South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/142/129

Height: 5'3"

Question Doesn't seem hard. Am I doing it right?

I am fairly active and healthy. I am back in school (my Master's) and working full-time. I don't have the extra time to hit the gym as much so I am trying to zone in on my diet. I know you can't out-train a bad diet, but running 25 miles a week sure helped! Now I am kind of in a sedentary life (only getting about 2 or 3 workouts in and they are quick 2 or 3 milers v. 10). I work 8 hours at a desk then school and studying at night.

I have a crazy sweet tooth and with the holiday snacking it is back at full blast. I just read "SBD Supercharged". I want to do phase 1 to get off the crazy sugar/carb craving cycle.

I am just finishing up Day 2. I feel great, not hungry and I don't feel deprived. I know this sounds silly, but am I doing it right??? On "diets" in the past I am usually tired, cranky or hungry (or all 3) at the end of the day.

Here is what Day 1 and 2 looked like:

B - egg beaters w/ a little shredded cheese, 1 turkey sausage link, coffee
S - 15 almonds, 1 tbs natural peanut butter, cheese stick
-- Ran 2 miles--
L - huge spinach salad with chicken, cucumbers, LF cheese, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado w/ LF/low sugar Italian dressing
S - laughing cow cheese wedge, serving black beans
S - 2 hardboiled eggs

I didn't really eat dinner because I woke-up late, had late lunch, etc. I wasn't hungry at all.

B - egg beaters w/ a little shredded cheese, 4 slices of turkey bacon, 1/3 cucumber, coffee
S - laughing cow cheese, 8 almonds, carbmaster yogurt (low sugar, low carb, low fat)
S - string cheese
D - 1/2 salmon burger (didn't really like it), black beans, spinach salad w/ shredded cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes and jalapeņo stuffed olives w/ lf/lf italian dressing
S - 2 "peanut butter cookies" (natural pb, stevia), diet soda, one serving "sugar free sweet treat 90 calories" (I know it isn't the best but I have been studying all day).

Am I on the right track? I might've sneaked in an extra LF string cheese either of the days. I can't quite remember...it is nice because I am FINALLY not counting calories. I was under the impression that if it was allowable then I could go ahead and eat it (of course within moderation).

Nearing the end of day 2 I don't feel deprived...which almost makes me worried because I don't feel "as if it is working." I know that logic isn't sound, but I figured you ladies would know what I mean. Do I seem to be on the right track? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by jms423; 01-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.
jms423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms423 View Post
I am fairly active and healthy. I am back in school (my Master's) and working full-time. I don't have the extra time to hit the gym as much so I am trying to zone in on my diet. I know you can't out-train a bad diet, but running 25 miles a week sure helped! Now I am kind of in a sedentary life (only getting about 2 or 3 workouts in and they are quick 2 or 3 milers v. 10). I work 8 hours at a desk then school and studying at night.

I have a crazy sweet tooth and with the holiday snacking it is back at full blast. I just read "SBD Supercharged". I want to do phase 1 to get off the crazy sugar/carb craving cycle.

I am just finishing up Day 2. I feel great, not hungry and I don't feel deprived. I know this sounds silly, but am I doing it right??? On "diets" in the past I am usually tired, cranky or hungry (or all 3) at the end of the day.

Here is what Day 1 and 2 looked like:

B - egg beaters w/ a little shredded cheese, 1 turkey sausage link, coffee
S - 15 almonds, 1 tbs natural peanut butter, cheese stick
-- Ran 2 miles--
L - huge spinach salad with chicken, cucumbers, LF cheese, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado w/ LF/low sugar Italian dressing
S - laughing cow cheese wedge, serving black beans
S - 2 hardboiled eggs

I didn't really eat dinner because I woke-up late, had late lunch, etc. I wasn't hungry at all.

B - egg beaters w/ a little shredded cheese, 4 slices of turkey bacon, 1/3 cucumber, coffee
S - laughing cow cheese, 8 almonds, carbmaster yogurt (low sugar, low carb, low fat)
S - string cheese
D - 1/2 salmon burger (didn't really like it), black beans, spinach salad w/ shredded cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes and jalapeņo stuffed olives w/ lf/lf italian dressing
S - 2 "peanut butter cookies" (natural pb, stevia), diet soda, one serving "sugar free sweet treat 90 calories" (I know it isn't the best but I have been studying all day).

Am I on the right track? I might've sneaked in an extra LF string cheese either of the days. I can't quite remember...it is nice because I am FINALLY not counting calories. I was under the impression that if it was allowable then I could go ahead and eat it (of course within moderation).

Nearing the end of day 2 I don't feel deprived...which almost makes me worried because I don't feel "as if it is working." I know that logic isn't sound, but I figured you ladies would know what I mean. Do I seem to be on the right track? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

First, Welcome!

Second, SB is a great way to tame that sweet tooth. i've allowed myself to go off plan a few times over the holidays and will return back to phase 1 on Wednesday to get rid of whatever cravings are still lingering. The first two weeks aren't really difficult and it sounds like you're on the right track.

The most important thing for me is to include dairy and beans into phase 1. it helps to keep me satisfied and keeps any headaches from lack of sweets/carbs at bay.

One thought, you may want to take a second look at your yogurt. No yogurt is sugar free (because of the natural sugars that lactose has) but make sure there are no added sugars or starches used to thicken it. Fat free plain is your best option during phase 1. It can be sweetened with sugar free coffee syrups (vanilla is great) or even sugar free jello/crystal light powder if you don't like the plain flavor.

Also, and you already mentioned this, but make sure you're staying within the recommended allowances for cheese. There is a LOT of cheese in your daily menus. Keep that in mind for nuts and nut butters as well.

Other than that, it looks like you're on the right track!

Good luck!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #3  

Thank you for your reply and support. I think you are right about the nuts and cheese. I love me some cheese though! I will keep an eye on that.

Here is the nutritional facts on the yogurt I eat. Please let me know if this is ok. I don't want to en eating something I think is ok when it really isn't!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 container
Calories 80 Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1.5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 80mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 3g
Protein 12g

Ingredients: water, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, cream, modified corn starch, glycerine, natural and artifical flavor, salt, gelatin, tricalcium phosphate, malic acid, phosphoric acid, pectin, agar, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, annatto and turmeric extract (for color), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D3, active cultures with L acidophilus and B. bifidum

haha! I hope this ok because I love it and stocked up this morning.

It is just so strange to not feel hungry and to not count calories. It feels wrong (but sooooo good!)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

looks ok aside from the modified food starch. if it were me, i would probably finish what you bought - just be aware of the potential for cravings and stop eating it if it causes them.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

What I love about SBD is that I don't feel hungry or deprived. Keep in mind that you may (or may not) have a temporary dip in energy as you detox from the sugar.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #6  

Thanks for the support. I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I will watch my fats w/ the nuts and natural peanut butter as well as watch the cheese. Also, I am trying really hard to add in vegetables at every occasion. I added 1/2 bell pepper to my breakfast this morning.

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

SB is the only way of eating that has kept me satisfied and "not deprived". Welcome to the beach!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #8  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

I know I have a HUGE sweet tooth myself- that'll go away after your two week P1 (if you go clean). But it helped me to cut out all "faux" sweets for the first two weeks- or at least just limit yourself to one.
"S - 2 "peanut butter cookies" (natural pb, stevia), diet soda, one serving "sugar free sweet treat 90 calories" (I know it isn't the best but I have been studying all day)."

Seems like a little too much sweet. Try having just one things of those a day. It'll help break the sweet tooth.

If there's an alternate that you like without a sweet taste (i.e. herbal tea) then you can swap that out. I have to remember to do that when I realize that I'm on my fourth cup of coffee a day.... I like mine with a packet of splenda.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

The only thing I'm not following to a T w/ the SBD is my morning smoothie. It was in last March's Women's World Magazine...It's Dr. Oz's fat blasting smoothie and it calls for berries (3/4 c.) or 1/2 a banana and juice (1 c. any kind). I use blueberries and strawberries and apple juice but I don't use the full cup of juice...like today I did 2/3 c. juice and 1/3 cup water...other days it's half/half. What I think negates the fruit portion of the drink is the wheat germ, flax seed, physllium husk, and whey protein. It has curbed my cravings in the morning and keeping w/ the SBD small snacks make me feel satiated all day. I've been making my smoothies for the last 4 days and I feel a bit better each day.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/168/135

Height: 5'6"

Hello Fellow New Beacher!

I am on day 2 of phase 1.

I love your "love me some cheese" comment! That is my biggest temptation... life might not be worth living were it not for cheese!

Good Luck to you!

jinx1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

GG, that's quite a bit of fruit, more than you generally would consume even in Phase 2. There is a reason that Dr. A eliminates all fruit during phase 1, and fruit juices are not really encouraged at all. The other ingredients are certainly healthy; and it's not that fruit is not healthy, it's just that doing a very clean Phase 1 creates a long lasting change in your body that helps you curb your carb cravings long term. I'm not sure if you'll get the same results by including the fruit so soon.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscarchie View Post
I know I have a HUGE sweet tooth myself- that'll go away after your two week P1 (if you go clean). But it helped me to cut out all "faux" sweets for the first two weeks- or at least just limit yourself to one.
"S - 2 "peanut butter cookies" (natural pb, stevia), diet soda, one serving "sugar free sweet treat 90 calories" (I know it isn't the best but I have been studying all day)."

Seems like a little too much sweet. Try having just one things of those a day. It'll help break the sweet tooth.

If there's an alternate that you like without a sweet taste (i.e. herbal tea) then you can swap that out. I have to remember to do that when I realize that I'm on my fourth cup of coffee a day.... I like mine with a packet of splenda.
Yes! I agree. I think the sugar free treats are kind of a trigger for me. I am going through a crazy time at work and school so I am especially proud of myself for sticking w/ the diet.

I guess it wasn't so hard for a few days while I was on vacation, but now back in the "real world" it is harder. I just want a stupid granola bar soooo bad. But, I won't. I am not hungry - I just want to be comforted.

I guess I jumped the gun when I said "it doesn't seem too hard" It isn't too bad because I am not hungry, but I do just want to snack on something yummy.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
GG, that's quite a bit of fruit, more than you generally would consume even in Phase 2. There is a reason that Dr. A eliminates all fruit during phase 1, and fruit juices are not really encouraged at all. The other ingredients are certainly healthy; and it's not that fruit is not healthy, it's just that doing a very clean Phase 1 creates a long lasting change in your body that helps you curb your carb cravings long term. I'm not sure if you'll get the same results by including the fruit so soon.
This is the main reason I want to make it through phase 1 so bad....not even the weight loss..but the carb cravings. I know if I can curb those then the weightloss will happen. Until then it is just a daily battle w/ my will power.

When does it start to "work"?!?!?!??!?????

Last edited by jms423; 01-05-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
Mmc is technically right, but I'll pipe in here, since I'm one of the beachers who has had a Dr Oz type smoothie since the day I started SBD. I will admit I added a bit of fruit, even in Phase 1, but I'm not advocating it. Dr A. did have a reason. GiggleGoddess, I might suggest that you ditch the fruit juice. The sugars are really concentrated and I think actually you'll find it is sweet enough without the juice. One of the reasons SBD works so well is because we eat in a way that stabilizes our insulin levels, which in turn affects our being in a weightloss mode. Adding fruit juices and raising your BS level might actually slow your weightloss. BTW I feel great with my morning smoothie, too.

jms, sorry for getting off topic on your thread. I would have sent a PM to GGoddess but can't yet....

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Mmc is technically right, but I'll pipe in here, since I'm one of the beachers who has had a Dr Oz type smoothie since the day I started SBD. I will admit I added a bit of fruit, even in Phase 1, but I'm not advocating it. Dr A. did have a reason. GiggleGoddess, I might suggest that you ditch the fruit juice. The sugars are really concentrated and I think actually you'll find it is sweet enough without the juice. One of the reasons SBD works so well is because we eat in a way that stabilizes our insulin levels, which in turn affects our being in a weightloss mode. Adding fruit juices and raising your BS level might actually slow your weightloss. BTW I feel great with my morning smoothie, too.

jms, sorry for getting off topic on your thread. I would have sent a PM to GGoddess but can't yet....
Oops! Sorry if I posted off topic I'll keep your guys' feedback in mind...I'll have to try it w/o the fruit juice...I was kinda wondering about that myself even though it doesn't say it has HFCS - only apple juice concentrate. Thanks for the feedback !
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote