Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #1  

Default commitment-got rid of clothes that are too big!

Hi,

I just filled up five (!) garbage bags full of clothing that I don't wear anymore to donate to Vietnam Vets. Now, not all of them are actually too big...some are just things I don't wear anymore. I've decided I don't want to wear baggy oversized shirts anymore. I'm sick of hiding in them.

I'm hoping that by getting rid of too big clothes, it will be an incentive to stay on program (which I didn't do today) I refuse to go buy pants above my current size EVER again.

What do you all do when you go down sizes? Do you get rid of them, or hold on to them just in case?

Just curious,
Sherry
Old 04-08-2003, 09:08 PM   #2  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

this is strange, but i was just thinking about this today. I've decided to get rid of a bunch of clothes now as well (i'll keep one pair of jeans as a reminder that, yes, i was that big!).

I've been being new clothes every couple of months. Losing weight is freakin expensive!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #3  

I'm still wearing (swimming in) mine because I refuse to buy new winter clothes right now that ARE going to be too big for next winter. Guess I'm gonna have to dig out the spring/summer stuff soon and go thru it or I'll end up running around naked when it finally decides to be warmer here! what a scare that would be for the mailman!

Elaine
Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Getting rid of your fat clothes is a huge commitment--congratulations!

I'm still wearing my baggy old jeans because I have only been able to afford one new pair. The idea of throwing the clothes away (well, donating actually) is a little scary, but I hope that when the time comes that I get all new clothes, I will be as brave as you, Sherry!
Old 04-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #5  

I have been thinking about this very same thing all week -- since I have been putting away and bringing back out wonter clothing as our ever-changing weather tries to make a decision about spring. I think I would like to get rid of them too -- but it is nervewracking! How did you make the decision to do it?

Peace,
Paula
Old 04-08-2003, 11:25 PM   #6  

Congratulations. I haven't been able to get rid of all of my fat clothes. I have gotten rid of some, but just can't afford to restock the closet again if I should happen to gain it all back!
Matt, you are right, weightloss if really friggin expensive.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 AM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I donate them as fast as I can get them out of the house! I lived for too many years with every size from 8 - 18! I mean, I was a size 8 FIFTEEN years ago! All the small clothes are out of style now!
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have sizes 20-26 in my house, I will be going through again this weekend during spring cleaning. Still in a solid 24. I tend to donate everything to charity, or have a rummage sale.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #9  

Jenelle,

I have to laugh, because I still have size 4's in my closet!! I know that I will never again get into a size 4!!!!

I've kept all my clothes so far, but as I get into one size, I buy just one pair of jeans in the next size down and that's my next goal. That way I always have something I'm aiming for and sometimes if the scale isn't moving, I can tell I'm still losing inches because I can get into the smaller clothes.

I took my oldest daughter shopping with me yesterday and she made me buy some new shirts. All of my shirts are still 26-28 and I was able to buy a couple of 18-20 shirts yesterday. Thank goodness for the flowing sleeves to cover my fat arms!! It felt good to get some smaller sizes though.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i am trying to wait until my old pants are falling off before i get the next pair, just because i don't want ot have to buy a new pair of jeans every couple weeks! i'm in a size 20 now but i think i'm kinda leaning towards the 18. but i wont buy until the 20's need a belt!

but when i went down, i got rid of the 22's. i am only keeping one pai of shorts -- they are the ones i am wearing in my "before" picture. i want to keep them to remind myself how far i've come. in fact, i just hit 30 pounds lost, and i think i'm going to take a picture in them to celebrate.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:40 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

HEE hEE! I'm so glad this thread was started. This weekend, I went out and bought clothes that are WAY too tight on me. It's sounds crazy but I was SWIMMING in my 28s, my 26s, and now my 24s are just getting comfy. So, I bought some 22s (just 2 pairs of pants). I can get them on and zipped and when I wear them with a summery tunic they look decent but they remind me of my 28s when I started... way too tight!

The Cute Boyfriend said, "Are these optimistic?"

No way! This is the future, baby!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #12  

I'm in the middle of this dilemma myself and I change my mind every day. I have some really nice things hardly worn (one jacket still with tags) that are now way too big. One day I say donate, the other I say, let's keep them till fall. But those are winter things. I have a lot of spring, summer that are too big now. I really hate to think of going back there. May keep things that are only one size up, get rid of bigger. I have/had in my closet things down as far as a 16 and I'm wearing some of the 18s now.

Actually at one time I had things down to a 12 but the metal rod pulled out from the wall from the weight of everything. When I was picking everything up so I could get the closet fixed, I FORCED myself to let go of a lot. Kept only a few 16s and more 18s that I really liked and that were classic enough to be wearable almost whenever. My son remarked that he never thought of me as a clothes horse and was surprised I had enough clothing to pull down the rod. What I didn't tell him that it was sizes 12-22 and only a small portion was wearable at any one time.

So I'll be looking for more posts and will probably sway back and forth with each one.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #13  

Ladies -

If you have really nice businesswear to unload, I suggest you call your local battered women's shelter. They can direct you to job training programs for battered women, and these places are always looking for people to donate good "interview clothes" for their clients. They especially need large sizes.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:31 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Height: 5'0"

Great idea Jennelle...
or you can also try to sell them at a consignment shop.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #15  

I had a horrible experience with a consignment shop. After my grandmother died, I called a consignment shop to see about taking them her formal wear. She was a size 22/24. The lady on the telephone all but came out and said fat people dress like slobs and she didn't want fat people clothes. I was so upset that I just hung up on her. It's a shame she never met my grandmother....Grandma would have told that uppity b***h right off! Now, we giggle about the fact that Grandma is probably haunting her just for fun.

Not saying all consignment shops are that way....just sharing an experience with one.
Closed Thread