WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default New Points Program Really Low Carb??

I was looking through the post on this board and was trying to figure out if the new points system is really a low carb plan?

(I ask because I never seem to have any luck with low carb anything)

Thanks!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I don't find it low carb. I have my cereal every morning, rice with dinner most nights. I'm not a big sandwich eater. But I had pizza last week, and sushi and my beer has carbs in it.

It does try to steer you away from heavily processed carbs - goldfish and pretzals as snacks, Vitatops, etc.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/197/160

Height: 5.2.5

Default points plus

It factors in carbs, fats, fibre and protein to figure the points value. It is real life eating. But More thinking about what we are putting in our mouths!
I really feel that I can do this, (this time). The program has changed for the better.

Terri
terrod99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #4  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Ok, thanks! I think I am going to check out a meeting today for the first time!

Thanks!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221 START/215 CURRENT/150 GOAL

Height: 5'7"

Hi I'm New Here And Was Thinking About Trying Ww. And Was Wondering Do You Have To Go To Meetings Or Can You Get All The Things You Need From Online?
Pamela1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #6  

Default daily consumption of pro points

can any body please tell me how many points (according to new pro points ) should i consume daily
randoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

With ww it can be as low carb as you wish or as high carb as you like, up to you! Because fruit and most veggies are zero pts of course they want you to enjoy more of them but that is totally up to you and your preferences. What I love about ww is that you can tweak it to fit any lifestyle and it works! hope that answers the orig question on here.
Pamela, you can go to meeting if you like or join online or just buy an at home kit off ebay or the ww site depending on where you live and do it from home, all up to you
randoosh, everyone's daily pts are different depending on their height, sex, etc and that is one bit of info we can't give out on these threads but if you join ww online or buy a calculator etc it will tell you
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 221 START/215 CURRENT/150 GOAL

Height: 5'7"

Thanks a bunchies Spryng, I will have to look for that at home kit. It sounds just right for me.
Pamela1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #9  

not low carb per se, and not like atkins because you can eat fruit without counting it and the carb vegetables don't usually count. but, if i eat anything else with carbs, even whole wheat, it literally eats my points. and anything with fat. so when i'm done with my signup period, i might just keep something similar, counting carbs, free fruit, within a daily calorie limit.

Last edited by thinner; 01-20-2011 at 10:47 PM.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/185/222/goal 160-145

Height: 5'7

I love the new points program. In order to this though you will need to recalculate how many points you can have but also realize that the point counts in many foods have changed (gone up). This is not a low carb diet per say, but highly processed foods that lack nutritional value have a lot more points than they used to - sugar counts a lot too.. one of my lowfat yogurts now has 5 pts!! Anyway.. I lost 8 at first weigh in and I eat a drumstick desert most nights. I am feeling great.. no cravings, no binging, and feel that I have continued to lose on my second week.. I have weigh in tomorrow.. fingers crossed...
ravenousblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #11  

Default Howdy

Used to post/read here a zillion years ago - been doing fine weigh-wise, but decided to take a look at the new WW plan (I've been doing 123 since it started, never bothered to change.)

Anyway, I'll reiterate what others have said - the new plan is not so much "low carb" but instead of only taking fat (and fiber) into account, the point values also factor in protein and carbs; a much more comprehensive approach.

For many things the point values have climbed, for a few they've gone down. Most importantly however is that one gets more points with which to work daily, plus a rather generous weekly allowance (I have to get used to that, my mindset was range and carrying over unused points daily, resetting at the end of a week).

I've also rejoined WW for the first time in over a decade because I'm helping a friend with it, and want to be there to give her the full support.

Anyway, I'm sure nobody will remember me, and I wasn't up to finding my old user name/info - but this and that place where erm... what is and isn't allowed on the boards is a bit different, are my two favorite places to read, ask, chat, and answer when I'm able.

So greets to all, and I look forward.
harobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186.6/166.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi All,

This is actually my very first post, although I've been lurking for over a year. I'm curious as to the new Points+ WW program. I've used the regular points before and have continued to use it eventhough I've not gone to meetings. I was wondering if it is so much different (as I've noticed that the points on the WW bread is now listed as 2 instead of 1) and if members who have used both could share their experiences. Thanks so much.
proulxliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #13  

yes the new points plus program is verrrry different from the old one. no comparison as far as points to points, etc. i only did the old one several years ago and it just didn't work for me then. i decided to see what the new program was about so i signed up for three months. for two and a half weeks i lost, then this week gained .4. grrr...i'll finish the three months and see closer to when i'd have to cancel or renew.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #14  
Less of a Better Me

I've done the "old" Points program, the much older Exchange program and the current program. This program is not as much a difference as going from the exchange program to points which was a huge, fundamental change.

This is very similar to the older Points program in that each food gets points, you can spend your points as you choose, and you get a certain number of weekly points.

The differences are in how the points are calculated which results in certain types of foods being more encouraged (since they are lower point) and certain foods of little nutritional benefit no longer being encouraged since they are now higher point. Fruit is now zero point which for some people is a huge change. I'm not a big fruit person so didn't really make that much difference to me.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #15  

Wow! Exchange program! You just brought back a way old memory for me. I remember the equals one bread, and the like, stuff now! Thank you for the smile!
harobed is offline   Reply With Quote