Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Default Fight it or go with it?

What's been your strategy? If you are a carb lover, for example, did you pick a plan that incorporates the freedom to have those carbs or did you go to something like Atkins to try to knock the carbs thing on the head?

I think I've tried both extremes but now I am trying to go somewhere in the middle, flexible calorie-counting with targets for each major food group, but I am interested to see who has picked which direction and why, and particularly whether people have managed enduring successes with a plan that initially seemed as if it would be entirely opposite for them. I'd kinda love to do the whole low-carb thing, but then I look at all the foods I like and they turn out about 95% carb calories.

What did you pick, why, how's it going?

Last edited by RoseRodent; 01-06-2011 at 07:28 AM.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

I picked calorie counting so I could incorporate most of my favorite foods. It's got me here which is 2 pounds from a mini goal and almost 75 pounds gone.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I finally came to the realization that carbs and I do not get along, even though (or perhaps because) they were a major part of "eating healthy" for me for years. My blood sugar meter opened my eyes to how my body reacted to them.

So I definitely do not "go with it". I cannot be satisfied or have level blood sugar or avoid the sleepies or the grouchies when I eat "normal" levels of carbs.

That being said, my plan does allow for carbs... just in fairly small amounts, and only with other food. For instance, yesterday I had bread with my lunch, and we went out to dinner and I had two luscious bites of an apple/ice cream dessert. And I was still under 100 carb grams for the day, so I was "on plan" for carbs (over for calories, but that's what happens when your husband kidnaps you for a fancy dinner out that you didn't know about or plan for!).

I have a framework of calorie counting, in which I watch carbs. That gives me the flexibility I need, and the limits that keep me healthy and slooowly losing.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Taylor View Post
I picked calorie counting so I could incorporate most of my favorite foods. It's got me here which is 2 pounds from a mini goal and almost 75 pounds gone.
This, only I'm hovering at just about 60 pounds lost.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm in the middle.

I gave up pop and Chinese Buffets completely! I can't do those in moderation. Having done so, it's been over a year and I do not miss them even a little bit. And I was a major full sugar soda junky.

All other things I do ok with in moderation most of the time. Chocolate can be a problem. When it becomes a problem, I knuckle down and get through three days without it. Then when I introduce it again, it's not a problem. But over time, it always becomes a problem. I'd probably do well to ban it the way I did pop, but I just don't want to. I'm not really sure why because if I did I know it wouldn't bother me eventually.

Mostly I'm like Jesse. I picked calorie counting because I enjoy everything in moderation. But I also place a heavy emphasis on complex carbs most of the time. The only time I vary from that is at those life events that pop up like gatherings, festivals, etc.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-06-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #6  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

I am doing the Belly Fat Cure, which allows carbs (good ones) and restricts sugars. As a pasta freak, it's good to know that I can have some, but the sugar is what causes the brain to want MORE MORE MORE, so that element is taken out of the equation. The premise of the BFC is no more than 15 grams of sugar per day and 6 servings of carbs (with a serving equalling anything up to 20 grams). I've been eating this way since March 1, 2010 and have lost over 40 lbs BECAUSE of the lack of cravings and the allowance to eat some carbs.

If you're interested in a middle ground, this is it. At least for me! Good luck!!!!

Last edited by Txalupa; 01-06-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I love carbs... so I have eliminated them. I constantly OVEREAT them and like most of them smothered in butter and cheese. I am better off without rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and sugar.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #8  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I was a carb addict before I lost weight. When others craved candy, I craved a big bowl of white rice or homemade bread. I think for me, my vice was wholesome carbs, not sugary ones.
As a calorie counter, I still allow myself carbs but I have learned to manage my portion sizes. Since these foods tend to add up so quickly, there was no way I could fit a big bowl of rice or pasta into my plan. I try to stay away from white breads, and sugary foods but I allow myself a small serving of pasta, breads, potatoes etc. I don't think I could live without any carbs
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #9  
~Kim~

I calorie count, but I do keep an eye on my carbs. I feel like I have better losses when I eat less carbs. I pretty much only eat healthy carbs. 3 servings of fruit, 3 servings of vegetables. And then I usually have something that does have a bit more carbs, a yogurt or a whole wheat pita with some cream cheese. I try to keep my net carbs under 100g a day, and I usually end up right around 85. Sometimes I have something with dinner that is a bit more carbs (last night we had spaghetti squash, sometimes I use a bit of Healthy request cream of chicken soup) so on those days I just drop the carbs in other places to make up for it. I don't touch potatoes, white bread or pasta.

Last edited by TooManyDimples; 01-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I'm a self processed carb addict. As a former vegetarian, my meals were very carb heavy and centered around potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. as the main event. While I still allow myself to have all of the above on rare occasions, for the most part they are big no nos. I loved the flexibility of calorie counting and being able to have whatever I wanted in moderation, but it never worked for me. I just can't do moderation with some foods. So, I switched to South Beach, which has helped me eliminate the cravings I used to have and stick to a good calorie range (though I only do random counting checkups here and there to stay accountable) Before, counting calories was difficult, whereas now, I have to make a conscious effort to add an extra 200 calories or so to each day.

So, I guess you could say I fought it.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #11  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I agree with most of the posters here. I chose calorie counting because I love food and I did not want the sense of deprivation I would feel if I did lo-carb or Atkins or any of those other diets.

I want to keep the weight off this time and as such I chose a plan that I could stick to for life which would allow me to still enjoy my favorite foods in the right portions.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #12  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I tried doing a low carb ratio and it was misery for me. I shoot for about 50% of my calories from carbs (about 200 g a day) and that is a reasonable amount for me. It seems more sustainable. The thought of doing Atkins would just make me cry. I don't FEEL GOOD when I do lower carb diets...

But then there are those that don't FEEL GOOD when they do a higher carb diet.

Unfortunately, I think this is one of those things that is trial-and-error to see where you fall in the spectrum.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #13  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Carbs can be my downfall, BUT... I learned to appreciate enjoying them by switching to WHOLE GRAINS. I start my day with oatmeal, prepped with cinnamon and apples. Usually lunch includes 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich, on 100% whole grain bread and apple slices. Dinner varies a lot, but when I want pasta, 1 cup of whole grain spaghetti fits the bill very indulgently while letting me feel good about my choices. It's working!
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #14  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
I love carbs... so I have eliminated them. I constantly OVEREAT them and like most of them smothered in butter and cheese. I am better off without rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and sugar.
I am the same way. I could eat a loaf of bread with butter all day long. I try to avoid them as much as possible.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I didn't pick a diet plan like Atkins or whatever, because I know those plans are essentially calorie counting with some added knowledge on food. I figured I could get that added knowledge on nutrition and figure something out.

So, I picked calorie counting.

I thought I would be able to eat whatever I wanted (as many carbs as I wanted) and still be healthy. Because of my PCOS, I realized that I couldn't be a carb lover, in fact, the carb loving part of me was a sign that my PCOS was getting worse and I was developing insulin resistance. When I was first diagnosed, I didn't treat my PCOS and I just ate whatever I wanted and the result is that surprise! your PCOS doesn't go away!

So, while I am still calorie counting, knowing the effects of nutrition and carbohydrates on my body, I am also mindful of my macronutrients (carbs, protein, fats). As I've finally wrapped my mind around what I need to do to manage my PCOS, I eat accordingly.

Eating too many carbs makes me sick, so I eat healthy amounts of protein (animal or vegetable) and fats to balance those carbs out.

I know it works for me, because I can lose weight on this diet, I feel full of energy, and my blood work shows good improvements.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote