Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Default What's the meanest thing someone said to you because of your weight?

So I was reading my other thread about turning points, and some of the experiences people have written about included some pretty mean and hurtful comments from others and it got me wondering: What's the meanest thing someone ever said about your weight, or experience you had regarding your weight?

For me, it would have to be an experience I had with my uncle. I used to be a gym rat and worked out all the time. As a result, I was in excellent shape. Skip ahead to getting married, moving away from home and going through 2 years of infertility treatments, and a 12 pound baby later, I gained about 100 pounds. After being away for those 2 years, I went home for a family get-together and my uncle comes up to me and says: "Good lord, I'll bet you would have just adopted if you knew it was going to do that to your A$$!" while I was holding my newborn son. The other family members that were standing around thought that was high comedy, which made me feel as if they advocated what my uncle just said. But I'm a natural redhead and I just looked at him and said "Well, I thought about following your weight loss plan, but I figured staying drunk, beating my wife and going to jail for 3 months would take too much time". Right there I just voiced 3 taboos in my family...don't talk about their drinking, beating their wives or what sort of low lifes they really are. I packed up my son, we left and I haven't talked to any of them since. My son is now 5 and doesn't know anyone on my side of the family.
What makes people think some of the things they say to overweight people is ok???
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/245.5/141

Height: 5'3

Mine was definitely over the summer.

I was traveling through the UK with my family, and we were staying at a picturesque castle in Scotland. I fell head over heels in love with the place - secret gardens, a lake, hiking trails, groves, etc. I was reading a Bridal magazine while at tea with my family and made a joke that this was where I was going to get married.

My dad turned to me and said, in all seriousness, "Don't count on getting married."

I stopped and asked him why, thinking he was going to say something funny like "Where are you gonna get the money? I'm not paying to give you away!" or something like that.

Instead he kind of turned his eyes down and told me, "You can't expect to get married looking the way you do."

I remember just staring in horror. My dad is like my white knight - always told me I was beautiful, always stood up for me. Suddenly, he punched me in the stomach. If he didn't think someone would love me, who would?

I couldn't look my family in the eyes for the rest of the day. I was mortified.
clurrrburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #3  

Clurrburr, yours was one I was thinking of when I wrote this post. I was livid for you. And if that's you in your avatar, you are beautiful!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/245.5/141

Height: 5'3

Ha! Yep - me and 2/3 of my brothers!
And thank you - you're sweet.

I told my best friend when we got back into the country, and she nearly called him to yell at him.

Yours was not kind either! I don't get why people think they can talk to us this way!
clurrrburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

My heart goes out to both of you ladies. We should never have to hea these hurtful things especially from our family!
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

My step sister took some pics a couple Christmases ago when I was still at my heaviest. She made sure to tell me that when she showed the pics to a friend of hers they said, "Who's the pregnant chick???" Referring to me. I also ran into a guy I went to middle and high school with and he didn't even recognize me. He wasn't trying to be mean but didn't recognize me at all and after I finally got him to remember who I was all he said was, "Wow, you look...different." that was so hard to hear.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #7  
~Kim~

Game that's awesome that you were strong enough to stand up for yourself and say that to your uncle. What a jerk. So many people wouldn't be able to say a word.

I've never had a lot of mortifying experiences when it comes to my weight. The only two I can really think of involve a car I used to own. I had a little mazda miata when I was in highschool till I was about 22.

I had a new top put on it and my dad took me to pick it up when it was ready. I was writing the check out to the guy and my dad was talking to him and he said, "I don't know why such a big girl likes these little cars." My dad and I don't have a great relationship, never have, and I've always felt like he's had a problem with having overweight kids.. that was the first time he ever made me feel like crap about it though.

And then one time when I was around 20 I was getting gas, and a car full of girls drove by and they were chanting "fat b!tch in a little car." I was so upset but I just pretended like I couldn't hear them.

When both those things happened I was probably more like between 200 and 220. Long time ago, but both those incidents really stick with me.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Mine was when I offered my maternity clothes to a relative who was NOT skinny. They replied "Those would fall off of me." I totally gained a good 60lbs more and kept it for years before I did anything about the weight. Im now good friends with her but I will never forget what she said to me.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

to both of you my heart goes out to you and gamegrl way to go on the comeback that is awesome.
for me,
your *** is flabby, look at you who would want you, also when I once commented about not having sex for years - who would want to do that with you, your body shocked me (cause I have stretch marks from being pegnant).... ex husband. 7 years ago he got a job at the company where my daughter worked (cause he never really worked anyways)and she had a higher and better paying job then him.... and she made him know it too!
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #10  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

I was at the bar with my gorgeous skinny friend (who happens to be married), she was getting hit on by some drunk guy and she tried to pawn him off on me but he was like "I want you, not her, shes huge"....

I mean its not like he was cute or even my type but it shot through me like an arrow. I want to be the gorgeous thin girl that gets the attention too!!
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

During my freshman year of college, I was talking to a boy that I had sorta dated/ had a fling with when I was in high school. I was with someone else when we were having this conversation, and was really over him by that point. However, I asked him why we had never been "official".

His response: "Well, I wanted to, but I was already getting a ton of he** from my friends about....well, you know. Your weight and all."
Which basically meant I was good enough to fool around with but too fat to actually be someone's girlfriend.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I have 2 and a half stories:

One day I was getting out of the car with my husband and a truck
full of teenagers were driving down the street. One of them yelled "MOO" out the window; I was looking right at him and we made eye contact so there is no doubting what that was about.

In another incident, I was in the grocery store in the dairy aisle and a youngish couple was picking out yogurt. I heard the guy say, "don't get that; you'll end up looking like that." I was the only other person in the aisle. He didn't even bother lowering his voice.

The half story isn't a verbal one. I was in the health food store with my husband who is a VERY good looking guy; he's 6'2", long auburn hair down the middle of his back and weighs about 200, so pretty fit (he's also 12 years younger then me... how lucky am I hehehe). He had his arm around me and was snuggling on me as he usually is. There was a gym bunny couple at the next check out line who obviously cared a great deal about looks (both were primped to the nines and dressed very carefully) and I saw them looking at us, giving each other questioning looks, and kind of smirking and boggling at the same time. That one really bugs me even though I am assuming what was going on.

Also, this is hotstuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgrrl View Post
"Well, I thought about following your weight loss plan, but I figured staying drunk, beating my wife and going to jail for 3 months would take too much time".
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 299/263/150

Height: 5' 4"

I have a coworker that has made several comments. For instance if she's telling a story she has said something like "she was a really big woman, probably about your size." And recently when I was preparing to move to one of our other offices and she found out where my temporary desk would be she said "Your chair may be too big for that space. As a matter of fact, you may not even fit there." I would like to think she doesn't say things like that to be intentionally rude but it certainly is. I try not to let it get to me when it comes from her because she is known as the office gossip and is judgmental of everyone. And for the record, my space is small but I fit there just fine.
gagirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl1 View Post
I have a coworker that has made several comments. For instance if she's telling a story she has said something like "she was a really big woman, probably about your size." And recently when I was preparing to move to one of our other offices and she found out where my temporary desk would be she said "Your chair may be too big for that space. As a matter of fact, you may not even fit there." I would like to think she doesn't say things like that to be intentionally rude but it certainly is. I try not to let it get to me when it comes from her because she is known as the office gossip and is judgmental of everyone. And for the record, my space is small but I fit there just fine.

Wow...just wow...you know, I've never been "handicapped" with niceness...I would have to come up with a story about someone not that bright and say "She wasn't that bright...maybe just a little smarter than you..."
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

Upon meeting my size 0 sister, an ex-boyfriend said: "Are you sure you guys have the same father? How can she be so thin and perfect and you look like, well...that?"
Dee SoKo is offline   Reply With Quote