General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/157/130

Height: 5'5"

Default I need a healthy on-the-go breakfast

I have a one hour commute and I'm always in a rush in the morning. I've tried, but I just can't lug my rear out of bed to make something and eat it before I leave.

This has led to me stopping at the c-store for breakfast and caffiene fix.

Any suggestions on something I can grab on my way out the door and eat in the car, or does that not exist? LOL
130orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This comes from Mandalinn but how about almond butter and banana in a whole wheat tortilla? Actually any burritos should be good. They are highly portable.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/ 130.0/ 110

Height: 5'0

Hey 130,

I had the exact same issue as you and have discovered having yogurt and some fruit is the perfect breakfast for me. I pack all my meals the night before and make sure I have a non fat, low cal yogurt and usually an apple and/or some whole wheat crackers depending on how hungry I might feel in the morning. I've been able to stick with this for months and for me the key has been to try a different flavor/brand of yogurt every week so I don't get bored.
Csiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

You can premake and freeze breakfast burritos or muffin tin baked omelets.
I've used recipes for "breakfast cookies" in the past.
Pre-portion cut fruit into reusable containers to grab and go.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

There are lots of recipes for fruit and oatmeal breakfast bars. I have tried a few, but I don't yet have a favorite. I like that you can make them up on the weekend and eat them all week and they are pretty substantial so you don't feel hungry. You can add nuts or fruit or both.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Try a whole wheat round with peanut butter and sliced fruit (banana, apple) on top - it takes about 3 minutes to make - I slice my fruit while the round is toasting (they're 100 cal, 5 g fiber). Also I scramble eggs/egg beaters and put in the fridge for quick use in the mornings, too, for a breakfast burrito, etc. Also like the autumn harvest kashi cereal - 24 little mini wheats for a serving and take a cup of milk with me. Easy car eating GOOD LUCK!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Here are my favs. They are mostly make ahead with a bit of reheating...

English Muffin, toasted, with deli ham, cheddar cheese, and a slice of apple (My absolute fav, I <3 this more than McDonald's Sausage Biscuits now. And I LOOOOVED those! ).

Oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar, almonds and dried apricots (raisin are good too). The almonds give a bit of protein.

Yogurt with frozen berries, a bit of vanilla granola, and almonds.

Protein Bagel with Peanut butter or Almond butter.

Frozen waffles/pancakes with a veggie sauage patty (also frozen!) topped 1/3 cup of frozen blueberries microwaved until sauce-like.

And an odd one: I take a hard-boiled egg and mash it up small with a fork (i don't really like the whites too much, this distributes the yolk really well), then I add some mustard and put it on toast or a bagel thin. I add tomato slices if i have them. I know the mustard-only thing is weird, but I hate mayo.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I actually used to leave some food in my car because I was in a very similar situation as yours (I only recommend this for the colder months though). Get some bananas and a jar of almonds and just keep them in the passenger seat. I used to keep protein bars in my car too and would just grab a piece of fruit to go with it on the way out.

Last edited by tattoodles; 01-04-2011 at 05:38 PM.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW173/CW164.5/GW140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen516 View Post
English Muffin, toasted, with deli ham, cheddar cheese, and a slice of apple (My absolute fav, I <3 this more than McDonald's Sausage Biscuits now. And I LOOOOVED those! ).

This sounds yummy! I'm going to have to try it
justjen78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Breakfast muffins are great ~ and easy. Take a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin. Mix together and bake according to the box directions on time and temp. You can also use carrot cake mix. They're great.

I am also a fan of pre-made burritos. They are great especially if you take the bus or train as long as the bus allows you to eat.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I know this isn't "on the go", but it's so fast it might as well be: 1/2 c. egg beaters + a whole egg. Mix in mw-safe dish (15 seconds). MW on high until done (1 min @ 1200 watts, 75 seconds @ 900 watts). Salt + pepper (5 seconds). Cool & eat (1 min).

Total time: < 3 minutes, including the time it takes to rinse out the egg dish & fork.

That's only about 150 calories, but since it's mostly protein and unsaturated fat it will stick to you better than a carb-heavy breakfast, and you'll avoid a sugar crash later. (Most meal replacement bars are loaded with sugar in one form or another, and the protein in them -- if any -- is typically fast-digesting whey or soy protein.) If you need more calories than this to tide you over, grab an apple on your way out the door & eat it in the car.

//b. strong
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #12  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Make a peanut butter & banana sandwich on whole wheat toast or untoasted & smoosh it together & it's a perfect go to breakfast & wash it down with a cup of tea in your car when you need a go to meal! .
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I make the BEST pumpkin raisin muffins. They only have 139 calories, 2g fat, 105mg sodium and are loaded with fiber and protein. Flaxseed, whole wheat flour, 14 oz pumpkin, and splenda are just some of the ingredients. Let me know if you want the complete recipe...they are truly OUTRAGEOUSLY delishous, and keep me satisifed until lunch. I usually eat one with 2 Jimmy Dean (precooked) turkey sausage links (80 cals.) for a total 219 cals. GREAT on the GO breakfast!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/157/130

Height: 5'5"

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to have to try peanut butter and banana's. It's never sounded good to me, but I honestly have never tried it. We always have both in the house for the kids.

I'm going grocery shopping tonight so I will pick up some fixins for the burrito suggestions as well.

Last night I was driving home thinking that it does take at LEAST 5 minutes to stop at the c-store. You've given me some good ideas on how to spend that 5 minutes in my kitchen before I leave. Helping my body and my pocket book!
130orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #15  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I appreciate the tips as well.

Most Monday mornings I get leave around 4:30 in the morning for a weekly 3 hour commute (I like to spend as much weekend time at home with the husband as I can before back to the grind).

I get hungry for breakfast about halfway through the drive and if I have to eat another luna bar (or homemade granola bar), I might go crazy.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote