Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Not expecting yet...but questions

The husband and I are considering TTC in the next few months. I'm trying hard to figure out what to do to get ready for this without stressing out...stress makes me eat, and eating too much causes weight gain, which I don't need right now.

I've stopped taking BC, though we're not going to start actually "trying" for another couple of months. Having blood work done Thursday, just to make sure everything's ok with me before we get too far in. Calling about an appt. with the gyno tomorrow, since my annual checkup covered by insurance isn't 'til April.

What else do we need to do? What did all of you do when you decided it was time?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Obviously you're already eating a healthy diet so it's likely your doctor will just advise you to begin a prenatal vitamin to ensure you're getting a sufficient amount of folic acid from the very beginning.

Honestly I wouldn't stress; that's worse for you than missing some little tiny thing doctors and researchers are still debating the benefits of.

I got pregnant with my first and didn't know for the longest time (irregular periods coupled with a drunken night... I think). So I didn't take prenatal vitamins until after five weeks or so. I also didn't have insurance until my second trimester so my first appointment with my obstetrician wasn't until then. My son's 3 1/2 now and he's perfectly fine, no complications at birth (other than two weeks late! )

Good luck!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I strongly recommend getting your hands on the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Even if you decide not to take your temps, it had a tone of invaluable info. It can really clue you in to any issues you might have and really gets you in tune with your body.

I had my pre-conception appt when I had my annual and all that really entailed was a discussion about genetic testing, any past or hereditary reproductive issues, and a rubella test to make sure my vaccination was still good (rubella is deadly to a fetus).

I presume this is along the lines of what you will experience. I don't think there's much more bloodwork to do until you resume your non-BCP cycle (then they can look for hormone imbalances) if you haven't already.

Good luck and happy baby dancing

Last edited by junebug41; 01-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #4  

It's crazy all the conflicting information you find online. Some say wait 2 months off BC before trying and others say 3 or more. A common is taking vitamins with folic acid, so I've started those and probably eat plenty in my diet as well. Just gonna talk to doctors and see what they say! Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

LOL, for me, going off birth control WAS trying. You might be surprised. My Dr told me 6 months -1 year with my first (because of how long I'd been on the pill) and it took 6 weeks. My second took once. Just once without protection and I was pregnant.

Start taking a good prenatal now. You need that folic acid before you even realize you're pregnant. Other than that, I'd say keep your stress level down, eat and exercise like you have been and stay optimistic!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

Gale02 - haha that's me too, my first was the first month off BC, my second actually took 5 months (I blame it on the darn Yaz - evil stuff), and my third was the first month too.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, already eating healthy, start a prenatal just in case, if you're a caffeine addict start weaning it down now (you can have caffeine 200-300 mg while pregnant). Other than that relax, try and reduce your stress, educate yourself (it's amazing how little most women know about their bodies) a good site is www.fertilityfriend.com If you want to get a grasp on your cycles and when you ovulate you can start charting BBT, that way when you're ready you'll know around when you should be DTD. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by emiloots; 01-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I also second Taking Charge of your fertility - but I found it very useful mostly because it took SO long to conceive DS - 3 years! DD was a different story, 1 try for her. Other than just making sure I was ready and DH was ready, and we had the basics to provide for a baby, that's all I worried about when starting to try other than the obvious ones of eating healthy and taking a vitamin. I second trying to take it easy and not stressing about it, and tons of baby dust to you!!!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #8  

Did anyone have to take a chewable prenatal vitamin? I can't swallow pills...just wondering what's available.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #9  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

Definitely start taking your pre-natals and don't worry when you go off the pill. I as off one month, had sex twice and got pregnant. And I think I may be pregnant again but will know next week! Don't stress, only have sex once a day when you are in your most fertile timer since if you do it a few times the sperm count isn't the best and relax and enjoy yourself. Sometimes you can get pregnant right away, other times not. So just try and go with the flow. I think there are chewables but not sure if they will have them at the store. You can get them from your doc though.
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I received a bunch of vitamin samples at my first OB visit and some included a chewable prenatal. It was a prescription though and I haven't seen a chewable over-the-counter variety at any common stores (i.e. Walmart, CVS, Walgreens).

Motherhood usually carries the BellyBar brand products and they make a chewable prenatal. I see you're in North Texas and I know there's a store in the Denton Mall; if you're near there you might drop in.

If not, I know you can find several different brands online, it's just not as convenient as a drive to the store on the corner.

I've also heard of a liquid prenatal found at health food stores that can be added to a few ounces of juice. I have not looked into this at all so I can't really say much about the contents or taste.

Just check the label on all of them and make sure it has everything you need.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #11  

Calling today to make an appt. with the doc I go to for my yearly exams. Really want to talk to him before going much further since things may be complicated by a pretty extensive LEEP procedure done several years ago...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #12  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

The Flinstones Complete (in the purple bottle) are the exact same ingredients in exactly half the amount as a prenatal vitamin. You just have to take 2 of those instead of one. That's what my OB had me do in my first tri with each of my kids since the prenatals made me really sick.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #13  

Thanks, Gale! My appt. with the doctor isn't until the 19th, so that will give me something to take until then. I've been taking a Centrum chewable, but it's got a lot of Vitamin A which I see online isn't necessarily a good thing...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

I know I typed a response to this, but I guess I didn't hit submit...stinkin' pregnancy brain! Ha!! Anyway...what I said was...I was off BC for 2 years before I got preggo, so I guess everyone is different. SO, don't be discouraged if you don't get pregnant right away. Also, I had some chewables that my dr. prescribed me and they taste a lot like Flintstones. He also told me that I could take Flintstones if the chewables still made me sick (which they did). However, instead of switching to Flintstones, I started taking a gummy Prenatal vitamin that does not contain iron. I'm pretty sure the iron is what was making me feel so bad. So far, so good on those.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #15  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

First off, Mindi! Yay! How exciting for you guys!

My DH and I were not using bc for several months and nothing was happening...I was getting close to 34 and wanted to know if there were any issues. My primary care recommended using a fertility monitor. This showed me when my peak fertility days were(earlier in my cycle than I would have thought) and showed I was ovulating regularly. I became pregnant in my fourth month of using it, and my gorgeous son is now 7.

I have heard EXCELLENT things about the TCOYF book also.

Hope everything goes well for you!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote