun and I don't blame you.....It must be tough to deal with school matters and kids who don't give a darn and parents who care even less.
I don't know how you do it. We have an instate program where you can sign up and leave your phone # and you are put on a don't call list. It was to start April 1st but we are still getting some calls. Got to remember to tell them we are on the list and not just hang up...which is so tempting.

JOYCE Hope you have had a great visit with your Mom & Dad. Don't let your work interfere with your life.

Gloria in MA.....Haven't lost any more but am maintaining...which is OK with me. When it happens it will happen. Now I have to think about getting something light on the table. Have a great nite.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:38 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is still very windy and is getting darker as the time goes by. We are supposed to be getting rain later -- we need it badly.

I have had a all day. I don't usually have them so it's very annoying. I signed up to take a crochet class which begins tonight and the next 2 Tuesday nights. I can't read a pattern but have crocheted edges on things. I probably know enough to get myself into trouble!

Maggie -- Shifting your teeth sounds like it would hurt and cost you lots of money. Do they do that with braces? Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Gloria -- DH has a client who works for a "don't call list" and she told him that sometimes it takes up to 6 months for everyone to get the updated lists which change daily. When we had the telemarketer guy speak to our class he said that each state has their own loopholes as to whom is covered by the list. A maintain is better than a gain, any day! May is getting closer and you will be on your way south! I would love the no cooking and no cleaning part!

Donna -- Where are you?

Joyce -- Hope you are enjoying the visit with your parents.

I need to get going and dream up something for supper. Tonight is WW but not sure if I am going as it's been a BAD week. And there is no one to blame except ME, MYSELF, and I! Darn it!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread