Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/172/160

Height: 5"11

Default Cauliflower mashed potatoe recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for cauliflower mashed potatoes than is super yummy?
k15g15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mashed_potatoes.html
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I made some yesterday for the first time using 12 oz of cauliflower, 1/2 tbsp butter and 1 tablespoon of cream. I think it needed more butter and I could have done without the cream. I'm thinking milk would have been just fine. I didn't add more butter because I didn't want the calories (I was eating it all by myself). Next time I'll use at full tbsp of butter and skip the cream. Oh and I added garlic.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-03-2011 at 08:23 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'm not a low carber, so I hope it's ok I'm chiming in. Lately, when I make mashed potatoes, I use some potatoes, but mainly mashed turnips. I'm not sure how many carbs are in them, but I know they're lower in calories. It adds a peppery kind of taste, imo. My husband hasn't noticed yet! If this isn't of interest, just ignore me, lol! I got curious one day when my farmer's market has turnips for 25 cents a pound and thought I'd experiment.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I make a mashed cauliflower that is DIVINE and super easy, but it's not low fat. However, it has no butter, milk, or sour cream.

Steam a head of cauliflower put in a large bowl (or drain the water and just use the pan). Add a chunk (maybe 1/4 cup) cream cheese and then about the same amount of brie cheese. Trim out the white rind, obviously. The key is to melt the brie first in the microwave first. Then mix all together with hand held blender.

I have never served this to anyone who didn't like it. You can top with butter, sour cream, chives, or whatever you might want, but it really doesn't need it. I bought brie on sale several times between T'day and Christmas and made this a bunch.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/172/160

Height: 5"11

Excellent!! Lots of good choices to make!
k15g15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Not low carb but one of my new cookbooks has a recipe for cauliflower mashed potatoes. Basically it has potatoes and cauliflower in the recipe. I served them to someone who loves potatoes and they had no clue it wasn't regular mashed potatoes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I cook without using a recipe - I call it a "guessipe" because I don't usually make it exactly the same way every time.

My mashed cauliflower is a guessipe, not a recipe, but I've never had it turn out bad. (I calculate the exchange values as I cook, because I'm pretty good at doing math in my head - or I'll use a scrap piece of paper - so I don't have the calorie or exchange values).

I cook my cauliflower (usually the whole head, and everything but the outer leaves) in chicken broth or a mixture of water, milk and bouillon. I don't usually add butter unless I'm making it for company, then I'll add about a tsp per serving. I don't think it improves the flavor as much as the texture, but to me it doesn't make enough of a difference to matter.

When the cauliflower is tender, I drain it, but reserve the liquid. I add a tablespoon or two of mashed potato flakes (this barely raises the carb/calorie content per serving because it makes such a big batch, but it makes the flavor and texture more like actual mashed potatoes).

Then I mash, adding the cooking liquid as I go until it's the consistency I like. If I need to add more liquid, I'll use skim milk, but usually there's plenty of cooking liquid. Because I usually use bouillon in the cooking liquid, I don't have to add salt.

Sometimes I'll add sour cream and thinly sliced green onion (or better yet, in the summer if I can find them, fresh garlic chives or garlic buds) or a little bit of ranch dressing powder during the mashing, or even a little bit of shredded asiago (or other strong flavored) cheese, for a "twice-baked potato" vibe.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Hmm. Sour cream would be good. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I mash mine with a stick blender and a tablespoon or so of low fat sour cream. It gives them a good texture and binds them together. I add a little bit of butter or margarine and salt for flavor, a little bit of milk if it needs to be thinned out. I have found that the secret to getting the consistency right is to almost overcook the cauliflower, so that it's already a little mushy.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/300/250

Height: 5'7

Oooooo! I love this thread!!

I'm VERY new, but this thread caught my eye while I was exploring. I've heard of this concept, but I've never tried it before! Thank you all for the recipes and ideas!! I'm very excited to try it!
Princess Peach is offline   Reply With Quote