Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

Default work out at home or the gym?

I joined the gym before. I loved it, but it does get boring doinhg the same thing. At home though I feel lazier and less motivated, but it's more private and a lot cheaper. This time around I am going to switch things around now that I realized I need to change things to stay motivated. Even though I still like the gym. What do you guys prefer? Privacy of your home or the social environment of the gym?
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #2  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

I enjoy both, but right now I'm loving the convenience of my home gym.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I have a full set of weights (up to 2x60 lb dumbells), gym-quality weight bench, and pull-up / dip station at home, along with a swiss ball and other toys. I never use them, because I'd far rather go to the gym. I just can't get motivated to work out at home. It helps that my gym membership is free with my health care plan, and it's a 10 minute walk from both my office and my house.

Fortunately, DH is the opposite, so *someone* uses the home gym.

YMMV, obviously. Introductory "teaser" offers abound at commercial gyms this time of year, so if you're going to take the plunge again, it's a good time!

// b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Privacy of my home gym..definitely. I find gyms to be too "social" for my taste. I love working out in my thermal undies, sweating (yes, pit stains too..lol), and grunting (grrrrrhhh) in the privacy of my own home.

Oh and motivation is not a problem for me...I have the mirror for motivation..lol!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm a germ-o-phobe, so I'd rather use my own stuff than stuff that's been touched by who knows how many people - lol !!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

The gym can be motivating because you're paying x amount to work out and want to get the most of it. I'm not a social person so the social factor I could care less about, but I like the tread mill. If I had a house of my own and plenty of space, I would work on my own work out room. Big dreams, but so far away. I think I am going to use my steps dvds and walking as my cardio so I won't get bored
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I actually use both, and really enjoy them both equally. It depends on how I feel for the day.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #8  
~Kim~

I definitely like working out at home. I'm not comfortable in the gym. I know that everyone else isn't watching me and judging, but it's still an irrational thought I have if I'm working out in one. Since I feel that way in the gym I hold back from doing certain things. At home I feel completely free to do whatever I want. I can wear tighter stuff instead of the baggy things I wear to the gym. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing zumba in a gym, but I love doing it in my living room. I have a total gym so I can get strength in.

Who knows, as my fitness evolves my feelings about working out in a gym might change, but for now, at my size I'm definitely more comfortable working out at home. =)
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

I guess this is along the lines of what motivates you. If you have the funds, and you don't mind traveling, and having to have a bag ready to go and to make sure you take out your used towels and remember to bring your water bottle and sweat bands and journal and pen to write down what you need then the gym is fine.

if you prefer to have it all right in the comfort of your own home which no one else has touched from their germs of coming out with their cold or after a man has gone to the bathroom and not washed his hands, I prefer home.

I know what I have. Where I put it. How to use it and I get to do it when I feel like it at the time I feel like it without worry that I'm losing money.

Home for me. My health is my motivation not hearing people grunt and throw plates on the mat or not get up or not put them back or walk around with butt crack breast cleavage. I can't take that .. I'm home.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Gym for me.

I started with water aerobics class. My joints thanked me for not overstressing them in the beginning. I can't afford to have a pool at the house. I made casual friends in the class and that led to accountability and repeatability. We keep each other committed to going. A couple of them go to the same church as I so we have an additional dimension of connection but don't do much other than lunch once or twice a year when the planets align correctly.

I have had benches and barbells and dumbbells, etc but I always seemed to fall back on the "I'll do it later" excuse. I've had treadmills and ellipticals - same thing. I have DVDs too but I don't have a good place to do them. My pets like to get in on the action and distract and disturb my concentration.

I'll admit it was hard to go that first time to add in weight lifting and then bike intervals but it was all in my head. I can recognize the regulars for that time of day and we greet each other. Nothing overly social - just a pleasant good morning and maybe a brief comment about the weather. Maybe its the early hour that I go but I never see anyone flirting and carrying on. Pretty much everyone uses their iPods or MP3's. There are a couple of older busybodies (male and female) but I try not to make eye contact.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #11  

Both for me. I need the variety and the gym has a lap pool. With ankle/knee/foot issues, I need to be able to swim or water walk some of the time. I also really enjoy my Group Active class.

But I do exercise at home some too. I have a Nordic Track skier here and I sometimes use an exercise video, or my TRX trainer. But yeah, pets can definitely add some distraction! My cats are always way too curious when I start to work out!

I still remember one day when I was on the Nordic Track, and one of the cats decided to leap on the bookshelves behind me and send some photos crashing to the floor. Had to stop briefly, to ascertain whether there was any broken glass to threaten their paws. Fortunately not, and I resumed my workout, but it sure didn't do my heart any good to hear that crash, LOL!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #12  

I almost honked my dog n the head today while doing floor execs with the weight over head and you bend at elbows, week.. Almost concussion city for her
Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #13  

I do miss being pushed. I had been pushed to max before and it hurt but it was good. I don't know why I stop when I do when I can instead of jamming it more into the weight.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

There is nothing wrong with your question (What do you guys prefer?) but our answers should have little bearing on your decision. The important part is what works for YOU.
I agree with everybody that working out at home can be, sometimes, less motivational or it's easier to get sidetracked by cooking, cleaning or other challenges "du jour".
I like both. There are some classes that I enjoy at the gym (Zumba, yoga, spinning). Ok, correction. I HATE spinning but it's a good cardio for somebody with plantar fasciitis like me. Zumba - oh my god, that is just pure fun. Yoga - we have a good instructor, he changes the routine each class, I could never do that at home.
But, there are days when I don't have time to go to the gym or it is more efficient do exercise at home (while the laundry is churning, something is simmering on the stove, etc.). I have some good DVD's that combine cardio with weights (approx. 40 minutes) so that works perfectly.

You will have to find out what works for you. It takes a lot more discipline (IMHO) to work out as hard at home as you would at the gym. Like I said, I find the combo of both optimal but it's very personal decision.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #15  

True that Tomatoe