Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/230/143

Height: 5'0

Default give me a healthier alternative to potato crisps!

My weakness is potato crisps/chips - serious serious weakness.. I know that i need to cut them out above everything else.. so was wondering what a healthier alternative IS to potato crisps/chips??
GabrielleEmersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I used to make my own at home with no oil. I sliced either a potato or a yam very thin and left the skin own. I placed them on a cookie sheet (sprayed it with nonstick calorie free spray). I then sprinkled with salt, paprika, garlic powder...whatever I liked....and baked until a little browned. It's delish!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #3  

Ditto. Slice thin, bake. I line the baking sheet with aluminum foil instead of using non-stick spray and the chips peel off.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #4  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

baby carrots in dip.

lower fat potato chips

just eating less potato chips?
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/235.8/140

Height: 5'5.5"

I eat pork rinds when I'm doing my low carb phase.
KathleanAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
just eating less potato chips?
Ha! If only!!! For me, once the bag is open, all bets are off. Even if I manage to put the chips away, I'll still eat more of other stuff. Best to just keep them away!

I second the carrots with dip - I make mine with fat free sour cream. I like Pirate's Booty too. It's sort of like a Cheeto. Apples sliced up thin give me the same feeling as eating potato chips. Chocolate Cheerios are good too.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #7  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Some foods are just so "more-ish" that I have to skip them entirely for right now or else I'll get started on them and not stop. Chips and snack crackers are the prime offenders. Unfortunately, some of the substitute foods I've tried only make me want the real thing. I'm left suffering through a craving worse than the one I was trying to assuage in the first place sometimes.

Finding lower-calorie, lower-fat alternatives is a good step, but you may also have success with "cold turkey"; that way you aren't going to be tasting something that's close enough to awaken a craving, but not close enough to satisfy it fully.

Everyone's tastes are different, though, and you might not have that reaction.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Potato chips are a binge trigger food for me. I even tried the low fat variety with Olestra but because they are a trigger food, I ate the whole bag. Not a good idea. Not a good idea the next day too!

I tried baked chips but they still triggered me. I tried baked Cheetos and that I can handle without getting triggered and the serving size is generous for 130 calories (4 WW points). Not exactly healthy alternative but it is calorie conscious. I have them every now and then to stop the thoughts of deprivation.

Otherwise, I second the baby carrots - fresh, cold, and crisp. Also sliced sweet bell peppers with hummus dip (the garlicky the better).

I've had home baked garlic pita chips with hummus, too.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #9  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen516 View Post
Ha! If only!!! For me, once the bag is open, all bets are off. Even if I manage to put the chips away, I'll still eat more of other stuff. Best to just keep them away!

I second the carrots with dip - I make mine with fat free sour cream. I like Pirate's Booty too. It's sort of like a Cheeto. Apples sliced up thin give me the same feeling as eating potato chips. Chocolate Cheerios are good too.
LOL, I understand, I love eating chips but rarely buy them. When I do, I buy the kids size lunch bags. Some of those are only 150 calories...although you have to watch out, because they are growing bigger and bigger. I got one of cheetos the other day that I thought was a small bag, and it was a super big grab sized "individual" bag according to the package. Who gives those to their kids? Hahaha, probably noone, but really?

Popcorn is another good alternative because it's salty and crunchy, although I am not sure it's as popular in NZ as it is here. I make it myself on the stove, but you can also buy an air popper or make it in the microwave by putting a few tablespoons of popcorn kernals in a paper lunch bag, folding it up and microwaving it for a few mins.

Pretzels are crunchy and salty and fat free, but usually almost as many calories as crisps. Lower fat though.

Last edited by Wildflower; 01-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

* Baked chips in those small packets they sell at Quiznos.

* Rice crisps.

* Puffed rice/soy crisps.

I know it's silly, but the rice and puffed rice crisps work better for me because they are perfectly round and therefore easy to count out beforehand, unlike regular chips that are all different sizes and broken, and it's hard to count them out. And if you're anything like me, I start taking two small chips and thinking - is this equal to one big chip?, etc., and I end up taking way more than I should!!

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/159/140

Height: 5ft 3in

I like popchips. they're a better alternative
rengetsfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #12  

I agree with popcorn as a super low cal, very inexpensive, crunchy munchy that can also be flavored. I like eating raw carrot or grape tomatoes alongside so I get in more veg and bulk- even a mini meal with the addition of a piece of string cheese
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Kale chips. I can't find my recipe, but it I found it on Google, and it is here somewhere too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

If I am not mistaken, I believe the OP was referring to what we Americans call "french fries". Some other countries call them "crisps". I hope I am correct. Seems like the thread got steered toward what we call "potato chips".

Yes, baking them is an alternative.....or eating a half order instead of a full order??
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
If I am not mistaken, I believe the OP was referring to what we Americans call "french fries". Some other countries call them "crisps". I hope I am correct. Seems like the thread got steered toward what we call "potato chips".

Yes, baking them is an alternative.....or eating a half order instead of a full order??
Ah, that makes sense!

I echo the baked fries/crisps idea. I love them like that. Thick sliced, tossed in a little olive oil and some spices, bake at 425 until desired tenderness. Lining the pan with aluminum foil helps with the sticking and the crisping. Thin slices cook faster, but they are good, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote