South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #1  
Beautiful Underneath

S/C/G: 220/211.8/110

Height: 5'4''

Question Have you ever used these?

I've been considering incorporating kettlebells into my workout at home in addition to yoga and my trips to the gym. I already have 8 pound dumbbells, but the kettlebell is supposed to work almost all of the muscles in your body. Has anyone on the SB had any experience with these? Are they as effective (when used correctly) as they say they are?

On another note, I am looking forward to yoga sooo much. I can't get my video because the library isn't open until Monday and I didn't realize that.

Thanks for your input!
Bellissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

I haven't tried Kettlebells, but if you aren't wanting to wait for Monday for the yoga, have you checked out exercisetv.tv? They have some yoga videos available for free streaming.
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

In the Fitness section of the forum, there may be some info about kettlebells. That might be a good place to ask questions. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-equipment-213/
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I use kettlebells frequently and love them. Make sure to learn how to properly use them because it is easy to hurt yourself - you won't believe how many people hit themselves in the head or tear ligaments while using them. Go light before you go heavy to ease yourself into them. Grab a video on youtube or at the library with kettlebell workouts and concentrate on your form really hard.

they do work really well, though. you also might want to try resistance bands if you're looking for alternatives to dumbbells. resistance bands provide more constant resistance than dumbbells (at the bottom of your rep, there is hardly any resistance with a dumbbell, but resistance bands still carry 75% of their intended resistance at the bottom). PLUS, resistance bands are small enough that you can bring them anywhere.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #5  
Beautiful Underneath

Thank you everyone for your input!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/218/160

Height: 5'10''

Hey there! If you're thinking about Kettlebells, it's been the greatest thing I've ever done for myself. It was helpful to find a RKC instructor who could show me how things were done so I didn't injure myself. To find someone in your area, check out the following site (i can't post links yet, but if you google "rkc"+"instructor" - it's the first link.

I don't supplement with any other exercise anymore. It's kick butt cardio and strength jam packed into a relatively short session. You'll love it!!
KBKara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

I just bought some kettle bells today. I am so excited about them. I got them for a great price. I am starting slow and working from there.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #8  
Beautiful Underneath

I went to pick up kettlebells at my local Target and they were sold out so I picked up a Shake Weight. Nice arm workout if I must say! Gets a bit getting used to but after you try it for a few minuets it you get more turned onto it. I know it looks corny, but I have high hopes for it!