Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #1  

Question For those who weigh everyday

How many days in a row do you have to see the same number to count it as a weight loss and not just a flucuation on the scale?
A couple of days ago I had 190 on the scale, and for the past few days its been going between 190 and 191, but since it keeps bouncing back up I don't want to count 190 as my "new" weight yet.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I count each new low, and don't worry about any bounce backs.
My theory is this:

Any fluctuation upwards, provided I've stuck to Plan, is a fluid increase, which is not my fault, which is not fat, which is not 'real' weight.

A bounce downwards can't be a random fluid decrease, it has to be reall weightloss.

The only time I don't count each new low is if I'm ill and not eating, or if I'm ill and not drinking. If I'm on plan, each new low really happened, that's my weight.

When it comes to my 3fc ticker, I don't record my weight until I get to xxx.4 of the particular pound (3fc tickers don't record parts of a lb). So if I'm 159.9, 159.8, 159.7, 159.6, 159.5, I'm still 160. When I get to 159.4, I'm 159. I figure that once I get to less than half a pound, I'm into the new weight; plus, when I started I was 215.6, which showed up as 215 on the ticker. I claim that point 6 loss!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/273/150

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I count each new low, and don't worry about any bounce backs.
My theory is this:

Any fluctuation upwards, provided I've stuck to Plan, is a fluid increase, which is not my fault, which is not fat, which is not 'real' weight.

A bounce downwards can't be a random fluid decrease, it has to be reall weightloss.

The only time I don't count each new low is if I'm ill and not eating, or if I'm ill and not drinking. If I'm on plan, each new low really happened, that's my weight.
Thank you for explaining it like that! I have a hard time trying to figure out water weight. I ate off plan during the holidays (but not enough to cause a 6 pound increase!) but right after the holidays I started calorie restriction and exercising again. But, I also started TOM around the 1st. Today I weighed 280 which was the weight I was the day before Christmas. Since I'm well hydrated, I'll just assume that's my real weight.
Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #4  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

I totally agree. My lowest weight is what my weight actually is.
It does suck to see 143.8 one day and then not see 143 on the scale for another week because of random fluctuations but it does make me feel better knowing that I'm there
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Rosinante.

I weigh daily but I try to not get too wrapped up in the daily number. It's a way for me to learn about my body - how it fluctuates, maybe sometimes why it fluctuates. But the number bounces around sometimes for no discernable reasons at all and learning to accept that is an important part of this journey for me.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #6  

Rosinante,
Thank you for explaining that so well. I really needed it broken down for me, because I've been so confused as to what to count. I was supposed to not weight everyday, but I just can't stay away. I weight myself several times a day. I'm a scale addict. I was 190 this morning, so I'm going to count it!! Thank you!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/135/130

I guess I am different because I stick with the highest number I see and won't go with the lower number until its pretty consistent. For example if for a couple weeks I weigh in betweem 138 and 137 I will keep saying I weigh 138 until I start weighing at 137 and 136. I can't explain why I do this though. Lol. But I usually never have more than a pound difference in my morning weigh ins so its not that much fluctuation up and down.
Ashley829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I weigh everyday. I write the weight down every day, I track it in sparkpeople every few days (usually the new lows) and then track it in WW on Wed which is my weigh in day.

Today was 182.2. This is a new low so I tracked it in SP, but I won't have a new WW weight until Wed. Which will hopefully be right around there.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm like Rosi! I will often say "I've seen of low of X" or something like that. My ticker always reflects my low. I enjoy getting back to it anyway. Right now my low is 153.4 but today I'm 155.2. It's a total TOM blip, not real at all. But every month I lose down to a new low and then bounce up.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #10  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

I'm with Rosinate and eliana. Usually if I get the blipup, it doesn't stick around too long. I claim each and every pound as soon as I see it. I figure I've worked darn hard for it, so I might as well ! Daily weighing is an absolute essential for me, and I feel lost without it.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I weigh every day as a habit, but I only record the number on Mondays (which is my arbitrary weigh-in day).

This morning, Sunday, I was down to 130.8, which is a new low. I was cautiously excited. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow - whatever Monday is, that's what gets recorded and what my ticker says.

For me this works because I'm really more interested in seeing the trend over time, as opposed to any random highs or lows, which could have any number of causes.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #12  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

For me, new lows are losses. Bounces upward are fluctuations. Simple!

ETA: I am being intentionally flip. I sort of know how my body feels now and can tell when a new loss is going to "stick". So I tend to keep track of my "current low" but not feel too bad if I see a bounce back the next day or so. Instead, I think "I reached that low once, I know I can reach it again."

Last edited by carter; 01-09-2011 at 09:12 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #13  

I'm going to start owning my lows. Someone made a great point about working darn hard for it, so you're right, I should own it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #14  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Ok, my two cents

I weigh every day, of course I just bought a scale about 3 weeks ago and had read somewhere on 3FC that a woman found a pattern in her weight loss. So I'm seeing if I have one too. So far I tend to hang around the same weight for a few days, then drop 1-2 lbs for a day or two, then up 0.5-1.0 lb for a few days then drop 2-3 lbs.

I too am a scale addict and waited to buy one (because I knew I'd be an addict) so I had to be sure my head could handle the fluctuations and not freak out. I always weigh in the morning after I piddle, but sometimes I weigh after I workout, then after I take a shower and after I put on my clothes (I like to see how much they weigh) I also like to weigh at bedtime to see how much I lose overnight. OMG I AM A SCALE ADDICT. I tell myself it's purely scientific research . . . e.g. how much my clothes weigh, how much do I drop overnight . . . LOLOLOL, maybe there is a 12 step program for scale addicts . . .

I always count my weight on Sunday, (that's an arbitrary day I picked) it is what it is, even if it's up a lb.
Example: last sunday I weighed 181.6 (up a lb from the past few days) and today I was 178.0, actually for the 2nd day in a row) As long as the trend is downward then all is good!!

GOOD LUCK MY FELLOW SCALE ADDICT

Last edited by MadamButterfly; 01-09-2011 at 09:50 AM.
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I weigh every day, but I don't really pay attention to it. It's more because I do my body fit assessment on Wii Fit. Otherwise I would weigh in once a week or even every week and a half. It's taken a lot for me to weigh every day and not obsess, LOL. I tend to flip out about the gains.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote