Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Default An Article for those thinking of Jenny or Nutrisystems

Yahoo article that taste tests the two.

I don't do either, but thought helpful for those here.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I like how the article says they taste okay- well that's the whole point of the system isn't it? If the food is amazing you'll just eat it all.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/214/150

Height: 5'4"

I am wondering how Nutrisystem has changed. I tried it 5 years ago and the food was gross-except the pudding LOL! I remember one of the soups was smelled so horrid, it made my stomach turn-smelled worse than dog food. I wound up selling the rest of the food on Ebay-after 2 weeks I couldn't take it anymore. I tried Jenny Craig about 4 years ago and LOVED the food! It just got too expensive for me when my work hours got cut down so I had to quit.
candyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I have thought about Nutrasystem because I'm lazy. And cheap. I keep hearing how it's so much less expensive than Jenny Craig. I did Jenny Craig about five years ago and most of the food was ok - not something I'd beg for the recipe but a step above Lean Cuisine. Nutrasystem looks like shelf stable stuff - I'm not a fan of canned ravioli and in my head, that's what I assume it's like.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #5  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyjunkie View Post
I am wondering how Nutrisystem has changed. I tried it 5 years ago and the food was gross-except the pudding LOL! I remember one of the soups was smelled so horrid, it made my stomach turn-smelled worse than dog food.
Been there, done that! I reviewed Nutrisystem for the site a few years ago. I know some people like it and I hope I don't offend anyone. But it was truly the lowest quality food I've encountered. The tuna casserole reminded me of the old Bassomatic SNL skit. I tried to give it to my dog and she backed away. The packaged bars were ok, they were like every other similar packaged bar on the market. But the food was worse than bad.

I sampled a few days worth of Jenny Craig and it was better. I've been told that the frozen JC food is much better than the shelf stable JC food.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I lose 60 lbs on Nutrisystem almost 20 years ago (for a wedding). The food was pretty horrible. At the time I was working in a juvenile detention home and two coworkers brought in military field rations for the kids to see. The food was almost identical to my Nutrisystem meals (down to the add-water tomato paste packets).

My sister went on Nutrisystem last year, and I thought surely the food would have changed (but apparently not for the better, it seems to me that it's more expensive with fewer choices than I remember).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I like how the article says they taste okay- well that's the whole point of the system isn't it? If the food is amazing you'll just eat it all.

I find it sad and disheartening that so many people still believe that you can't lose weight on amazing food.

I didn't think anyone still believed the old saying "if it tastes good, you can't have it."

Last edited by kaplods; 01-28-2011 at 09:16 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #7  

Try the new frozen Nutrisystem foods, they are 10X better!
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I worked at Jenny Craig and found some of the food to be quite good especially the frozen items , the shelf stable foods I didn't like at all. I tried NutriSystem years ago and didn't like it much, tried it again about a year ago I find that it is mediocre at best, not very good at all. If you just don't want to cook you can do better with Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice. And MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-01-2011 at 09:52 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #9  

Another alternative to Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones is Schwans has their own healthy line. They have 3 different plans and one is weight. I have heard pretty good things about it. I know a few of the girls on NS who ordered the frozen food mixed some of the Schwans in with the plan and they really like it. They have sales now and then. I am thinking about trying them. I live in a pretty small town and the Kroger only carries so many varieties for healthy frozen meals and I need to find replacements for when I am done with the NS program.
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote