Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301/299/140

Height: 5'9"

Talking New Here & Very Excited!!

First name: Meghann

Geographical location: Chicago, IL

Marital Status: Married for almost 8 years.

Children/Ages: Bruce-6, Hunter-4, Kaitlyn-2.5

Pets: None (yet)

Hobbies/Interests: I love creating my own recipes and cooking/baking, I love to read, I love being outdoors - hiking, camping, being at the beach, etc., and I love photography.

Eye/Hair Color: Blue/Light brown

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: TODAY! 1/10/2011

Starting Weight: 301

Present Weight: 301

Goal Weight: 140-145

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Will power/Self control. Motivation and accountability (which is why I'm here!)

Following any specific plan: Cardio & strength training 5-6 days/week, counting calories and journaling my food and progress.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I'm finally ready to do this, for real, and for the long haul. It's not just a diet this time, it's a change in my lifestyle.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am here to open myself up in a way that I never have, to anyone, ever. I need to be honest with myself in order to be honest with all of you.
When I stepped on the scale this morning it gave me the shocking number of 301 lbs. I have never weighed this much, and never thought it would happen. Seriously, though, whoever THINKS they would one day be obese? I am ashamed of what my body has become; I am ashamed of how lazy I have allowed myself to get, and how I let this happen. I have no one to blame but myself.
With that said, I am ready to begin my journey away from this unhealthy weight, and I will NEVER allow it back on my body.
I want this forum to become a part of my everyday routine. I will report my food, exercise, accomplishments and setbacks. I know there will be setbacks along the way, but only momentary. I will not fail at this. I will not give up!
When I think about my goal weight of 140-145 lbs, and I see my current weight, it's completely overwhelming! So here is how I have decided to break it down and make it look much more attainable: I have 160 lbs to lose, 20 lbs at a time - that's 8 small goals. I can totally do that!
Meghann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #2  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Meghann Hi
You are at the right place. You will find encouragement and motivation here. We are all working at our weight loss with struggles and great joys. It's wonderful that you have broken it down to 20 Lbs. at a time. That makes me feel better about the road in front of me...thank you for that advice!
I hope you have a happy new year full of joy and happiness. Congratulations on the wise healthy decision you have made about your life.
Oh I was going to tell you to keep a journal with the date your weight and your measurements...so you can watch those numbers go down. Sometimes if I am feeling low or I think it is going slow I look at my journal and I can see everything is going along just fine.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal4agirl View Post
Meghann Hi
You are at the right place. You will find encouragement and motivation here. We are all working at our weight loss with struggles and great joys. It's wonderful that you have broken it down to 20 Lbs. at a time. That makes me feel better about the road in front of me...thank you for that advice!
I hope you have a happy new year full of joy and happiness. Congratulations on the wise healthy decision you have made about your life.
Oh I was going to tell you to keep a journal with the date your weight and your measurements...so you can watch those numbers go down. Sometimes if I am feeling low or I think it is going slow I look at my journal and I can see everything is going along just fine.
Thank you so much for the encouraging words and advice. It definitely makes me feel welcome here, and that I have made a smart decision by joining this website.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'8"

Hello there, Meghann, and welcome to the weirdly wonderful world that is the 100+ forum!

I haven't even been posting here for a week yet and it is amazing the amount of great advice and AHA! moments I have already had. Nobody can advise and support you better in a process like this than a person who has gone through exactly the same thing. If you can, I would strongly recommend setting aside a little time each day to read the great threads on this site --- there is an amazing wealth of wisdom here.

I think your attitude is great! You sound both excited and practical and I can't think of a better combination. So where are you going to start? Ridding the pantry and fridge of unhealthy food choices? Recording all the food that you eat in a day? Checking out the great recipe threads on the site? Wherever you start, you have already made the most important step: committing to a healthy, happy you.

(By the way, I homeschooled my son for 6th and 7th grade and all I can say is: THREE KIDS? AND YOU HAVE TO TEACH THEM TO READ? I am in awe of your determination and bravery!)

SparrowSings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 259/253/140

Height: 5' 9"

Just the fact that you took this first step is a reason to be proud! We will do this together!
lisanovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #6  

Default Day 1 - on 1/11/11

I say, because this is 'Day 1' of my journey on 1/11/11, that TODAY is the start of my New Year. I think I am starting off really well:

Breakfast- Whole grain apple cinnamon muffin, an orange, and a cup of coffee with 1 Splenda.

My gym workout- 20 minutes on the elliptical, 7 miles on the bike, and 20 minutes of circuit weights.

Lunch- Low-sodium turkey on whole wheat bread with low-fat mayo, whole grain mustard and spinach leaves, 1/2 cup of (homemade) potato salad and a glass of low-sodium, 100% vegetable V8.

My afternoon snack will be a handful of almonds and a glass of light soy milk.

Dinner will be a homemade veggie calzone with low-fat mozzarella.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome, Meghann!

It sounds like you are ready for the to be THE time! It is so great that you are going to tackle this at your age instead of waiting until you are in your fifties like I did. Your hobbies of cooking and reading are really going to help you.
Quote:
When I think about my goal weight of 140-145 lbs, and I see my current weight, it's completely overwhelming! So here is how I have decided to break it down and make it look much more attainable: I have 160 lbs to lose, 20 lbs at a time - that's 8 small goals. I can totally do that!
You are exactly right, break it into small goals. I would even recommend that you break it into 5 or 10 pound goals and celebrate each and everyone of them!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/230/143

Height: 5'0

welcome to the group!
GabrielleEmersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #9  

Thank you, ladies!

I plan on posting my first "Before" pictures tomorrow, and, honestly, I am TERRIFIED! I avoid mirrors unless I am "grooming" after a shower. I haven't bought clothes in a really long time, so I haven't actually seen myself in a full-length mirror since...I can't even remember. I know I need to do this, and I know it will boost my motivation and determination even more, but I'm still terrified.

Am I overreacting?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Nope, I think a lot of us know exactly how you feel! to a big group of ladies who can probably all relate in some way!

I was drawn to your thread title because of the "so excited" part! Sure there is some fear involved in what we are trying to do, along with some frustrations and missteps. But it really is such an EXCITING road to self-discovery and better health! Have a BLAST coming up with healthful and delicious recipes that your whole family will enjoy, and bask in the knowledge that the best thing you can teach your kids (homeschooling Mommy ) is how to properly care for their bodies and love themselves enough to do that.

I'm so excited FOR you!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Meghan. WELCOME!!!

So glad you posted. You will find folks here at 3fc to be helpful, friendly and wise.

On my ticker below is what I feel about weight loss goals. I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times. Five pounds is so 'doable'.

You CAN do this. Remember... plan, plan and plan some more.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-12-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #12  

Default Day 2

Thank you, ladies, for the support and encouragement! I really appreciate it!

I had a horrible migraine yesterday afternoon that lasted into the evening and is still lingering a bit this morning, but I don't want to skip a workout. I'll get it in this afternoon, I promise!

Breakfast was a bowl of Total Raisin Bran w/ light soy milk, and I'll probably have a piece of toast w/ peanut butter when I'm done here. I am definitely having my coffee w/ 1 Splenda, too.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #13  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!!! Sounds like you are doing awesome so far. Definitely take those before pictures, it is SO motivating to see how far you've come when you take progress pictures. Can't wait to "see" you around!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #15  

Afternoon/Evening Update:

I used the spin bike at the gym (the bike with no back) and did 11 miles in half an hour. Called it quits with that, though, I was just too tired from my migraine. Boy did it work my legs and the back of my arms!!

Lunch was the same thing I had yesterday (Turkey sandwich & homemade potato salad), and dinner tonight was a homemade turkey pot pie. Lots of veggies, and I cut the fat/calories by using 1% milk instead of cream and only half the butter than what I usually use with this recipe. It was delicious!

Also, I tried to upload the pictures that I took today, but apparently I have to have 25 posts before I'm allowed to put up pictures. So when I hit my first goal of 20 lbs (which I'm sure will take at LEAST 25 posts) I will post the pictures from today along with my first progress.