Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Age 50+ Counters Club

Welcome to the Age 50+ Counters Club!

Many of us here are counting something in an effort to lose weight and regain health, rather it's calories, carbohydrates, Weight Watcher Points, fat grams, exchanges, or something else. It really doesn't matter what plan you are following, or what age you are, if you feel comfortable with this group, please join us here for support, accountability, and friendship on your journey to better health.

Last edited by Jane; 02-03-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Well, here we go! I have been counting calories, but since it's so easy for me to go overboard with carbs, I thought it's time to give this a serious try and keep my carb count to 110 or less. This amount was recommended for me.

I've lost 53.6 of my 100 pound goal, and while I'm happy with that, I know I feel better when I limit carbs.

How about you? What's your carb counting plan?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jane,

Like you, I started with just calorie counting & keeping a food diary. Being older (I'm 65 now), I quickly realized that not only was the weight coming off slowly, but I was getting insufficient protein & consuming way too many carbs. I started The Insulin Resistance Diet & found their method of linking protein with carbs got my appetite under control very quickly & I felt much better. I found I need a higher protein to carb ratio than they recommend, & I keep net carbs below 100 gms daily. Also, they seem okay with a lot of processed & convenience foods that I feel better avoiding. It took several weeks for me to figure out how to eat for optimal energy & just feeling better in general.

Tracking so much in a food diary may seem too time consuming for some, but I've become accustomed to it & it really takes very little time. It has helped me maintain for about a year now, so I'm happy with it.

I'm interested in how other over 50's manage their carb consumption. I've read that we are all more susceptible to Diabetes as we age, so limiting carb consumption somewhat seems like a good preventative measure.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Good afternoon ladies! May I join you?

I have been on other threads, dropped out over the holidays and realized (after the holiday fudge fest of 2010) that it was time to take back control. I put on 9#'s over Christmas--ouch. The only good thing about that is that when you're at a higher weight to begin with it doesn't really affect that way your clothes fit. So, the clothes still fit but I can see those 9#'s hanging around my waist.

Anyway, enough of that. I turned 50 last fall and I realize I'd really like to be with other women my age. I think this may be the thread for me because I lost all my weight following a low glycemic index diet recommended by my doctor. I lost enough weight to have my doctor remove me from a pre-diabetic status, lower my blood pressure and my cholesterol, & have her take me off my meds for those issues.

I transitioned from low glycemic to calorie counting. I can keep myself satisfied by focusing on lean proteins and large amounts of veggies (mostly green). I limit white foods (bread, potatoes,sugar) although I've been known to allow myself a splurge on occasion. I'm keeping my calories at 1500 and my app says I can have 241 g of carbs but because of the way I eat I am usually a good 70-80 g under their recommendation. That sounds so high compared to you guys!

So, based on what works for me and my age I think this is the thread I'd like to focus on.

Here's my good news: I lost 1.2 pounds this week. YES! I am back on track!

I am using the my fitness pal app on my iphone to track my calories, food, nutrition and exercise.

My goal is to get back in the pool on Monday and on my off days walk on my treadmill. I will be traveling soon but I will probably have pool access when I get to my destination. We'll see....

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone

Last edited by ANewCreation; 01-15-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Joyful retiree - congratulations for your success! I, too, try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Tracking my food is a real plus for me, too. I like to write it all down at night for the next day, or at least right after breakfast. Diabetes runs in my family, so I check it every once in awhile just to make sure it's in line.

ANewCreation - YAY for the loss last week, and for being back on track. Sounds like you enjoy your veggies. I do, too! I like to add a can of tomatoes (fresh when in season) to soups, etc. to stretch the portion and add more nutrition.

I plan to pick up Jorge Cruise's book, or the new Sonoma book tomorrow for tips on low carbing. I went over carbs and calories today, but I allow that on Sundays - a planned treat day, within reason.

How are you doing with your plan?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I have to limit carbs to help with this Insulin Resistance - I am finding it better to avoid them like the plague than to try and count them, and when I do have them it's with alot of protein. So far so good ( mind you I've only been at this for a couple of weeks - and I need to make a lifetime commitment)
Old 01-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #7  

Jane, I love your tip for adding a can of tomatoes to stretch out a soup! I don't know why that never occurred to me--I am a fiend for stewed tomatoes
Thanks and more thanks!

I just got my order from diet direct. They sell a lot of diet products and I'm a big fan of their wonderslim and bariwise products. They are usually low carb and they pack a lot of protein in their bars, soups, puddings, etc. Maybe I'm weird but I really do love their stuff. It's quick, easy, filling and low calorie. I eat mostly whole foods but in a pinch or when I want to compensate for going overboard this is my go to stuff

For example, today I had a cream of tomato soup and a meat stick for lunch. It came to 160c, 23g protein, 7 g carbs. This let me have a little room for some popcorn and the movie theatre. I always get the snack pack with a diet coke and throw away or give away the little candy stick that comes with it. That only comes to about 100c for a nice treat.

Btw, we went to see the Green Hornet and it was really awful. Even my sons thought it was awful and they'll watch anything if you blow enough stuff up. Thumbs down

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #8  

Good Morning All,

ANewCreation -It was good to hear that you were able to be taken off pre-diabetic status, along with the other health benefits of losing weight. I can't help but think that eating lower glycemic had a lot to do with it as well as the weight loss. It also encourages me to try to increase carbs some. Along with getting older, there's a lot of diabetes in my family, so I want to be preventative as much as possible. I'm thinking in terms of "South Beachish" eating. Whatever I decide on, I have at least learned to make changes to my diet planfully & then monitor carefully.

Jane - Thanks for the reminder about the canned tomatoes. I also love them, but sometimes forget just how much. I also like the Rotel's. Do you ever use those? I like to just mix a can of drained Rotel's with a can of drained pintos or black beans for a side dish. They are quick & very tasty if you like spicy food.

Tea Granny - Glad to hear things are going well for you so far.

Jane- Thanks again for starting this thread. I've been bouncing around this site trying to find my fit, & I think this is it. Do you think posting our menus here would be helpful? Or tips for snacks, what kind of treats we allow ourselves to keep on plan, etc?

I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you about how you are doing.

And, Yes, ANewCreation, I'm having a great weekend & hope everyone else is as well.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #9  

Good morning all!

joyful retiree--My doctor thinks as you do and that's why she recommended a l.g.i. way of eating. I no longer look at the g.i. of the foods that I eat but I think I'm on track. It's just so much easier to think in terms of foods to avoid--the list is so much shorter I think many low carb diets embrace the basic l.g.i. way of eating, more or less, so something like S.B. will work well for you. I will say that what I took away from l.g.i. diet is that I was not eating enough protein, and that simple carbohydrates trigger my hunger. I also learned to eat more green veggies. Always been a big fan of green veggies but my family wasn't. Since I'm the cook, I tended to cook for them not myself. It's gotten easier since we've become empty nesters. I am making myself a priority and cooking veggies I like just for me.

Tea Granny, I think upping your protein is the way to go. Like anything else, we tweak and rework until we come up with a plan that works for us. I've been doing this for well over a year and I'm still open to new ways of succeeding

Take care!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #10  

Hi everyone, I think this is the place I belong as well. I need to limit carbs, especially starches pretty radically. I am doing the new Weight watchers point system, and eating low glycemic index foods mostly. I'm finding it works for me.
My addiction response to foods is pretty strong. But I can minimize it with protein, and timing.

My biggie is realizing when I have inadvertently (or purposely, lol) set off the cravings, and having a plan in place.

I think tweaking a plan to fit, will be the reason this can become a true way of eating..... not a diet.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Tea Granny - Welcome to the group! You are so right about following a plan for life. Once we accept that, it seems easier to live with, don't you think so?

NewCreation - you had me laughing out loud about what you said about the movie and your sons' reaction. What is a meat stick? Like you, I do cook some veggies for myself that my DH (Neal) won't touch with a 10 foot pole. I eat lots of them raw, in salads, too He doesn't like squashes, bell peppers of any color, sugar snap peas, green beans, or hunky tomatoes, or anything "unusual". In other words, he will eat corn and peas, and a few carrots. Onions, only if they are cooked! But I fix them for myself, anyway!

Joyful Retiree - I love Rotel tomatoes! Another use for tomatoes is to add them to green beans, with some diced onion, and a bit of Italian seasoning. Yum! You can post any kinds of tip, lists, or whatever you want here.

Bunti - welcome aboard! Tweaking a plan to be doable has been working well for me, so far, and I think it will work for you, too. I like how WW is counting carbs now along with calories, fat and fiber.

Hello to everyone reading this.

I'm finding that I need to increase my carbs, because I feel deprived, so I'm going to play around with my allowance a bit to see what works.

Here's a top for when you have the munchies: mix a 1/2 cup of salsa with 1 Tbl. ranch dressing, and dip fresh "free" veggies in it. This really helps when you need to get more veggies, and you want some crunch, too.

Tomorrow Neal has surgery, and will have to stay over for (probably) just one night, so I won't be able to check in until sometime Wednesday. There is very poor internet reception in the hospital, so I won't bother taking my laptop. Stay OP, and I'll check back when I can.

Hugs,
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #12  

Jane, a meat stick is sort like a slim jim. I get these from diet direct. They are only 70 calories, with 3g of carbs and 11g of protein. Nice snack to keep in the car or around the house if you need something to tide you over. And, it sounds as if our husbands are pretty much then same, except mine won't eat peas. Corn and green beans are the only veggies he'll eat. He doesn't care for fruit. But, he will eat a chef salad. In the last couple of years I've converted him from iceberg to romaine. Hehehe.

I hope your hubby is feeling better soon and all goes well with the surgery.

Bunti, I think you're in the right place. And, I think you have a good plan!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi all,
I'm jumping on the low carb wagon with y'all. It's tough for me because I still have active 18 yo twins in high school, one who requires over 5000 calories per day due to his workouts and sports. Every evening I prepare big dinners for them, and it's a lot more work to prepare low carb meals for myself. I know, just another excuse. ;-) This week I'm planning and cooking ahead so there will always be low carb choices close at hand. Good luck to all.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #14  

Hello All,

Jane - Here's hoping all goes well with your DH's surgery. Let us know how he's doing when you have a chance. That green beans & tomato dish sounds so good.

Bunti & Webwoman - It sounds like you guys are getting it all together with planning. How many carbs a day are you allowing yourselves. Bunti, you call it food addiction, I call it carb addiction. I think we are talking about the same thing & for me finding that sweet spot with carbs where I can eat food I enjoy, have appetite control & not feel deprived is so important if I'm going to maintain for the rest of my life.

I'm enjoying hearing about how everyone is finding a plan they can live with. It's so interesting to me to find that after a year of maintaining, I'm still having a hard time giving up all the sort of rigid & controlling things I did to lose weight & maintain so far. After posting on this thread that I was happy with all the tracking & the food diary, I started really thinking about it, & I'm not so sure that I am. It has become a habit, but part of my reluctance to moving forward with a more relaxed approach to maintaining is a strong fear of regaining. That's why I find ANewCreation's success with low GI so encouraging. I would really enjoy a few more carbs if my body will handle them & I am thinking of a trial run of portion control & Low GI, with simple whole foods as much as possible (I think that's sort of South Beachish). If I start gaining or my appetite increases, I can always cut back on the carbs. Oh boy, this is really scary to contemplate.

Tea Granny - I agree about the lifetime commitment. Even if I don't like it, I have finally come to accept the fact that I can never eat what I use to consider "normal". I have the FAT GENE & that's just not going to change. LOL!

Today's Menu Plan-
Before breakfast I always have coffee with 2 T. half & half

B: 1 slice WW toast, 2 egg cheddar & broccoli omelet, topped with salsa, 1 c. milk

L: Grilled Chicken breast with cole slaw & that green bean dish Jane posted.

S: 1/2 c. LF Cottage Cheese with a canned in juice peach half. (if needed)

D: Ham & Cheese Sandwich on WW bread, small apple & 1 c. milk.

That's 94 net carbs if I eat it all.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #15  

Good afternoon ladies!

WebWoman, I think you're very strong to fix not only what your teens need but to fix what you need to eat right also. Kudo's and applause to you! I'd like to hear what you do to make that work.

In that spirit, I'd like to hear from everyone what they do to make it work when they eat differently from the rest of the house.

Here's my situation. Mostly because I hate to cook , I take part in a neighborhood meal co-op. There are 4 families involved. We each cook once a week and then in return we get 3 additional meals. Cook once=eat 4x a week! Because there are only two of us, this means I have enough food to either freeze, eat for lunch or have planned leftovers for the rest of the week.

Now, you would think since I'm low carbing, dieting, etc that this would be my worst nightmare but actually it works out better than you would think. Worst case scenario there is nothing I can eat (and as of this posting that has never happened in the two months we've been doing this) but at least I wouldn't have to cook for DH. Usually what we get is a cut of meat (very seldom do any of us make 'casserole' type food), a side (salad, steamed veggie, sometimes fruit), and a bread or dessert. Hubby doesn't usually like veggies so I eat most of the veggie. I don't eat the bread but hubby loves bread so he eats my share. We share the salad most of the time. Hubby doesn't eat fruit so that's usually my dessert. I keep frozen veggies around so in a pinch I will cook additional veggies to round out my meal. I will also buy fresh produce on occasion. When I do, I cook enough for several meals and eat that during the week. It also helps round out the leftover meals. I skip potatoes, pasta and substitute a green vegetable. Spinach, zucchini and cabbage are my favorites. I also like broccoli and asparagus. I am a big fan of the single serving, steam in the microwave bags too. But, you can't get everything packaged like that When I know we're having a sandwich I will often put the sandwich toppings on salad or over spaghetti squash--delish! When we had meatball subs last week I had the sauce & meatballs over the spaghetti squash--I actually had it several times that week and loved every bite!

I will make myself accountable at the end of the day with my calorie and carb count. Since I already track my menu on my iphone I am good there.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of you are doing!
Closed Thread