Old 02-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #1  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Fireside white bean and sausage soup (phase 1)

Fireside White Bean and Sausage Soup

3/4 pound turkey sausage links, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
2 cups of chopped yellow onion
1 16-ounce can of chicken broth
1/4 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 16-ounce cans butter beans, well rinsed and drained

Place a dutch oven, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, add sausage, and cook until just beginning to brown. Add onion and cook for 6-8 minutes or until transparent. Add broth, water, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne, scraping bottom and sides. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to a very low simmer, and cook for 4 minutes longer, uncovered. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve.

Serves 4
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I would think that any kind of beans, especially white ones, would work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Butter Beans and Great Northern Beans are pretty closely related. Cannelinis are smaller, but still white and so mild in taste.

This sounds delicious, but I'm wondering how to add more veggies to it. Maybe some greens and zucchini?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

Butter beans are Lima beans, and are not (IMO) very similar to navy, canellini, or Great Northern beans. They are related to kidney beans, but they are a fresh shelling bean, not a drying bean. I would think any white or fresh shelling bean would be good with turkey/chicken, although I would possibly use a stronger tasting bean with a stronger meat, like beef. However, cassoulet is made with flageolets (similar to lima beans) and usually has duck/goose and lamb, so the lighter beans obviously can taste fine with stronger meats.

Hope this helps! I'm thinking of trying this tonight, as it's turned chilly. It reminds me of one of our favorite pre-SBD soups.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I made this yesterday for supper, and OMG! It's delicious! THANK YOU for posting the recipe!
I used extra-lean turkey sausage breakfast links, just cut them up. I also added a 28oz. can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Next time I will add some greens to it, such as escarole or spinach, etc., just to have more veggies in it. But this soup is excellent just as the recipe goes, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #5  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

OMG...This soup is awesome! I've made it twice in the last week. The first time I used mild Italian poultry sausage and added zucchini and a little FF H&H. The second time I used hot Italian poultry sausage and added zucchini, spinach, more stock, and a little FF H&H. The second batch I made for non-SBDers and they LOVED it! Thank you!
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #6  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

I made this soup for lunch. Delicious. Since I made a huge batch, I grilled and sliced the sausage and will add to soup as we go along. I just don't know if I want the sausage to be in the soup for more than a couple of days.
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i lived off this stuff when i was on the south beach diet and i loved it. i always used ground turkey and seasoned it w/ italian seasoning- otherwise made it as is and it was so good!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
I made this yesterday for supper, and OMG! It's delicious! THANK YOU for posting the recipe!
I used extra-lean turkey sausage breakfast links, just cut them up. I also added a 28oz. can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Next time I will add some greens to it, such as escarole or spinach, etc., just to have more veggies in it. But this soup is excellent just as the recipe goes, too.
I think I will try this tonight...how much spinach would you add? I would like to add more veggies as well???
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by litar View Post
I think I will try this tonight...how much spinach would you add? I would like to add more veggies as well???
I add an entire bag of fresh or frozen spinach. You can add as much vegetables of any kind that you want. This soup is very versatile.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #10  

Ok that sounds great!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #11  

Just had a bowl of this for supper...YUM!!! I did add in a bag of fresh spinach!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I added spinach and fire roasted tomatoes. It was a huge hit at home and at the meeting.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 5"

One word: YUMMY!
Beth19 is offline   Reply With Quote