Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #1  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default who does ir doesnt like the attention you get from losing weight?

I know I'm gonna sound like an attention hog lol but I love the attention Im getting from family. friends, people at my children's school it makes me feel really good about myself and it lets me know my weight loss is noticable. Honestly when I started losing weight I thought the attention would bother me but it doesnt it actually lights a fire under me to keep going and going. So do you guys like the attention or not?
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #2  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Most people didn't notice I'd lost weight till I'd lost about 70 pounds. Since then I've gotten many favorable comments and congratulations form my friends and co-workers. It's nice to have the hard work recognized but I'm not one of the people who likes to spend too much time in the spotlight so I usually change the subject after a bit of chatting about it.

The attention I've never handled well in the past when I was thinner (I was never thin, mind you, but I used to be not sooo overweight) was attention from guys. I'm figuring now that I'm over 50 I won't have to deal with that quite so much.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I love the attention the first maybe two times...then it gets old. I loved all the attention up until I got inundated with it when I returned to school in September. Having left school for the summer, when I returned everyone seriously thought I'd lost all 70 pounds over the summer!! It was insane. It was fun at times, but there were a few weeks where I could not walk down the hall without being bombarded with questions and comments.

Now, I love it when people say something who have never said anything before. But the people I see daily or weekly? I'm ready for them to just start seeing me as normal now. I actually get tired of hearing "Skinny" and other comments about weight loss. It's time to put it to rest. Just last week I was squatting while writing something on a poster on a wall and someone behind me made the comment, "We'll just tell everyone 'skinny' wrote it." I rolled my eyes, stood up, smiled and said, "Thank you". That gets old.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

I haven't had a single person comment on how I look. I know I look different, I can compare the photos! I wouldn't mind just a wee bit of attention.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
I haven't had a single person comment on how I look. I know I look different, I can compare the photos! I wouldn't mind just a wee bit of attention.
It'll happen! Despite my above post, I felt like this too! Strongly! I couldn't wait for my first comments. And I thrilled each and every time I got them too. And even funnier, my friends gathered last weekend to see some friends from across the country whom I have not seen in a very long time. I was really disappointed that they didn't say anything! I was hurt actually! So I do still love those comments, just not ALL the time anymore. And it turns out my friends did compliment me, they just did it behind my back.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #6  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Don't worry peanutt, people will start noticing and commenting. I think sometimes our friends have gotten so used to us as "big" they don't really *see* us any more. And the changes are so gradual that they just don't notice. But they WILL start noticing. For me it was around 70 pounds down that the comments really started coming.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/230/143

Height: 5'0

I like the attention - it's nice to have *positive* attention regarding my weight, rather than the usual 'looks' which pretty much say "wow look at that fatso.."
GabrielleEmersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I enjoy it- this morning a coworker told me it looks like I am still losing and I beamed and said yes thanks for noticing
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

I don't care too much for it. In fact when I start getting attention is usually when I starting gaining it all back.
Plus then they want to know how you did it and then you get all the customary.....oh I could never do that...oh I have a family I would never have time to do that....and so on and so on.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

I like it, but sometimes it's annoying (like when people go on and on), and sometimes it's downright weird. I belong to a large congregation, so every Sunday I get comments from different people who didn't see me other weeks. Last Sunday, I was in the parking lot getting my kids out of the car, and a guy old enough to be my father was driving by and said "Wow Liz, you're looking great, we should wrestle, I think I could take you now!" I thought that was weird!! But anyhow, I like it most of the time, just sometimes it gets to be too much!

peanutt - Don't worry, you'll get it soon! I didn't start getting the onslaught of comments until 50-60 pounds had gone.

Last edited by sept15lija; 01-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I loved it, but mine came in pretty big doses as I work from home and only see my co-workers and family twice a year. So I pretty much got pretty intense attention 2 different weeks, and then came back to my real life. My local friends saw the entire slow process so wasn't as big a deal for them.

The disconcerting one has been my beau. We met when I was already 100 lbs down so to him I've always been a pretty average sized woman. He knows about the weight loss and has even seen a few pictures of what I looked like 100 lbs ago. But to him, how I look now is just how I'm supposed to look.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #12  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

For me it depends on the type of attention and who it comes from. My husband says things and while it does make me proud it also scares me because I know that he likes bigger girls. When I get attention from men other than my husband it annoys me if they know I'm married but they go a bit too far, if they don't know or don't go too far then it's flattering. When it is my family it is really strange because while I feel proud there is another member of my family who really needs to lose weight and is not doing well at all and so I end up also feeling guilty. There are ladies who work in one of my favorite clothing shops who always comment. I like that one, but I question their motives because they work on commission. Then I question myself for thinking that. I feel best about the comments from my friends because it is the place where I can feel pride without it mixing with anything else.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
For me it depends on the type of attention and who it comes from. My husband says things and while it does make me proud it also scares me because I know that he likes bigger girls. When I get attention from men other than my husband it annoys me if they know I'm married but they go a bit too far, if they don't know or don't go too far then it's flattering. When it is my family it is really strange because while I feel proud there is another member of my family who really needs to lose weight and is not doing well at all and so I end up also feeling guilty. There are ladies who work in one of my favorite clothing shops who always comment. I like that one, but I question their motives because they work on commission. Then I question myself for thinking that. I feel best about the comments from my friends because it is the place where I can feel pride without it mixing with anything else.
...Just a note, I work on commission too, today someone told me, "You only like these on me because they're more expensive." NOT TRUE! I don't know that it's true for everyone, but I always tell people the truth and if something that's 80$ looks better on them than something that is 200$ I will tell them that and that is why we have repeat customers and people who come and tell my manager that I make them feel 'fabulous'.

I straight up laughed at the guy and told him, "trust me, I tell people if they look a mess."

As for me, I got my first two comments at work the other day. I don't think it's very noticeable yet, I think in 30 more lbs it will be. Today I went clothes shopping and gave up real quick. Realizing that yes I've done great so far but I have a really long way to go.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

I like the attention. I like it when I give people the feeling that, "I hate to see her go, but I like to watch her leave!"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #15  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I really don't like it.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote