General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default TV series recommendations?

So, me and a good friend of mine love watching movies and TV series together. However, we both have very different taste so it's hard to find a compromise. We recently finished watching the most recent season of True Blood and enjoyed that a lot, it had romance for me and action for him (but he complained that it was a "girl show" the whole time, LOL). We tried to watch Boardwalk Empire but found it boring. He loves Dexter, I love Gossip Girl. We both enjoyed The Walking Dead. Neither of us mind blood, sex or any of that as long as the story is good and engaging. I'd prefer a newer series by the way, one that is still going on or very recently ended. We both hate "scary" stuff like demons and ghosts, and I dislike anything that has to do with surgery or hospitals.

Thank you for any help! I know I sound picky but I'd like some suggestions related to stuff that we both like.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

AMC puts out the best series on television, in my estimation. You can't go wrong with "Mad Men," Breaking Bad," or (as you noticed) "The Walking Dead." I missed the first couple of seasons of both MM and BB because I didn't think I was interested in either ad execs of the early '60s or in chem teachers who moonlighted as meth-cooks, but I was wrong on both counts. A great show transcends its genre, as both these dramas do.

If you're also doing the DVD/Blu-Ray thing and looking for stuff you might've missed, I've also got to recommend "The Wire." I know you specified newer shows and it's been off HBO for a while now, but it remains one **** of a good show if you decide to take a chance on it. It's profoundly cynical, so be forewarned--but it's also one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

You might also like "Arrested Development," which died too young a death at the cold, uncaring hands of Fox execs. It's another show that's been gone a few years (sorry, I know I keep throwing older shows out there!), but it was an extremely clever comedy. The writers had a way of bending jokes in on themselves so that a joke in the third season had its roots in the first season. I still re-watch that show on DVD occasionally--and it's still hilarious to me.

If you're into comedies, "Modern Family" is an ongoing show that's worth a look. We first decided to take a look at it to see how it got nominated for so many Emmys; well, now we know--it got 'em because it's laugh-out-loud funny. I generally dislike a mean-spirited comedy ("Arrested Development" is an exception to that rule, because it's pretty brutal) and I find MF refreshingly kind without ever being saccharine.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #3  

While it doesn't quite fit your "recent" criteria, I must recommend "Firefly".
It was canceled because FOX played it out of order, and has such a strong fan following that after the show was canceled, a movie (Serenity) was made. Science fiction with flairs of western themes, with fantastic wit.

I'm not a Buffy fan at all (...the content had potential to be great, but in my humble opinion, it was poorly acted), but Joss Whedon really hit stride with Firefly. Another notable Whedon creation was Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, which was a 3-parter starring Neil Patrick Harris and, again, Nathan Fillion (plays Mal on Firefly).

Not to seem a Fillion fanatic, but "Castle" is also pretty good, and is currently in season three. It can get a little monotonous in a marathon session, but that doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable as a series.

It's funny, we really don't watch recent series. "Drive" was gearing up to be excellent, but FOX screwed the pooch AGAIN, and the fans suffered as it was canceled after maybe four episodes...and now, I'll never know what happened! *cries*

The Sarah Connor Chronicles are worth watching...

I've heard that "Weeds" is good, and I enjoyed the episode that I watched (though I missed a bit due to it being out of context). Also, if you're into westerns, "Deadwood".

And, though I haven't seen it, I've heard nothing but good about "Mad Men". Might have to check it out.

Last edited by ArcticFrogs; 01-07-2011 at 08:06 AM.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Dexter, Weeds

Both available on Netflix for previous seasons
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Boardwalk Empire!!!!!
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFrogs View Post
While it doesn't quite fit your "recent" criteria, I must recommend "Firefly".
It was canceled because FOX played it out of order, and has such a strong fan following that after the show was canceled, a movie (Serenity) was made. Science fiction with flairs of western themes, with fantastic wit.

I'm not a Buffy fan at all (...the content had potential to be great, but in my humble opinion, it was poorly acted), but Joss Whedon really hit stride with Firefly. Another notable Whedon creation was Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, which was a 3-parter starring Neil Patrick Harris and, again, Nathan Fillion (plays Mal on Firefly).

Not to seem a Fillion fanatic, but "Castle" is also pretty good, and is currently in season three. It can get a little monotonous in a marathon session, but that doesn't mean that it isn't enjoyable as a series.

I don't know about you, but I can barely stand to watch anything with a firefly actor in it. Makes me too sad for fireflys loss
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #7  
Livin' Like a Lucky Charm

S/C/G: 280/258.8/142

Height: 5'4''

I found it hard to answer this, because I love medical dramas. House, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice are three of my favorite TV shows! But if you like any kind of drama, I recommend any of the Law and Order series. The newest - Law & Order: LA is pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised.
Charmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180.6/177.2/120

Height: 5'1"

My boyfriend and I just watched the first 4 seasons of 30 Rock - way better than I thought. I've also watched the full series of 24, Dexter (both w the bf) Friends, Arrested Developmemnt, Greys, The Office.

My bf and sis were both into Rescue Me but I haven't gotten to watch that yet.

I watched the first seasons of Weeds but find it to be too far fetched now or something, lost my interest. We also started Six Feet Under - which was good but moved pretty slow and we never finished the series.

I'm also on season 3 of Sex and the City but idk, I keep watching but don't think i love it.
sailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Love love LOVE Dexter
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Supernatural isn't too bad, and I love Desperate Housewives. Ghost Whisperer is also decent.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #11  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Mad men is seriously the best show on TV. although there will be a long wait, and im still not too sure when it's due back on tv. But its seriously good tv.

Modern family is SO funny, and the writing and acting are wonderful!!
Dexter is an amazing show, as you already know.

Criminal minds is also a very great drama. And lucky its also placed on three different networks. CBS of course as well as A&E and Ion. It drama but heartfelt as well, and you seriously wont want to stop watching, i know i didn't.

and I cant really think of anything else right now. lol.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/218.5/160

Height: 5' 7"

My husband and I just starting watching Son's of Anarchy. Just started Season 2 last night. We really do like it. I had to check it out after all the hipe I had been hearing from everyone. Season 3 hasn't started yet, so you would be able to get caught up.
tntklip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I don't watch much in the way of current tv. Before I came down to visit my fiance my mom and I were watching Grey's Anatomy. We have season 6 and 7 left to go, so no spoilers please. I'm not one that is terribly fond of medical shows, but Grey's and House both transcend the usual medical dramas. I must say I find myself more attached to the Grey's characters than the House characters. I have had to look away a few times (I have a serious aversion to anything eye related).
The man and I are currently watching Babylon 5. I missed seeing it when it was initially on. It's a little cheesy and campy, but it's a lot of fun. We just started season 3 this morning.
I would also recommend Homicide: Life on the Street. Police drama, great acting, good story arc, some crossovers with Law & Order (another great show, especially the older episodes). What I've seen of Criminal Minds I've liked.
I would also suggest The Practice. Lawyer drama.
Dead Like Me, offbeat, funny, and serious at the same time.
The only current thing besides Dexter and House that I watch is Big Bang Theory. I love the nerd humor. Anything else that I watch is vlogs and news shows on youtube.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #14  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Weeds up until this season
The Office up until last season
Six Feet Under
Oz
Married with Children
Mad Men <3 <3 <3
Carnivale
LOST

That's all I can think of for now.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #15  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Damages is very good. I enjoy Parenthood too.

I also loved Deadwood, Carnivale and The Wire.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote