Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#312

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

WELCOME
Old 04-07-2003, 10:26 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hey, girlie, girls! I figured I better post before someone started B*^&chin' about me starting a new thread and not posting!

Please make sure you go back to the end of thread #311 and meet Marion if you haven't already.

I woke up honey this morning at 6:35 and there was nothing on the ground. By the time my alarm went off at 8:00 it was blizzard conditions and 2 inches of white stuff on the ground. YIKES! It continued snowing for several hours and then stopped. All the streets were wet and parking lots were so sloppy. But I worked a couple of jobs anyway. This afternoon it was supposed to start with the freezing rain so we'll see what we wake up to in the morning.

It has been some crazy days here. I decided today was the day to get my eatting back in order, sooooo, I did. I'm still not perfect, but "progress, not perfection" like 2cute always says.

I also made a huge decision today. I guess maybe I should take you back a few years (in case I haven't mentioned it before) to 1992-1996, I was elected as a local school board member. I served my 4 year term and then decided not to run for re-election. There were many reasons that I didn't run again, but that's really immaterial right now.

Anyway, about a month ago, I decided that I was going to file to run again this year. It actually started out as a joke, just to shake 'em up a bit. You see, I was a bit of a terror when I was on the board last. I liked to ask the questions no one else wanted to ask and I really didn't kitty foot around about it much. So even though some of the faces in the district have changed, my name still lives on in some circles. Anyway, as I said, it started out as a bit of a joke. Well as I was collecting signatures on the nominating petitions I found that 1. people are sick and tired of what's going on around here, 2. people who didn't necessarily agree with some of the stuff that went on when I was on the board before now realize that maybe I really did have something to say and a reason to question, and 3. people were very supportive of me running again and wanted to know how they could help.

So YIKES! There is only one seat open this year, instead of the usual 2. Today at 4:00 was when the petitions had to be turned in at the Superintendent's office so I waited until 3:15 to go in. Oh, did I mention that I sent in an anonymous person to pick up the petitions in the first place so that no one would know what I was planning? Well, that's what I did. So basically, when I got there, the Supt's secretary was surprised to see me and said that no one but the incumbent had filed petitions. WooHoo!!! That means the she (the incumbent) was planning on a 'cost nothing', 'shoe in', re-election. Well, guess what? It ain't gonna be sooo easy.

What really killed me is that at 5:55 tonight I was already getting a call from someone in the incumbent's camp asking me "respectfully" to withdraw from the race (I have 3 days to withdraw). Does news travel fast, or what???? It sure leads me to believe that they think I'm a real threat, cuz it took less that 2 hours for someone to call and ask the BIG question.

Oh well. The election isn't until June so you know that I will just be having the time of my life between now and then.

I'm going to try to get a couple of responses in here, but I'm not going to catch everyone because time is running out, so please forgive me if I don't get ya this time.

2cute: That is absolutely wonderful about your daughter's good fortune. I'm so happy for her. Please give her a hug for me. * Hope you have a safe trip to Missouri and that all is well.

Mary: I'm so happy for your brother. Good advice reminding him that he has rights to that baby. I think just maybe it put the fight back in him. * I was an elected official. Could I have come to your little shindig???? :;

Marion: Welcome aboard! So glad to have you join us. I saw you wrote "I just wish I had an emotional support too." Well, honey, I'm here to tell you you just found some. I'm one of the oldest on this thread, not in age, but in the life of the thread, [size=1]well, ok, in age too. A couple of us have been here since the "300+" thread started in 2000. My best advice is to come here often. It is inspirational and motivational and just plain fun! Again, glad to have you here.

Katrina: That Strawberry Pie looks wonderful. I have a different recipe for strawberry pie that I've been trying to find since the berries are in at the market. As soon as I find it, I'll post that one too. In the meantime, I'll be trying yours.

Tina: Boy, that Tony looks pretty sharp in a Tux. But then, I'm a sucker for men that are all dressed up. I really hate the idea of a casual office environment. Not enough suits around any more. not that I'd know what the inside of an office looks like anyway...

Donna: You have just been doing a great job getting your walking in every day, I'm sooo proud of you!!!

Lori: Sounds like you had an allergic reaction to the nuts. But then I have to say since I've started eatting a lower fat diet that when I get something like the pork chops I had the other day at a restaurant, they must have grilled them in butter or something, I get the same reaction.

Lucky: Darling, have we heard anything on the job yet??? My fingers and toes are getting major cramps, not to mention I can hardly get off the floor from kneeling to pray for you. Some news, soon, pleeeeeese.

Deon: Boy, I hope your niece pulls through this pregnancy ok with a new healthy little one. * Great job on having one of your favorites (KFC) without going overboard. I really enjoy their chicken strips and you can really have a nice meal with them if you pay attention to the sides you order.

Steph: I'm glad I'm not the only one having a roller coaster ride with the weather. Gosh, this is stupid, already!

Sandy: It sure sounds like you better start looking for posts the old fashioned way: like logging into the site and looking for them!!!! This e-mail notification thing is getting you far too stressed!!!

Well girls, I'm as caught up as I can get for right now. I hope this qualifies as a post so that I won't get yelled at.....again!!!
I'll see you all later.

God Bless America!

Last edited by thinthinker; 04-07-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:01 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

Wink I'm back...

HI guys... It is me again.
My roller coaster life has taken another turn in another direction.. AGAIN.
I am NOT going to Missouri now.

Marion... WELCOME to our humble abode. We always love newcomers. Although our stories are nothing alike (except weight/food wise).... I think you and I have a couple things in common. One main thing being.... you are a caretaker/enabler just like ME. That is NOT a good thing to have in common. LOL But the good news is.... there is help for both of us. I HIGHLY recommend you go to the library or used book store and get an ALANON book.
I think it is called the "The 12 Steps of Alanon". This is a book for family and friends of alcoholics. Your family and friends DON'T have to be alcoholics to help YOU. It mainly is a relationship handbook. LOL. It teaches you how to LET GO of letting others control the way you live YOUR life. It is sort of a self help book. It shows you how you have let others effect YOU... and how to quit letting them control your emotions, mind, body and spirit.
Just remember... there is help .... but you have to be willing to change yourself... NOT OTHERS.

Thin... I knew you would end up running for that office. I am happy for you... but PLEASE take time for YOURSELF too. I know you are an overachiever and that can be a good thing... but beware of it's downfalls too. GO GET EM GIRL !!!! Be sure to save some time for us too.

Sandy.... sorry I did not hunt you down. I was not here myself.
Life is full of disappoints.... but if we stop long enough to count our blessings... we usually see where we are sometimes super sensitive sometimes too. You HAVE TO KNOW by now... WE ALL LOVE YOU HERE !!!! and if we "seem" to ignore you sometimes... it is not because we don't love you... it is because we are all wrapped up in ourselves or our families or something.
Donna... I think I missed something somewhere.
I swear you told us your top weight was 370 in mid January ... now it says 395??? Your present weight is 314?? That is 85 lb loss in only 3 months !!! I thought the 70 lbs loss left me speechless.
Are you sure about these numbers ?? That is like 30lbs per month. I could see it the first month... but for 3 months ??? Do you worry you may be losing too fast?? I know WW says it is not wise to lose over 2-3 per week. You lose 7-8lbs per WEEK not month. And that is week after week after week. I am a little worried for you. I ask this out of concern.

I don't remember everyone elses replys. I am sorry.
I missed over an entire thread and it is just too time consuming to try and catch up.

OH YES...Mary... I am so happy for your brother. I know that will help his spirits. Don't work too hard at that library.

I will take enough time to say hello to everyone.... especially
DEON !!! I don't want to forget you my friend. LOL
Hi Tina, Michelle, Lucky. Baylee, J-ann, Duckie, Kat, Ravyn, Sara, Jen, Moongoddess, Steph... and anyone else I forgot this time.
Hopefully I will see your Tuesday Tips in the morning.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:54 AM   #4  

Hi everyone! I don't have alot of time. I am headed to bed completely exhausted. I forgot how busy an 18 month old is. Whew! She just kept me going all day long! My house is far from baby proof anymore. So I spent the day chasing after her and putting things away. So I just wanted to say welcome to all the newbies. And one of these days this week I will return and hopefully get a good long post in. But right now I am going to get some sleep to recooperate for tomorrow. Night all!!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:34 AM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! Just a quickie this morning since I was on so long last night. But I wanted to get here early for

Lucky: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LUCKY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! And Many More.....

Hope you have a wonderful day!!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 AM   #6  

Default Im here!!!

My dear chicks,

Wow, we sure are chatty with the long posts, but, I have to admit, I still hang on every word of every post.

Marion hi, and welcome to this thread, these ladies are some of the best you will ever meet. They have kept me on my feet and going strong. And yes, it's me that lives by the scale. I will fully admit it!! Isnt that one of the 12 steps? Admission to the guilt? . But, I try not to write about it so much anymore. So glad you found the thread.

Thin: Wow, you win the award this week for posting. That was a very very nice post. Keep up the good work and I liked the progress not perfection words, that was food for thought.

2cute: Good to see you back too, I did not mean to sound like no one cared...I was just joking.. I know you all care a lot. I find myself thinking of you all all of the time. I will be doing something and all the sudden I am like what would Donna, 2cute, tina, whoever do in this situation. My lovely cyber family.

Tina: I posted for you and you dissappeared? Where did you go? It's not Thursday yet. Are you primping for Tony?

Deon: yes 18 month olds, what a handful, always on the go...good luck and hope your neice has a successful pregnancy again, my prayers are with her.

Well I'm off to Walmart to play the wonderful Easter Bunny....hop hop hop...theres always something to buy, a holiday, a birthday, will it never end? I just get kinda nit picky this time of year cause money starts getting tight till July when hubby starts catching lots of lobsters and we start having some extra money again. Seems like this time of year there are no extras, even though this is the first year I have worked outside the home on a reg. schedule. You just get used tot he money and its all taken before its made. Oh well, such is life........this too shall pass.

Hugs to all,
Sandy
Old 04-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #7  

Okay I forgot to mention....................

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCKY!!!!

HAVE A MARVY KINDA DAY......
Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #8  

DAY 7 CHALLENGE: MET NO CHEAT AND MET EXERCISE CHALLENGE

OK, THIS NEXT PART I WISH EVERYONE WOULD READ, IT WOULD MAKE ME FEEL BETTER IF YOU DID!
When I first started posting, I couldn't weigh myself on the scales I had. I was a cheap skate and they wanted like $60 for a set of scales that would weigh up to 400 so I finally found a set of used scales to weigh me (should have known better) they were old and I didn't know how accurate, but went with its weight (after about 2 weeks on the program) at 370. It kept niggling at me that the scales might not be accurate so I weighed myself on a scale that could weigh me while I was on vacation. I was by this time, according to the scales, 330 and had been on the program 3 months. I came home and weighed myself on the old scales and they said 305. They were 25 lbs off. I have two sets of scales, one regular and one digital. The digital would always give me an E which meant I was above whatever its top weight was and I researched the model of the machine when I got back home from vacation and found that it's top weight was 330 so I had to have been above 330 this whole time. I did cry that I still weighed that much, but had to be honest and look at the truth. I had dh weigh himself on both sets and as he rarely gets on the scales at all there was never a red flag about the old set. Sure enough there was a 25lb difference (within a lb or 2). So I did some math and added 25lbs to my original weight as I felt I had been dishonest unintentionally, but dishonest about how much I really weighed. I had haranged about being brave and stating your weight to people and not be ashamed so I felt I couldn't pretend I weighed 370 when I didn't. (which by the way was really depressing!). I redid my weight on my posts and used 395 as my beginning weight, which is probably fairly accurate. Well, low and behold a week or so ago, just out of curiosity, I stepped on the digitals and they weighed me at I think 324. I have since weighed everyday only because I am frightened they are wrong too and made dh keep getting on the scales to make sure they aren't screwed up too! They have been consistent. As of this morning I weigh 312. Now to answer your question about losing too fast. There is no way I am doing ANYTHING unhealthy. I even upped my caloric level to 2000 after I got back from Indiana to be closer to the dietician level so that I wouldn't have problems and that is 400 calorie increase. I keep my fat cal between 20 and 25% so I am getting enough fat. My body is just rebelling against what I used to be taking in I guess which had to have been a frightening number of calories and fat. In fact, last night, I had 2 hamburgers because they were prepressed patties I bought at the commissary in the meat case, were 95% lean and when I weighed one, it was not 4 oz (which is the serving size I eat) so I made 2. I still stayed under my 2000 cal. Thank you so much 2cute for being concerned about me, but I am doing everything right. You know I am such an obsessed person and so I never miss my exercise either so that plays a big part in it too I guess. I was pretty sedentary before (except for housecleaning lol) and I really power walk the mall now. I hope that clears things a bit. I am sorry for any dishonesty about my weight, but I truly didn't do it intentionally. I know that I have to be honest about all aspects of losing weight even when I gain. I just haven't and to be honest I was shocked I hadn't while on vacation because I had to be taking in more fat calories eating out all the time.

FELICITATIONS AND MANY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAYS TO YOU LUCKY! HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY AND GET ALL THE PRESENTS YOU CAN CARRY!

Sandy: Oh my gosh, I was skimming the posts to go back and read each one thoroughly as I posted to you all and the first time around I thought you were actually playing the easter bunny at Walmarts and I thought, how cute is that and she has more courage than me to have that big ole cotton tail on her butt walking around!

Deon: You poor thing. They can wear you out. Whenever I have Thomas and he is almost 3, I am exhausted when he goes home. Could be the hide and seek or chasing him around the condo?

Baylee: How are you this AM?

Thin: Yo go get em girl and don't you back down for a second. I just wish we had people on the school board here that had guts. I am not going to go into it, but this school system is one of the top 5 worst in the COUNTRY!

Marion: Hope to see you post this morning and get up and going on a weight loss program of your choosing.

Tina: Miss you sweety! Hope you have fun in Nashville and for the race this weekend!

Well, ladies, I need to get up and going. I have done nothing this am.

Love you all, Donna
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #9  
Progress..not perfection

Default Awww, shoot.

I was hoping I'd be the first to wish my buddy Lucky a happy birthday. Oh well.....Thin beat me to it.

Happy Birthday Lucky!

We love you!
Old 04-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #10  
Dancing those pounds away

Talking Happy Birthday !!!

Happy Birthday Lucky !!!!!!!!!

I hope you have a wonderful day !!!! Do you have any special plans ???
I suggest you spoil yourself rotten.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 AM   #11  
Michigan Old-Timer

HaHa, Tina! You gotta get up before NOON to be the FIRST!!!!! :;
Old 04-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #12  
Progress..not perfection

Default Alright ladies....

pull up a chair, sit down and get comfortable. You may even want to get a snack....a low fat one, of course. First of all, I had a really crappy day yesterday. Not so much food wise...actually, that part was ok. I even did my two mile WATP. Anyways, several things went on yesterday, which I will not mention because they are too numerous to mention and my fingers will not accomodate.

So, here I'm sitting in the living room, watching tv or on the computer, I don't remember which. Trey, (my 10 yr. old) and Chris, his best friend, come in. Trey's face is red and he's been crying....still is and is to the point of snubbing, you know when you've cried so hard and you just can't seem to catch your breath? So I ask what in the world is going on? Chris proceeds to tell me that one of our neighbors (and I use the term in it's loosest form) yelled at Trey.

The neighbor in question is a new one. The moved in about 2 mos. ago. I'm not sure if they actually bought the house or are just renting it. I think they're just renting....that house has seen about 5 different families in the last 6 years. Anyways, since the moment they moved in, it's been like....well, there goes the neighborhood. They have two little girls that are into just everything. One is about four and the other one is 8 or 9, I believe. They are always playing in everyone else's yard even when the people are not home. It is commonplace for me to come home from work and find them sitting on my front porch or riding their bikes all over the grass in our front yard. They will even open up your front door and just walk right into your house. You know the type.....perfect heathens.

So, Trey and his friend have been followed around all day by these two girls and have not had a moments peace, so they decide they're gonna come up onto our carport and they tell the girls to leave them alone and go home. Well, the girls just won't have that! They insist they are not going home and start to ride their bikes up our driveway. Well, this is debated for several minutes and as the younger of the two decides she's going to start up our driveway, so Trey takes ahold of the handle bars and stands in front of her in hopes of preventing her from coming up the driveway any further. Well, she promptly starts screaming (which she does ALOT) and starts flailing around because she wants him to let go of her bike. In the midst of all this screaming and twisting and turning to get him to let go, she falls off the bike and skins her elbow and really starts screaming. Well, this prompts big sis to run inside and tell their Mom that the big boy slung her poor little sister off her bike and hurt her. Well, Miss Thang comes out, stands over Trey and starts screaming at him. He tells her that it was an accident and he wasn't trying to hurt her, he just wanted them to leave them alone. She says to him, "That's bull$hit and if she's hurt, it's your a$$!" Yup, that's right. "It's your a$$" Well, by the time I heard the whole story and knowing my son like I do and knowing that he wouldn't hurt a flea, especially a girl, I was livid. I mean, shaking with anger. At that point, I didn't even trust myself to be rational, so I looked over at dh, who's sitting there with this "duh" look on his face and I said, "Handle it." He said, "Just let it go." LET IT GO? Did he not just hear the same story I just heard? My child is in tears because he's just been cussed out and threatened and I'm supposed to let it go? I don't think so.

I looked out my front door and the mother was still outside. Without thinking, I stormed out my front door, down the steps, through the yard, into the culde-sac and to her driveway. I had just finished working out, so I had on workout pants, a sleeveless shirt, no shoes and my hair was still stuck to my sweaty forehead. I guess just by looking at me, she should have been scared. As I'm walking towards her, she sees me coming and knows why I'm coming. She immediately says, "He pushed her down." I said, "You have no business whatsoever cussing my son." She said, "Well she's hurt and her arm is bleeding." I said, "I understand what you've been told, but I have two people in my house that are telling me something completely different. I know my son, and he didn't intentionally hurt your little girl, he is NOT a bully. It was an accident, and you had no business cussing at him." She said, "Uh......" (at this point, she was shaking) and I cut her off and said, "And if it's anybody's a$$, it won't be his." Then gave her a pointed look to let her know what I was saying, without saying it and I turned and walked away. It actually went pretty good I guess, that is....until my older son, who was standing on the neighbors porch broke out into a chorus of "Go Mom.....Go Mom.....Go Mom!"

So I get back up to the porch and by this time, dh has actually found his balls from wherever they were hiding and I just tell him to get his a$$ in the house, that his wife had handled it.

Now, perhaps I didn't handle it the right way. I don't know. It's just that my motherly instinct kicked in and no one is gonna hurt my babies. I know what it's like to grow up in a house where you're not protected and it's horrible to never feel safe, even from your own family members. My kids will never know that fear. As long as I'm around, they will always have someone on their side.

Now, the amazing part about all of this, is that I confronted her. Yup, that's right. About two years ago, maybe even less, same scenario.....I probably would have let it go. Not that I would be afraid of being hurt physically or anything like that, it's a self image issue. I have always been the type of person to back down from confrontations. Well, let me re-word that. I have always bent over backwards for others or kept my head down to avoid conflict or even eye contact because of my own insecurities.

A co-worker once asked me, "Why don't you look me in the eye when you talk to me?" It's because just looking someone in the eye would make me nervous. Not because I was being dishonest with them, just because looking someone directly in the eye made me uncomfortable, because I was not confident enough in myself. That's why I have always avoided anything unpleasant because I didn't believe enough in me to state my opinions about anything, unless it's here with you guys or with dh or a family member.

But I've noticed here lately, that's changing. No, that doesn't mean I'm gonna yell at you if you look at me the wrong way. It just means that I have the same rights and priviledges as the next person, regardless of the number my scale says and no one has a right to run over me or anyone I love. So no, maybe the best way to handle the situation yesterday was not to confront her in the middle of the neighborhood, but this girl wasn't tucking her tail between her legs and running either.

And you know what I think? I think it's because of the weight I've lost. 346 lb. Tina would probably just went over and shut her door and tried to make her son feel better, but 270 lb. Tina would not settle for that. Losing the weight I have thus far, has not only made me a stronger person, in this case...it's made me a better Mom as well.

If that's not reason enough to keep it up, then what is?

Last edited by QueenB; 04-08-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:50 AM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Tina: You may not get up early, but when you do, you pack a powerful punch! You go, girl! And as far as husband's go...I think yours and mine are cloned in THAT department. We had a sitter once and she had a party while we were gone with the neighbors and when we got back and found out it was the neighbor who 'disposed' of the problem, not my honey. Some of 'em got 'em, and some of 'em don't. Guess yours and mine DON'T!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #14  
Progress..not perfection

Red face Listen here Miss Thin...

as long as I'm on a roll, I thought I would let you know that I got up at 5:50am this morning, the same time I get up every morning that I work. So, I just didn't get to take my turn on the computer till now.

I sure do with I could sleep in though....

I will be doing that the next four days however, because I'm off!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #15  

Talking G'day my lovely ladies,

First off, I'd like to announce that I slept in until noon today!

Secondly, I'm SO happy that so many of us here are starting to realize that obese women should enjoy the same respect as anyone! We don't need to back down with our tails between are legs because that is giving up our power. If WE believe in our own power, then so will others! So... way to go TINA!!!

Thirdly, HAPPY B-DAY LUCKY!!! HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!! I had it written on my calender so I wouldn't forget!... like I needed that reminder though with all these chickies right on the ball!

Mary: I didn't get a chance to say how happy I am for you and your brother! Sounds like he really needed that news!

What the heck happened to Michelle? Where is she? Michelle... hop online and let us know if you're okay! We miss you!

Okay ladies. Gotta scoot for now!

Sara
HW: 270
CW: 135
Closed Thread