Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #1  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

Unhappy Great exercises that work for you?

hi guys, wht type of exercises work or worked for you at your biggest weight? I am determined to shift the weight, have been cardio training for about a week but haven't seen or felt any results yet, i know i can't expect to be skinny but i thought maybe just something might be noticed lol not even anything on the scales! i have been eating okay, no sweets etc.. it's real disheartening.

Do you prefer the eliptical trainer to the stationary bike, do you do any RPM cyling classes? (i can't treadmill or run as i have hip problems) I've done 2 classes and seem to like them, i don't think i've been pushing myself as much as i could because i never seem to come out dripping with sweat like everyone else.

oops i think i posted this in the wrong forum. sorry.

Last edited by Catcuffling; 01-09-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

You aren't going to see results in a week.

Just find something you enjoy. Or a few somethings. I just walk, do yoga, hike, cross country ski, snow shoe, depending on the weather and what I feel like doing.

Measure success by how many days you stick to your plan.

Think consistency, and settle in for a life time journey.

You have 100 pounds to lose. That's going to take a while to come off. And it's going to take a while for your muscles to grow and start showing.

But it won't happen if you don't keep at it.

I have 40 pounds and I don't see a change in a week. But I know if I stick to my plan, both my eating plan and my exercise plan, my body is shifting and changing under this fat.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6

Have you ever tried the stairmaster? Oh my gosh. I did 45 minutes on the treadmill then did 15 minutes on that thing and I felt so much more worked out on the strairmaster in 15 minutes than 45 minutes on the treadmill!

I prefer the elliptical trainer over the stationary bike personally. I have lost weight other times doing just the elliptical and very little of the treadmill, although I do more of the treadmill now. Good luck!
PeaceNLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #4  
Ninja loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
You aren't going to see results in a week.

Just find something you enjoy. Or a few somethings. I just walk, do yoga, hike, cross country ski, snow shoe, depending on the weather and what I feel like doing.

Measure success by how many days you stick to your plan.

Think consistency, and settle in for a life time journey.

You have 100 pounds to lose. That's going to take a while to come off. And it's going to take a while for your muscles to grow and start showing.

But it won't happen if you don't keep at it.

I have 40 pounds and I don't see a change in a week. But I know if I stick to my plan, both my eating plan and my exercise plan, my body is shifting and changing under this fat.

heya.. yeh i know i wont see results in a week, i think i'm just so eager, and that is probably what lets me down, my own mind and the tricks i play on myself when it comes to weight loss..

it's such a struggle
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcuffling View Post
heya.. yeh i know i wont see results in a week, i think i'm just so eager, and that is probably what lets me down, my own mind and the tricks i play on myself when it comes to weight loss..

it's such a struggle
Just settle into it. Stop struggling. When you feel yourself getting all jiggy, just whisper "settle down." It helps.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I also prefer the elliptical over the treadmill over a stationary bike. I like to do intervals on any of them, going harder then less hard then harder again. It has made a big difference for me. Lifting weights with a personal trainer has helped me a lot too.

I have a subscription to People that I am only "allowed" to read on the elliptical. It makes it easier.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #7  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Last time I lost my weight, I was successful if I used my own body, no machines.
I did aerobic classes and walked. I was not as successful with eliptical etc. eventhough I pushed myself hard.

This time I am sticking to powerwalking and yoga. And we shall see how it goes.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

You might want to start tracking your blood pressure and heart rate if you want proof that the exercise is working. I can walk in to my doctors office anytime during business hours and have my BP and HR taken for free. Maybe you can too!!

Your exercise efforts won't show on the scale right away and muscles hidden beneath fat don't become defined enough to see them for even longer.

Not sure if this is available to you but water aerobics does not put much strain on any joints but still works your muscles by the resistance of the water.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My two favorites are a regular walking regime and a spin class. But losing weight has always been about the food for me. I'd be a wafer if it was about exercise -- I'm a freaking active girl but still fat.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was always a walker but not on treadmills. Also I love weight lifting. The incident that caused me to start losing weight also resulted in me not being able to really walk well for the first 3 months of my weight loss. I did weight lifting mostly and then incorporated exercise bike and then elliptical at the gym when I was able to do so relatively pain free.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Weight lifting and Zumba. I had been exercising for almost a year, started Zumba'ing and almost overnight my stomach flattened down a lot and I lost four inches off my waist without losing a lot of weight
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #12  
Ninja loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixC Chix View Post
You might want to start tracking your blood pressure and heart rate if you want proof that the exercise is working. I can walk in to my doctors office anytime during business hours and have my BP and HR taken for free. Maybe you can too!!

Your exercise efforts won't show on the scale right away and muscles hidden beneath fat don't become defined enough to see them for even longer.

Not sure if this is available to you but water aerobics does not put much strain on any joints but still works your muscles by the resistance of the water.
hi yeh i used to go to aqua aerobics but have since moved.. it loved it! i'm hoping they start it up at my local pools soon.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

If you have it available at your gym or wherever, I would also recommend giving seated ellipticals a try. I find the standing elliptical motion a little uncomfortable with my own joint issues (knees, not hips, but still) and the seated elliptical is much more like using a stationary bike in that regard. But unlike both regular standing ellipticals and stationary bike, with the seated elliptical at my gym I can actually tell that my arms / upper body are getting a workout, and I am really really currently in love with that machine. I can definitely tell after only about 3 weeks that it is helping to improve my upper body muscle tone by a lot! Eventually I'm going to try to transition over to using the regular standing elliptical, but for now I just adore the seated.
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I like to walk (and run when it's warmer out), do step aerobics and rock climb. I don't know how any of that works with your hip problems (obviously the running is out), but I've been able to do all of them to some degree at my highest weight. Rock climbing is fantastic strength training if your form is correct. I run and do aerobics because that's what I enjoy. I've tried other things (dance aerobics is NOT for me), but settled into a few I really like.

I think the key is finding something that you enjoy and going with it. You'll be able to up intensity/duration as time goes on. The key right now is just to start.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Strength training. PUSHUPS! You might not be able to do them yet but work toward it. Any lifting is great for sculpting. And consistent cardio is important too.

Basically cardio will shrink you, and strength training will reshape you. You need both to create the ideal you.

An easy and quick way to track progress is to feel how your leg muscles change. Even a couple weeks of regular walking (on hills, very brisk pace) should yield some results there. But even if you can't immediately see or feel changes, they are happening! Hang in there.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote