Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #2

Good morning gals! I am finally back to normal, well as normal as this nutty ole gal gets, so am feeling much, much, better. I put a chicken into the crockpot last night so will debone it later for chicken and noodles tomorrow. I am going to get up from here and start cleaning the downstairs, which is at crisis stage!

I see I have a bunch of stuff on my side table that needs to go upstairs so it will be clutter free. I had meds for my intestines, lotion, a box of bandaids Jack brought down and fixed my heel with a few days ago and all of them can go back into the closet upstairs. My computer desk is a mess again and needs me to go through my little box with drawers I keep stuff in. I put receipts for stuff like clothes and stuff I might exchange in there but then forget to clear the stuff out when they are never taken back, exchanged or whatnot. I also have a stack of filing to do of papers. That's on top of cleaning the dowstairs!

Maggie: Fortune is a hoot even in his old age. He plays with his treats. We give him a treat when he goes outside and does his business and sometimes he has a high old time flip it into the air and going and getting it or rolling it around. It is hilarious to watch. The puppies are always so much fun to watch. What colors did you say Beanie is? Everytime I see his name it reminds me of that old cartoon when we were kids, Beanie and Cecil, do you remember it? Beanie was a boy who wore a beanie with a spinner and Cecil was a sea dragon. I loved that cartoon and there really wasn't much to it.

Jean: What irks me about the online thing is they could just as easily do checks online like other city offices do and that would be fine with me. We will just go out to Millington sometime next week and get the tags. They have reopened the one at the mall here, but we won't even venture into that mall anymore. I told Jack we don't have guns to take with us so there is no going in there!! Boy, I hope the secretary's brother isn't the executor or that land is gone. I don't know why siblings can be so ornery. I feel for the poor woman. Jack has a list of stuff to talk to his doctor about so he can get all the things done that need to be done. Thank goodness he has had no more heart issues.

Susan: Well it depends on the book I guess. I finished one last night, which was free and the print was pretty small, but I am reading the latest Sue Grafton book and it is ok. Since I have contacts with bifocals, I don't have any trouble at all. I like it because I can turn the lights off and read in the dark and not disturb anyone and page turnin amounts to flicking my finger over the screen! I was the naysayer on getting these phones for over a year, but I have to say, I really do like them. Hope your snow forecast passed you right by.

Well gals, it is after 8 and I need to get started on all the work I want to get done today. Have a great weekend! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 46 today which is warmer then it has been. Not exactly a heat wave I might say. But it sure feels better then that way down there temps. I am still OP and all is well. I need to find a recipe to use the some of that tenderloain I have or freeze it all. I have several but just need to decide. Need to buy some more fresh fruit for I only have a bit of that pineapple left now. Got cans but really rather have fresh when I can get it. Maybe when Will gets back from his run to the PO he will swing by the store. I got some neat sounding wok recipes and realized I no longer have a wok. So I ordered myself one of the 14" carbon steel flat bottomed ones. Why, you ask that very size and such...Well Grace Young the wok whisperer and author of Stir-Frying to the Sky;s Edg recommends it. Since I need to buy one I might as well follow her recomendation since she is the expert. That, my friends came right out of the latest WW magazine. Check it out check it outers. I am getting one with two loop handles instead of the ones with the one long handle. Ordered it from Williams-Sonomia which has some neat "stuff" for not out of the ball park prices. (I found some very very spendy ones elsewhere.) I like pots and pans with loop handles for some reason. Maybe it stems from living in that motorhome and space was valuable even on the cook stove. Will is home now and doing a search for the best price he can get on that book for me. One sight says $35 + shipping and another says $20 with no shipping. I like the no shipping one. Well I will be getting it soon I hope. It will probably have a black line on the bottom but it is one that is NEW, has not been used at all. I can dig it. I have other books with a black mark on the bottom and that surely doesn't interfere with the book. Its like that black line is worth $15. I can dig it.

DONNA FAYE You just can't know how happy I am that you are back to exact. Beanie is colored like a pinto bean ~ pretty light brown spots on white. He has a spot on each side of his body and his head is white with brown and black markings. Also a bit of black on his tail and edging his ears. His tail is black, brown with a white tip. Ragg Mopp has a plume for a tail and Beanie looks like he will have a tail for a tail. You gave me a chuckle about Beanies name for that is where it came from. Remember the song R-a-g-g M-o-p-p doodle-de-da-da~ anyway now we have Beanie but I doubt if we will be getting other dogs named Captian Huff & Puff or Cecil the sea sick sea serpant or Dishonest John. Maybe cats - what do ya think. Read away on your phone. I am too old for that and you are still a youngster. Will reads books on his when we are sitting waiting for something ~ like at the SS office. I go a big part of my day without even turning my phone on.

JEAN & SUSAN Having a good day are you? Life is good.

Type at y'all later. Off to find a good recipe for tonights meal.

Back again ~ I decided on Teriyaki Pork & Pineapple served over my rice mix. The pork is cut and placed in a marinade then grilled with purple onion and pineapple on skewers. However, I will do it inside on my grill. That plus the rice comes to 10 points which will make a lovely dinner.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all! It is here this morning. We are expecting 2-3 inches of snow tomorrow and Monday. Ugh! The people here cannot drive on snow. We will be getting ice melt stuff to put on the deck and out to the corner so we can walk around to get into the car.

We will have to do the laundromat tomorrow as T's arrow of light is Monday night. I got the new sheets and towels and they all need to be washed besides our clothing and towels so back to the laundromat we go. It really isn't so bad. The only bad part is poor Jack carrying the wet laundry from the house into the car as they have carts at the laundromat. They have a big screen tv and cushy leather chairs and sofas so it is comfortable there. I sit and knit or play games or read from my Iphone.

Jack is still snoozing, but he went to bed early for a Friday night so I imagine he will be up soon. We are planning on going to see the Harry Potter movie again today as the cheapo theater. It is out of the main theaters now and going to the cheap ones. Movies like this you miss so much the first time around so I am anxious to see it again without it breaking the bank.

Maggie: I would go with all but Dishonest John! Poor cat shouldn't have to put up with that name! I have a wok with a handle like a skillet and I really like that. I know most woks have the two handles on each side, but I like the one handle. I have lots of stuff for Chinese cooking, hoisin sauce, 5 spice mix, soy sauce, etc. I don't have sesame oil and should get some of it. One of our favorite things at PF Changs is their garlic noodles and I would imagine they wouldn't be hard to make. I had a friend that was married to a Philipino back when Jack was in the Navy and taught me how to cook Pancit. I haven't had it in years but I love rice noodles. I don't know if Jack would like them though.

I think I will check and see if Jack is still snoozing then sit and watch Law and Order reruns for a bit. Have a wonderful Saturday. I hear creaking on the ceiling, which means hubby is up! Faye
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cold morning but the sun is shining! I intended to get here yesterday, then got sidetracked and never made it. I helped the lady do the coffee server schedule at church, came home for a quick lunch, and we left for Sioux City. The wind was very strong and a challenge for driving. The shoe store where I have the best luck had no shoes that interested me. I needed a navy "flats" to wear with my office, gift shop, eating out navy slacks. The clerk told me they didn't carry much in navy because it wasn't popular. So we trucked to a department store in the mall and they had all kinds of navy shoes! I did find a pair as well as a black pair of casual shoes. I don't buy shoes often so need to get rid of some I no longer wear. We enjoyed the supper with the other couples and went to a couple's home afterwards to visit. The guys drove out to the farm to view the tractor collection; Bob was impressed even though most weren't the same kind as his. It was after midnight when we got home.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread. I'm so glad you are feeling good again. I need to clean off my computer desk too. I'm famous for jotting down notes to myself and never throw them away when I no longer need them. The secretary's brother is the executor and according to neighboring farmers (clients of Bob's) he is in a state of depression and just sits in front of the tv. He has hogs but doesn't even take care of them anymore. Sad situation. The best thing about a laundromat is getting it all done at one time.

Maggie -- You make me smile with all of your kitchen gadgets. I wouldn't know one wok from another let alone what to do with one. A cook I will never be! I do enjoy reading about everyone else's menus and food ideas though. I didn't know books came with a black line on the bottom, but then I don't order many books either. Pork and pineapple . . . !

Susan -- What are you doing today? I hope staying warm w/o any snowfall.

I have got to get started on laundry and picking up the fallout around here! Have a great Saturday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Cold Cloudy Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Burrr it is a cold, cloudy windy day with a temp of 27 that feels like 15. Supposed to get snow tomorrow evening. After all it is still winter isn't it. I slept in and it sure felt good but I didn't really get more sleep than usual because I went to bed later than usual. But the animals let me sleep. Usually my alarm clock is Beanie barking at me. Little scudder sleeps in his bed under a chair next to our bed and knows our every move. Ragg Mopp is the king and sleeps on the bed at the foot. I really don't want them both on the bed. Ragg Mopp sleeps there because when he was a baby we put him on the bed. As far as I know Beanie has never been up there. I am laying out patterns deciding what to build next for my village. I have a list of what I want in the village and will make what buildings I can first by what color of glass I have on hand. I have a lot of red, orange, yellow and clear. Some pale blue and green, pink and black. I really need some shades of brown and darker blue and white. I use a lot of the browns for roofs. I guess I could start with building a barn since I have several sheets of red. But I don't want to build a barn untill I get the ranch house built. Oh well, am I boring y'all with all this glass talk. I was just looking over at my glass rack and wondering what to build. I need to build myself some buildings before the Christmas season comes along and I want to get some gifts made or to fill some orders.

DONNA FAYE I could name a cat Dishonest John and call him DJ. I loved that old program when I was a kid. Not much on TV back when I was a kid and we mostly played outside. My father built us a "play house" in the back which had electricity in it along with a table and chairs and I spent time back there with friends. He even plumbed it so we had a little sink in there. We had the "best on the block" of play houses. We even slept out there in sleeping bags sometimes during the summer. Life was easy back then. I remember when Dr. Anderson, father of one of my girlfriends, came to inspect the play house to see if it was good enough for his daughter to sleep in. He was a character. We served him tea in china cups and soda crackers with jam. He let his daughter stay overnight. They just lived two houses down the block. We had the corner lot. We have a few of the HP movies in our list at the rental place and will eventually see them all. They are certanly well made and quite intertaining. I like oriental cooking and it can be lightened so easily when using a wok. All those nice crisp veggies. Yum. I am so looking forward to getting mine. It has been shipped. I think it will live sitting on the stove. Just keep it there ready to use will be my guess. Or hang it on the wall ~ I miss my pan rack.

JEAN Navy shoes. I am glad you found a pair you liked. What style are they? To each his own is the old saying. Everyone is different and don't necessarily like the same things. Like cooking. I just happen to like it and being (what I have been called through the years) "a gourmet" is fun for me. My brother first called me that years ago. He would introduce me to his friends as "my sister the gourmet." I would certainly rather be called that then some other names. Lots of folks don't cook at home and eat out all the time. More and more people don't cook. There are some fabulous restaurants out there for sure.

SUSAN Staying warm are you?

Time to get going and get some necessary things done this day. Type at y'all later.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #6  

Good morning gals! Well we are all set for the snow to begin later today. I am doing one last run to the laundromat this morning having done up all the laundry, we bought the ice melt stuff, we kept our snow shovel from Indiana so we can shovel a path out to the car if need be and I got some extra groceries at the store last night so we don't have to fool with the crowds that will surely make a run at the stores again today. Last night the bread aisle as Super Target was nearly empty as it was.

I peeked in on my Facebook page and Alicia had posted this picture of Jay and Jackson shoveling yesterday. They got 25 inches of snow in one day!!!

We enjoyed seeing the HP movie again. It gave us more things to remember about the movie. There were only a handful of people in the theater, in fact until it was 10 minutes before showtime we were the only people in the theater. I don't like going to this theater as it is our part of town and the showing would let us out after dark, but we wanted to see the film again and it was cheaper here.

I have lots of things to get done today. As I said, I am doing up laundry and my towels and sheets came, all but one set so I wanted to get them washed and dried and then put away. They are really nice quality and I got a set for only $40 on sale.

Well, Jack is up and so I need to get us some breakfast. Have a grand Sunday all and keep warm!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 167332_2710614203646_1205598889_101210200_5189488_n.jpg (30.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by gma22; 01-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies! Only 25 degrees this morning.

We had snow flurries Friday and yesterday, but are supposed to have accumulation Tuesday and then more snow on Saturday. The Ice Age Cometh!

My class went well yesterday and everyone had fun while working on their quilt. After the class, I had dinner with 2 couples I know at Ruby Tuesday. I had the Grilled Salmon, Broccoli, and White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes - 504 calories. I counted it as 12 points. The nutritional information on the website doesn't list protein and only gives net carbs so doesn't work in the tracker. It sure was good.

I'm cleaning house today and getting my quilt cut that I will take to retreat. Then I have to get that stuff together.

I have my annual Pulmonary Function Test tomorrow at 9 and then the appointment with my pulmonary doctor at 10:00. After that, I'll go on to my applique bee and then Bible study tomorrow night.

Dryer is buzzing so I need to get going!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Snowey Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is SNOWING big time as I type. Don't know what amount they say we get in this storm but it really doesn't matter because what ever it is we will get what comes. We went out to eat after services this morning and I had grilled pork chops and brought one home for I only ever just eat one. It had dimond shape likns on it and looked so pretty in presentation. With it came a cut up apple and a baked potato which I asked for the "fixins" on the side. Fit well into my program, yes it did. For dinner I am having chicken noodle soup ~ home made. There is only one serving of that in the freezer so Will opted for the serving of stew that was in there. Nothing like eating out of the freezer. If it was good once it will be good as a re-run. Especially the home made dishes that we like that I purposely make enough to freeze. I have a "Western Romance" candle burning on my desk and it really smells like a real rich vanilla. OH so good and I am sipping on a sf ff latte and thinking I have good sense. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE I don't think we will be getting the amount of snow in that picture you shared. Nope, but they say it snowed like that in the olden days. But it may for we are in a 100 year weather cycle. So it may be coming back around. Such a deal you got on your new towels. I think we probably need to invest in some new ones during the "white sale."

SUSAN Glad your class went well and your dinner at Ruby's sounds yummy. Hope tomorrow you pass your tests with flying colours.

Back to watching the snow fall. Type at y'all later.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is snowing in my corner of the world -- started out as huge lazy flakes falling so gently but now it has gotten serious and is beginning to pile up. We are in the "watch" until noon tomorrow. As long as the wind doesn't kick in I don't care. I went to first service and then the bells played the very first thing at the second service while people were still wandering in. That service drives me -- people come and go, kids are on the floor crawling under pews, the band junk is all over the front corner, etc., etc., etc.

Maggie -- It's nice that you have an idea for what you want to create with your glass. Starting on Christmas gifts now is smart! My navy shoes are Naturalizer and I would just describe them as a "flat" w/o the ugly clunky heel that so many of the shoes have now. I really need to find a brown pair because the ones I have squeak . . . and they are paid for!

"Gma" -- Our grocery store was busy this morning too. People act like they're never going to eat again. When Bob is with me I always end up with too many things that were not on my list! Our one store, that is closed on Sundays, often will have single slices of pie. He kept saying he was hungry for pie, but the bakery didn't have a single pie anywhere to be seen. I was glad because I don't need a piece of pie! Thanks for sharing the snow picture. Did they have a lot of snow last winter? We are behind last years to date total which is fine with me!

Susan -- I hope you don't get the snow. You had a busy day yesterday. I know that 50 calories was usually 1 point on the old program. Do you think a point has a higher calorie count now? I hope your test is goes ok tomorrow ; applique bee and Bible study will be two things to look forward to.

My kitchen counter is waiting to be cleared off and dishes put away. I have a load of laundry that should be done and put in the dryer. I'm thinking a nap is in order -- it's that kind of day here. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-09-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is still snowing in my corner of the world! Bob cleared off the driveways, the patio, and our deck early this morning. The squirrels and birds were patiently waiting for breakfast. He thought we probably had around 6" with another 4" coming today. The church office follows the school schedule which had a 2 hour late start. I should check and see if they cancelled yet, as everyone around us has. I have plenty to do here if I don't have to go to church this morning.

I guess I will put in another load of laundry and do some ironing. Hope you all have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Snowey Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 14 degrees as I type with a NW wind blowing at 22 MPH and SNOWING. The weather folks said it will snow all day. It is a light snow but it is snow. Will had to go out in it for his doctor appointment. He is supposed to find out exactly what they plan on doing to his knee this day. I will be very surprised if he comes home on crutches today. What ever invasive thing they plan on doing is an in office thingie. I got on my scale and it didn't budge. I had left the metal chuncks where they were showing my last weigh and they didn't need to be moved. I have one of those tall doctor scales with the bars and the weights you move. Experts say those are still one of the very best type scales. Anyway I really do like to move that chunk over and not today. I stayed OP all week and didn't go over my points at all ~ had some "extras" left over. OH well I will see what I weigh tonight at the meeting. The puppy is a chewer. He is chewing on the board that is on the floor between the wooden area of my office out to the carpet in the hall. That board has a name but for the moment it has escaped me. Ragg Mopp barked twice and I don't know what he heard now the neighborhood dogs are going at it. They have such good ears. They all stopped so what ever it was passed. I have excellent hearing but not that good. I need to make a list of ingredients to replace the chicken noodles soup and stew that we finished up from the freezer last night so it can be brought from the market. Today would be a good day to cook soup. I dreamed the strangest cartoon last night. It was a mystery acted out with cartoon characters. Intresting. The bad guy had the most beautiful blue eyes too. But they put him in the slam in the end. I never dreamed a cartoon mystery before that I can think of. It was fun. Some folks are out and about here for I can hear their wheels crunching on the snow as they drive slowly by on the street in front of our house.

JEAN We are getting snow but I don't think we will get nearly as much as you are getting. Everything sure looks pretty with all that snow and frost on it. I imagine you won't be going out to work this day but staying inside finding things to do around the house. It's a winter day and stay warm. I am not looking forward to getting out in it to go to WW tonight. But I must.

DONNA FAYE & SUSAN Hope you are both safe today and doing what you want and all is well with you.

Type at y'all later.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #12  

Good morning gals! Well we ended up with about 4-6 inches of snow, which is a lot for us. All the schools and such are closed. Since Jack has to leave in the dark and the area the plant is in doesn't get plowed right away, he took vacation time off for today and tomorrow. They canceled T's arrow of light and will reschedule it to the end of the month so we don't have that tonight so will be staying put in the house. Jack did go out and shovel the deck and down the walk to the edge of the garage and put down the melting stuff, but that's all.

Jay and Alicia ended up getting 36 inches of snow! Jackson has been having fun with it I guess. They built and snowwoman and an igloo.

Susan: I wish all the restaurants would start putting nutritionals on their menus, it would help everyone a lot I think. Hope your medical tests and doctor appts go well! Be prepared as our snow and possible Jay's is coming our way.

Jean: Indiana did a have bad winter snow wise last year. They had a long winter and a lot of snow. Don't you hate it when parents let the kids misbehave in church like that? The church in Indiana used to drive me nuts because one family basically sent their kids into the sanctuary and it was sort of a "have at it" mentality. Poor Bob! I am a pie lover so I usually don't buy pie as I would eat it all the time even for breakfast. I love cherry pie.

Maggie: We are having chicken and noodles for dinner tonight. I buy the tiny thin little noodles, which I really love. I really like the homemade ones, but I don't have much room to put them to dry out. Fortune is a hoot about barking. He won't make a peep when people are whomping on the walls or making noise, but he will hear something none of the rest of us do and then bark. He cracked me up yesterday as the birds were sitting on the chimney singing away and the sound was coming down through the fireplace. He was laying at my feet and stood up and shifted his head back and forth not knowing what to make of it, but he never barked at them.

Well gals, I am going to go. Have a nice Monday. Faye
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #13  

Good evening, ladies! It's cold here - in the 20s. We're under a severe weather alert for snow, sleet and ice until late tomorrow. Maybe I won't be going to work tomorrow. Somehow, that doesn't make me sad!

I had my Pulmonary Function Tests this morning. I always forget how much they take out of me and the raging headache I have when it is over. I had a nebulizer treatment when it was all over - first time for that. Then I went to the doctor's office and she had the test results already. She is a sweet young (in her 30's) Indian lady who really knows her stuff. She came in and put her arm around me and said "Susan I am so sorry your test results are so bad. You have severe COPD you know." I said I did because its been that way for the last 2 years and asked her for the results. Actually, they hadn't changed at all from last year so I am now considered to have stable COPD - 37% lung function. Basically she told me to continue doing exactly what I have been, and mentioned she has seen me working out at the Y because she goes there, too. I see her next January 9th...unless I get sick. The sad thing was the respiratory therapist weighed and measured me and it looks like I'm only 5' 3" now. I have my appointment for osteoporosis next month so maybe their measurement will be more. Every inch I lose translates to a 5 pound lower goal for WW. At this rate, I'll never get there.

Maggie, how did Will's doctor appointment go? I'm have some chicken noodle soup out of the freezer for supper tonight. It's a good thing on a cold night.

Jean, a point is about 40 calories now. Have you ever tried the small Sara Lee frozen pies you bake? They are really good but only about 2-3 slices.

Faye, I used to make noodles all the time. Since Stan died, I just buy them. We have an Amish store in Williamsburg where I can get the next best thing to the ones I make myself. I'm glad Jack decided to stay home. With his knees, he doesn't need to fall. Can you imagine how it would be here in the South with Jay's snow! I haven't heard much about global warming lately but a lot about natural climatic change. If the Ice Age is coming, I need to move closer to the Equator!

Enjoy your evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #14  

Maggie -- It is still snowing here. The 6:00 weatherman said that Sioux City had 13.5 inches, but nothing about us. We are pretty close to 9 - 10" I'll bet. The wind is supposed to blow it around tonight and all the schools have already called 2 hour late starts. The town is in a 'snow emergency' until Wed. morning. How did Will's doctor appt. go? I hope the WW scale was kind to you tonight.

"Gma" -- I'm glad Jack decided to stay home today. Bob has a meeting an hour away tomorrow at 8 am; the presenters are from Des Moines and drove up early this morning so it's a go if anyone can make it. If the roads are too bad he is going to reschedule somewhere else later. Warm cherry pie with ice cream . . . hmm, hmm, good!

Susan -- If you just get snow that won't be as bad as having the ice. I've watched the weather channel where the cars just slide into each other slick as can be -- almost in slow motion. Your pulmonary doctor sounds nice as well as caring. I'm glad your numbers haven't changed even though they are bad. My height varies between the doctor's office and the hospital even though I don't wear shoes. I will have to look for the Sara Lee pies. We have a Sara Lee turkey processing plant here and I have a hard time thinking they make any other food items.

I'm heading to bed -- see you all tomorrow.

Last edited by Jean; 01-10-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! It is cold here this morning, but the snow started melting yesterday and I imagine by Wednesday it will be just a memory, thank goodness!

Today is the dreaded commissary day. Jack decided to take today off too, so we are going to do the shopping during the week. We shall see what it is like as far as stocked shelves and busyness. He has to go into the shoe store and order his new works shoes too. He got his voucher from work and needs to get them before the end of the month. He has to get special ones that have steel toes and safe to be around eletrical, etc so choices are limited of course, especially since Jack hates boots or anything coming up above his ankle. He can get them, but they are hard to come by. He did find 3-4 pair, one of which are New Balance, so hoping he can get those. We try to stay under the voucher amount, which is $82, but sometimes that isn't possible and we end up having to pay out of pocket the remaining amount.

Susan: When you were at full height, how tall were you? I am sorry your COPD has not improved any and your lung function is so poor. The winter weather and cold must be just awful for you. I like the Amish noodles too, but of course, you can't get them down here. Since there is a very large Amish community in Indiana only about 30 miles from South Bend, you could get fresh noodles and such at the Farmer's Market. There is a little sandwich shop in South Bend a short walk from the law firm I worked at called "Aunt Karen's." It is run completely by Amish ladies and everything is fresh and homecooked. They have wonderful soups and sandwiches and great cookies. We also have a wonderful "complex" of shops and restaurant and bakery up there in Shipshewanna. They do a family style eating with salad with homemade dressings, then they bring out homemade noodles, real mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans or corn, fried chicken, homemade bread and you can then chose a second meat of baked steak, ham, or roast beef. You also get a choice of a slice of homemade pie for dessert. My favorite is their raspberry cream pie, which is a custard cream pie with a fresh raspberry layer. We treat ourselves to dinner or lunch there when we go up. We haven't been there in a long time though.

Jean: I guess Jackson is having a wonderful time shoveling snow with his dad and playing in it. It is really the first big snow they have had since his birth and he is old enough to enjoy it now. Dad is teaching him right getting him ready to take over the job when he is a teen! Do you know, I have never been measured at the doctor's even when I have my physical? Hope Bob's meeting went ok and he didn't get stuck anywhere.

Maggie: I too am wondering how Will's dr appt went. What do they think is wrong with his knee? Jack is almost positive his is the meniscus again but won't know until they do an MRI and such. I felt so sorry for him yesterday. He took a nap on the couch and his knee stiffened up while he slept. He awoke and moved it and cried out something awful almost brought him to tears. I will be so glad when they do something, though there is only so much they can do.

Well girls, I need to make a menu and grocery list. I hope they have some decent fruit today. I get tired of the same stuff. Have a good one all. Faye