Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301/223.4/160

Height: 5'5

Default Wii Fit?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the Wii fit and what they think of it? My sister got one for an early Christmas present and I haven't been over yet to use it but she is addicted to it. I am a traditional gym person myself so I am a little skeptical about using a video game to workout. Has anyone tried it? If so it is something that you would use to support your normal workout routine or something that is cool on its own?
ChescaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  

Whoops sorry for posting out of the topic I didn't realize there was already an exercise equipment thread. Ahh the hazzards of being a newbie.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169/144/135

Height: 5'6"

I actually just dusted of my Wii fit. I have the basic games that came with the balance board. In my opinion, they are fun and addicting but not enough to replace a normal workout routine. HOWEVER, there are other games you can buy that maybe more intense and accomplish your personal wo goals.

PROS
- its easy
- you can do it at home
- calculates your BMI
- helps you set weight loss goals
- gives you scores on your activities so you try to beat them
- it tracks your weight, bmi, workouts

CONS
- only takes your weight and height into consideration
- tells you that you are over weight
- makes your character fat if you are heavier
- most activities are less than a min. not consistent enough to get your heart rate up
- lose interest (best played with a friend to keep the competiveness going)

My new BF likes it and I no longer have cable so I will probably be turning to that for entertainment. Anything is better than sitting on the couch with Bon-Bons.
ja2ma6lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #4  

To be honest, it is something you would use to support your normal workout routine. On it's own it's not enough unless your not used to exercise. The games are fun to begin with but get boring after a while, but if you play with friends it makes it more interesting.
Miss Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #5  

Default My video game reminds be I'm a chubbs

ja2ma6lee, Thanks for the lists they really help. I guess I could see how it could benefit from having a buddy play with you. No cable, that must be tough. I don't know what I would do without HBO. The Wii doesn't play DVDs does it?

Miss Blue, that sounds right. Since my sister lives at home with my mom and I am gonna be there for about 4 weeks I guess I will end up jogging and using the Wii Fit as I would any video game, as a toy. And possibly a scale.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

try Wii Just Dance 2...you'll get a real hardcore workout! I love doing it by myself...I feel silly doing it around others...cuz I can't dance that well...haha!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

The hula-hooping game (under aerobics can be a bit of a workout) and sometimes I like to do the free step and free run (you unlock these by playing the step and run games if I remember right... it's been a while) whilst watching tv (yes it allows you to change the channel and the wii-mote keeps you on track and let's you know when to stop stepping or jogging on the spot). I get a wii boost step from Everlast so that I'm stepping higher and the wii sets a number-of-steps challenges (within the given time) so it can be quite the workout trying to meet that challenge or exceed it. I still go to the gym to run on the treadmill but sometimes on off days, I do a free-run whilst watching tv or a free step.

Also the strength exercises and the yoga exercises are pretty good although easy to half-a*s. I've also got the wii 2-lb dumbells from Everlast to add weight and resistance to the boxing games etc. You could also use ankle and wrist weights to make it a little harder.

I don't necessarily use my wii fit THAT much but when I do, I know I can either be serious and make it a worthwhile work out or I can just play and have fun and have less of a workout but at least not be sedentary while doing so.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #8  

I'm planning on getting the "Just Dance" game. My bf and I did the fitness test last night. He is all excited that it says he is 21. Unfortunately, I'm a bit older and considered "over weight."
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #9  

I got Just Dance 2 and the Jenny McCarthy Your Shape for the Wii. I love the Just Dance. The McCarthy game is a little harder because it uses the camera. I know I'm doing it right but the camera is not registering it.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #10  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

My opinions of the Wii Fit - it's good to get you up off the couch, but if you're looking for a workout there are better "video games" for that. I found it to be pretty simplistic at times and like a previous poster said, didn't keep things going long enough to get your heart rate up.

BUT...it's better than nothing at all and can help people bridge into a bigger workout routine.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote