South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #1  

Default Starting phase one, need simple meal ideas

Hi.... I am starting phase 1 monday. I am nervous bc this diet seems very constricting bc i am used to WW or Atkins and this seems like high protein low carb and low fat, which is more difficult. Anyway whats some simple meals ideas for phase one. I am a 29 year old guy and dont cook anything crazy (beyond meat and veggies, amd eggs). Is eggs my best best for breakfast, chicken and spinach leaves for lunch and meat and broccoli for dinner? What is some filling snack ideas? Thanks a lot!
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Paulny! You're going to hear this over and over again here, so let me be the first to ask, "Have you read the book?" There is a lot of information about this plan and the different Phases, but it's essential to understand the fundamentals of way of eating. Be sure to check out our FAQ section, and as for simple, easy recipes, we have some really great ideas in our recipe section.

Good luck, and we look forward to hearing from you often! It will be nice to have a guy around again.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #3  
Mous

Paul, do a search on SB menus, recipes and about the diet in general. 3FC has a great recipe area and all the information located at the top of the SB page.

Kalyn's Kitchen is a nice place as well as Food.com and read the food list alloweed and you can use your imigination and have fun in the litchen.
Veggies, eggs and protein are your friends. Beans and salads and lots of different soups are amazing. You can do this.
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #4  
Mous

South Beach Breakfasts – Phase One

* A serving of protein, such as eggs, meat, tofu, or cottage cheese
* At least one serving of vegetables or tomato juice or vegetable cocktail juice (such as V-8)
* A calorie-free beverage such as coffee or tea

South Beach Lunches

* A serving of approved protein
* Several servings of vegetables, including beans (legumes).
Salad
* 1 to 2 Tablespoons of salad dressing 3-4 grams or less of sugar
* Dairy if desired (remembering the limits)
* Calorie-free beverage, such as water

South Beach Dinners

* A serving of approved protein
* Several servings of vegetables, including beans (legumes).
* Dairy - check how much you have left, and add in as desired -
* Approved fat for cooking or dressing vegetables – 1-2 Tablespoons
* Calorie-free beverage

Snacks
The South Beach Diet requires two snacks per day. The ideal snack has both a vegetable and a protein source
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #5  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Hello,

My favorite breakfast is eggs, normally 2-3 hardboiled ones w/ some sort of turkey bacon and cut up veggies as I tend to be on the go and don't really have time to sit and cook something warm (i cook everything the night before). You could also try "egg cup" recipes, which as super yummy too and you can freeze them and then pop them in the microwave for 3 minutes or so.

Lunch wise, I love salads. Simple and easy and if you need to you can get one out and about that conforms to the rules. Another stand by is veggies with a good serving of cheese if I'm having a big dinner or just not hungry.

Dinner wise, A protein + tons of veg. Simple and easy. If you miss the "breading" on meats you can try and find almond meal/ground almonds and do 2 tbsp if you haven't had your nut serving (at least, I did? o.o).

Here's the thing I did WRONG according to the book, I didn't do snacks unless I was hungry (in which case I had the 20 peanuts you are allowed) as my meals weren't at "set times". I know. I know. But, I think the key is to make it work for you!

I highly recommend reading the book though, as it has a LOT of information in there which is a must to getting through phase 1.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #6  
Be happy.

Welcome!

I think once you've figured out exactly what's allowed and what isn't, you won't find SBD so restrictive. Especially if you take advantage of all the recipes here and on Kalyns Kitchen.

If you like eggs, they're probably the best bet for breakfast. I'm not big on eggs so my phase 1 breakfasts are nontraditional - usually left overs from dinner the night before!

As Windsong said, there are lots of great recipes around. A few of my favorite phase 1 recipes are:
*Easy Salsa Baked Chicken
*Taco Bake
*Crack Slaw
*Deep Dish Italian Pie

My favorite snacks are:
*laughing cow cheese with celery
*hummus and veggies
*string cheese and a can of v8
*almonds or pistachios and a can of v8
*cottage cheese with cucumber or red pepper slices

Good luck! I hope you'll be as successful and happy with SBD as I am.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #7  

Thank you so much for the replies!!! It is very encouraging. I feel better about this.
Quick question, can u have danon light n fit in phase 1?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #8  
Mous

MILK/DAIRY
Except for half and half, 2 cups allowed daily, including nonfat yogurt or lowfat plain yogurt
Greek Yogurt nonfat
Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain, vanilla, or artificially sweetened soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per 8 ounce serving). Be sure the product does not contain high fructose corn syrup
1% or fat-free buttermilk
yogurt low fat or nonfat plain
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY WINDSONG View Post
MILK/DAIRY
Except for half and half, 2 cups allowed daily, including nonfat yogurt or lowfat plain yogurt
Greek Yogurt nonfat
Low-fat milk (fat-free and 1%)
Fat-free 1/2 & 1/2 (2 tablespoons)
Low-fat plain, vanilla, or artificially sweetened soy milk (4 grams of fat or less per 8 ounce serving). Be sure the product does not contain high fructose corn syrup
1% or fat-free buttermilk
yogurt low fat or nonfat plain

Do u know if danon light and fit falls into this or does it have to be plain yogurt?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #10  
Mous

I do believe it is for Phase 2.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Are SF Puddings & Yogurt allowed on Phase 1
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #12  

Perfect...Thanks
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 161/156/<130

Height: 5"4"

Hi! Paul, good to see you here. Best of luck with phase I. Once you've read the book, this section of 3FC should be very helpful for you.

I'd stay away from the Dannon light and fits for your 14 days of phase I. I have, and a whole bunch of them are in my fridge waiting for me to enter phase II. I do think they will be a good protein dairy source then, and due to being made with an artificial sweetener, they will not be too high in the glycemic index. However, I don't plan on eating one everyday, maybe every toehr day. I hope that will work out with my metabolism.
plusmince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #14  

Today is day one on the diet. Went food shopping yesterday. I really hope I stick to this. My wedding is in June.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Paul! As you see there are many smart and experienced chicks here that can help with any issue you have. You can definitely do this.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote