Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

Default Help Wanted: Fashion Dept

Hello, everyone. I am in the process of trying to make over my wardrobe. I haven't bought many clothes in years because I keep telling myself that "when I lose the weight" I'll buy a whole new wardrobe.

But I'm realizing now that this is something that I should do for myself right now. I am worth it NOW, as I am, even before losing the weight.

My problem is that for the past several years, I have worn a solid colored t-shirt with jeans nearly every day. I got into this habit when I worked for a daycare that only allowed this style of clothing. Now, I can't get out of it. I want a more grown-up, classy look. But I don't know where to start. Every time I go shopping, I give up. I feel almost like its silly of me to try for a classy look when I'm so heavy.

That being said, I've seen plenty of plus-sized women that always look put together and nice, and I want to know how they do it. So....anyone have an advice for the fashion-challenged?
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

Have you looked at the Fatshionista livejournal community? People regularly post outfits (approximately size 16 and up)--they often include the store/brand of the clothes and sometimes the size, so you can get an idea where people are managing to find stuff you agree looks good.
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Nicer department stores have personal shoppers that offer free wardrobe help. Like at Nordstrom you can make an appointment to go try on what they have in your size. It's a nice way to get some ideas and you certainly don't have to buy anything. One of my old favorite outfits was put together by a woman working at Macy's.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #4  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5''

Good for you about deciding to do something good for yourself now! I have a little list that I like to work with that gives you some ideas of what they sell, etc.

Lane Bryant:
Great store with lots of trendy clothing that is posed on a plus-sized size 16 model. With that being said, they still sell great staple items too. The quality of most of their items is quite exceptional as well. In my opinion, their intimates (Cacique is the brand name) can't be beat by a long shot. Their bras last the longest and their undies are amazing! The only downside to this store is that it can be pricey, BUT! if you watch for sales and Google for coupons (they frequently have $25 off of $75), you can get really great deals and for the quality, it's worth it.

Fashion Bug: Owned by the same corporation as Lane Bryant, but has good clothes for great prices. They do a lot of really good specials in store, and actually embrace plus-sized customers by not putting their clothing in the corner/back of the store, but seamlessly right alongside their misses clothing line. In fact, there is very little, if anything, that isn't plus-size in that store. They also do a great job of putting outfits together in store, but be aware that they aren't as trendy as LB and the quality of the clothing is not as good (but for the prices, what do you expect?)

Old Navy:
ON only has a plus-size section online (*rant*which is ridiculous in my opinion-- you want my money, but you won't carry my product in stores because you're too ashamed of having a bigger woman in your store, yet you carry plus-sized mens in store...?). It is about the same quality as FB, but does seem to have a lot more selection. Their prices are about the same as FB, but have a tendency to be cheaper once you apply their coupons that you can find online. They also have various outfits set up online that you can view and order directly. They also offer free shipping with a $50 purchase and free returns by mail (once again, won't let you return in store...?).

OneStopPlus.com: Has a bunch of plus-sized stores to choose from (Romans, etc) and definitely caters to a variety of tastes. Their shipping is a little steep, and returns aren't free, but the quality is as good as LB. The pricing is in line with LB or a little bit less. They do show some outfits put together online, but seem to offer more in the catalogs that you can order from each individual store for free.

Hope this helps! I think plus-sized fashion is a mine field when it comes to sizing: You buy the right size ("I always wore a size __") and then WHAMO!!! suddenly you can't button those brand new jeans you just bought because their size isn't your size . Same thing with fashion: Show me what that outfit will look like on a plus-sized model if you're selling it to a plus-sized woman. We may have the same anatomical features as a misses size, but the style ends up rarely looking the same!

Last edited by tiffieturtle; 01-06-2011 at 01:01 PM.
tiffieturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 353/See Ticker/155

Height: 6'1"

Check out www.missussmartypants.com It is AWESOME! I have a membership and she sends you an email every week of great clothes and the store. Plus when you sign up you get a membership in your size!!!! Trust me this is a great resource.
DesiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #6  

Thanks, everyone. I've checked out all your suggestions. I don't have a Nordstrom or Macys even remotely close to me. To be honest, I'm not sure if they are even within a few states of me. lol But I did look at their websites. I was surprised that they even have a plus size department. I guess that's because I was shopping at a JC Penny a few weeks ago. I asked an employee where their plus-size section was located and I got the stinky eye. Apparently, this particular JC Penny "doesn't do plus-size." LOL I was upset at her reaction at the time, but oh well. I can get anything on the internet.

Last edited by Elvish Mistress; 01-06-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #7  

Thanks to everyone for posting such awesome resources! I've not heard of fatshionista on livejournal or the missussmartypants.com. I'm totally considering joining Smarty Pants.

Online ordering is always an option, but I haven't had much luck with that for clothing in plus sizes. Sure, most 24 clothes will fit, but will they look decent enough to wear? I think it's easier to buy online if you are male or if you are not plus-sized.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #8  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Oh, puh-leeze at that stank-eyed J.C. Penney's worker. Don't let him/her upset you; we're talking Penney's here, not Chanel. No one who works at a place whose buyers believe it's still 1991 has a right to give anyone else the sniff-and-sneer for asking about size ranges. Hmmph, now I'm all mad at JCP on your behalf!

I don't know if your area has Dillard's department stores, but they have a fairly nice range of plus sizes as well. I second all the votes for Macy's, too--not only are their clothes attractive, but everything I've bought there has held up beautifully.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/287/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if you have a store called Ross where you live but the one's where I live have a section called "Woman's World" and they have a decent selection of plus size clothing and if you look you can actually find some pretty cute things. Like other people mention Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug etc are also good. Nordsrum and Macy's are good too, so just go online. If you want to go online this place called Torrid has some really nice things (kind of pricy but they have a good clearance and a few times a month it goes half off)

Oh and I totally agree with you tiffyturtle. I hate how stores like Old Navy, American Eagle, Aero and now Forever 21 have plus sizes but only online.
JustWant2Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #10  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Height: 5'7"

My favorite store in the whole world for plus sized clothes is Torrid. It's not so much a "grown-up" store, but they do have a lot of really great fashion-forward pieces. Check out their Bonjour Spring line that's on the website right now: http://www.torrid.com
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #11  

Oooh, I do like Torrid. I had forgotten all about it. And I do have a Ross around here somewhere. I will have to go check out their selection. I had no idea that American Eagle had a plus size department, even online. Very nice. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 287/287/140

Height: 5'9"

Yeah they do but it doesn't go as big as most pluz size stores. They go up to 2x in shirts I think it's the same for aero and forever 21. I can only get shirts at these places not plants yet because aero, AE only goes up to an 18 and right now I'm 20-24 depending on the brand. Still they do at least carry larger stuff online.
JustWant2Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

dont be too mad at old navy, they did have the plus size clothes in stores for a while, they just didnt sell that well (might have something to do with the fact that at the time they called them Super Plus - trying to make them exciting, while inadvertantly making them sound larger) at any rate, old navy is a great company and thier customer service is unparalleled. also if you have a store, often times you can fit in thier xxl (i can at over 300lbs) at least in tops and dresses. and if the price changes within 14 days they will price adjust your receipt, as well as thier instore and online sales are amazing and if you friend them on FB or are on thier mailing list you get coupons all the time. i heart old navy. its almost all i wear
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 AM   #14  

Super Plus?! LOL that was just a really, really bad idea lol
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

With some careful shopping you can even pull together Wal-Mart clothing and come off looking polished. I bought two pairs of dress pants there when I finally got into a size 20 again, as well as a cute swing cardigan, and a couple blouses. Just what I needed for my teaching placement! What I tend to do is look at the advertisements for all sorts of stores, and then piece together what looks similar. Not always quite as classy or trendy looking, but usually pretty good... and not overly expensive, which is good since I don't plan to be wearing these clothes for much longer!
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote