Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #1  

Question How do you afford IP foods?

Hello, all,
Glad I found you. This is my first post. I am a woman, 58 years old, 5 foot 4 and 194 pounds as of today. Highest ever. I went to my chiropractor today and he runs a an Ideal Protein support group. He wants me to join. He says I can expect to lose 3 pounds a week. I have heard that meals are $5 each. $15 a day times seven days a week is $105 a week. That's $420 a month for a 12-pound loss, or $35 a pound. If I win the lottery, I will join in a flash. How do you all manage to pay for the food? Plus delivery costs, right?

Please somebody tell me there is a way to do this financially. I would LOVE to get my life and self-esteem back, and avoid diabetes, joint replacement and pancreatic cancer, which is where I am heading now. Weight Watchers used to work, but it doesnt work for me any more. Atkins didn't work, even though my litmus paper was the right color. I need help I can afford. How do you do it?
tego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #2  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Hi tego, and welcome! There is a thread to check out for alternative ideas - check out the links listed on the first page. How much are you currently spending on junk food? Have you added it up lately? How much do your meds and medical care cost? Cost of diabetes, joint replacement, cancer, etc are much higher than just financial. IP does work. You can do this!! And if you try it I guarantee that you will feel much better!! Good luck and best wishes!
SallyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tego View Post
Hello, all,
Glad I found you. This is my first post. I am a woman, 58 years old, 5 foot 4 and 194 pounds as of today. Highest ever. I went to my chiropractor today and he runs a an Ideal Protein support group. He wants me to join. He says I can expect to lose 3 pounds a week. I have heard that meals are $5 each. $15 a day times seven days a week is $105 a week. That's $420 a month for a 12-pound loss, or $35 a pound. If I win the lottery, I will join in a flash. How do you all manage to pay for the food? Plus delivery costs, right?

Please somebody tell me there is a way to do this financially. I would LOVE to get my life and self-esteem back, and avoid diabetes, joint replacement and pancreatic cancer, which is where I am heading now. Weight Watchers used to work, but it doesnt work for me any more. Atkins didn't work, even though my litmus paper was the right color. I need help I can afford. How do you do it?
If he's charging $5/packet he's charging too much. They should be $4, they're worth it, and there are alternatives -- just make sure you get something with all the essential amino acids, pure protein isolate, very low carbs, and at least 18 gr of protein per serving.

You might check out http://www.vitacost.com/Syntrax-Nect...rotein-Isolate $26.95/2 pounds.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive protein, even at $4/serving. Even the premium sample pack of 30 flavors of whey isolate from trueprotein.com -- the most expensive way to buy whey isolate on this site -- is only a bit over $1.00 per 50g of WPI. In bulk, it's much, much cheaper. (No, I don't work for or get a kickback from trueprotein.)

That's assuming you need a powder to begin with. The research is very clear that any high-quality protein source, including from whole foods, will provide the necessary amino acids for an adult. It's often much, much cheaper per gram of protein, just as low fat/carb, a lot tastier, and a lot more likely to translate into long-term dietary changes.

Sorry to barge in, I just hate to see anyone waste their money on overpriced protein. (And, if I were the original poster, I'd find a new chiropractor. I think it's unconscionable for him to press a client to join a support group so that he can sell her overpriced supps.)

//b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Wow, that's ridiculously expensive protein, even at $4/serving. Even the premium sample pack of 30 flavors of whey isolate from trueprotein.com -- the most expensive way to buy whey isolate on this site -- is only a bit over $1.00 per 50g of WPI. In bulk, it's much, much cheaper. (No, I don't work for or get a kickback from trueprotein.)

That's assuming you need a powder to begin with. The research is very clear that any high-quality protein source, including from whole foods, will provide the necessary amino acids for an adult. It's often much, much cheaper per gram of protein, just as low fat/carb, a lot tastier, and a lot more likely to translate into long-term dietary changes.

Sorry to barge in, I just hate to see anyone waste their money on overpriced protein. (And, if I were the original poster, I'd find a new chiropractor. I think it's unconscionable for him to press a client to join a support group so that he can sell her overpriced supps.)

//b. strong
I'd just like to clarify, it is not just protein powder, it is a meal replacement. It is a bit pricey, but for weight loss it is worth it If someone were able to stick with the same shake for the entire journey using another type of protein isolate then that's fantastic! I think I would get bored though.
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #6  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I pay $4 a pack and I can't afford not to. I use to spend over $100 a week eating out and on alcohol easily. I have my health and life back. Worth every darn dime
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #7  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Hello, all,

Really sit down and look at your budget...where are you spending your money now. Look at what is in your cupboards, what groceries are you spending money on that you shouldn't be.

I realized that I was spending about $40/week on take-out coffee alone. I no longer eat take-out food. I still buy a lot of "junk" food for my family, (no weight issues there!), but taking out my share equalled buying IP food.

This is a program that works! You lose weight quicker then any other program out there and learn to eat in a healthy manner. It's a lifestyle change that can alleviate and prevent a lot of weight related health issues.

Food is $4/pkt and most people have 3/day (some have 4 or 5) You mentioned delivery costs...for what? I get my packets from my coach when I weigh in each week. There is no charge for that. There are alternative products out there that will give good results but you have to be willing to do your research. Read the alternative thread posts, there are a few people on this forum who use alternative products exclusively and they can help you out with that.

Good luck
Mamadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Height: 5' 6"

The cost does add up with a starter fee and supplements but to me it really is worth it if you are going weekly to meet with your dr., check inches lost, and weigh in. If it was the Ideal to Go though I don't think I would have used my money in that way because being able to sit down with a coach was so helpful. There is so much accountability that's added by a weekly check in. It was a much different experience then a WW meeting where if I gained 5 pounds in one week the person weighing me wouldnt' say much other than- rough week?

I took the cost of the packets into consideration as if it was a Dr. appointment. When I sit down with any Dr. it usually is only for a few minutes and they charge a hefty fee (thank goodness for health insurance). So when I would pay money for packets, I saw it as, I'm paying the Coach to help me with my health and the packets are a bonus I don't usually get in a dr. appointment.

After 3 months on the program I actually feel like I have all the skills, tools, habits, and my own sense of accountability, that I am moving forward with alternative products. I think if I would have started directly with Alternative products I probably wouldn't have lost as much on my own. The other reason I'm transitioning to other products was my Coach was an hour away from me and after 3 months it just wore on me to much.

I think people considering this diet should look at their own habits and pattern of weightloss to see what they need to effectively lose weight first and then look at cost. Times are tough though and If financially it is just not possible, I think starting out with alternatives is great and even better if you have people close to you who can support you, including this forum. Also if it is really expensive, consider signing up letting the IP Coach know you only plan to be on the diet for 2 months- this way you can get your toolbox together to move to the alternative.

For me the alternative products aren't really as good as IP in taste and are less in the percent of protein but you can make up by adding more protein. It still gets the job done and you begin to acquire different tastes. I know that I can't stand anything that has the aspartme in it and get a head ache so I always try to by the ones with sucrolose (splenda). Supplements I think are key also to consider, the potassium pills through IP make my body feel so much better than purchasing the regular potassium at the grocery store.

Good luck to you and any others considering. Consultation and support has been key for me and I have learned 20X more on this site than from my IP coach but I wouldn't change the past 3 months of having a coach for anything as it really helped me stick with the diet. The text messages he'd send me for support and turning in my food journal each week got me through some tough times. I also think I probably spent just the same amount on IP as I did coffee, wine, weekly desserts etc when I wasn't on a diet. LETTUCE and Zuchinni are super cheap!!
kcjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #9  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

I have to concur about the "comparison" point.

Remember that the $4 a pack is replacing most of your other groceries for 2 meals a day. All you are buying is veggies (darn cheap for most of us) and your 5-7 oz of protein for dinner.

I don't know what your diet looks like now, but for me, once I subtracted alcohol, eating out, drinking starbucks drinks, take out food, happy hour snax, movie theatre popcorn, as well as eggs, cheese, meats, for breakfast and lunch, (and a whole lot of other stuff I was eating on a regular basis), I came out ahead on dollars. And on nutrition, of course.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #10  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

The expense of IP actually helped keep me from cheating. I knew that if I cheated, it would end up costing me more money.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that shows alternative products.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...vdXAza3c&hl=en
amylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/155/155 -- revised to /145

Height: 5'6"

After reading your list of looming/current medical issues, I'll simply ask "Can you afford not to?"
IP works.
calebs grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #12  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I pay $4 a pack and I can't afford not to. I use to spend over $100 a week eating out and on alcohol easily. I have my health and life back. Worth every darn dime
mine is a little over $4 a pack at $30 a box (but everything costs more in San Francisco - it's like living in manhattan!), and my start up cost was close to $700 with the the blood work and vitamins (this is a lot more $$ than most have paid, i've heard), but it was probably the best thing i could have ever done for myself. significant weight loss = no knee replacement surgery. besides, i was spending $120-$300 a week on alcohol alone (like i said, SF is expensive). this program is completely and utterly worth every penny.
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #13  
Began IP on 9-1-10

S/C/G: 201/157/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Hello, all,

I thought it was going to be a real strain on my budget, but in reality, it's about the same as I was spending on junky food and Pepsi! Why don't you get a little notebook and add up what you actually spend this week on food and drinks? If you look at each packet as a meal... doesn't sound so expensive for a whole, complete meal.

Ask your chiropractor what the actual cost would be... even the ready-to-drinks are less than $5 where I go. Also, I've never heard of delivery costs being added onto the price, unless you live so far away from your provider that your supplies need to be mailed.

Also, when counting the costs, remember to factor in the value of the supplements, medical supervision and coaching. Most medically supervised diets are way more expensive than IP.

It's truly been worth it to me!
Jaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I would consider shopping around your area for another provider of the IP products.

We have a wide range of start up prices here in Arizona but, most of the clinics are only charging 4.00 a packet or 27.00 per box. No delivery fee unless you actually have the product shipped to you.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I would consider shopping around your area for another provider of the IP products.

We have a wide range of start up prices here in Arizona but, most of the clinics are only charging 4.00 a packet or 27.00 per box. No delivery fee unless you actually have the product shipped to you.
CARLA!! there you are! everyone has been asking/wondering where you have been and if you are ok. I hope all is well and glad you are bad.
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote