Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225.6/215.2/150

Height: 5'4

Default Starting Over (AGAIN) - To weigh or not to weigh? That is the question.

I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years, and yet again I find myself at one of my heaviest points...I can tell from my pant size and how I feel moving through space. Tomorrow is going to be my day one (I am ready, have a plan in place, have done my shopping, and am all psyched to start)...however, I am afraid of stepping on that scale to get my day one weight. I don't know if I really want to know that number or not. I have been in denial for the past few months and that will end when I am hit by the actual reality of the number on the scale. I suppose that would be a good thing. I'm just scared. I've been down this road so many times. What is going to make this time different? Well, I'm off for a walk and I'll be thinking "to weigh or not to weigh"...that is my big question.
What did others do?
Chippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

When I felt scared to know what I weighed but felt I wanted a starting weight so I could track some progress I weighed in kg. I am not well enough versed in kg to know what's what, but was able to say I lost 1 kg, 0.5 kg. Only months later did I allow myself to that calculator to find out how much it was in lbs.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Weigh.
Face it. Own it. Move forward.

Make tonight Night One. Start now. And never see that number again.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I love Roserodent's solution - very elegant. However, I'm with seagirl on this - face it, own it, move forward. Part of this journey for me is to stop lying to myself (i'll only have one handful of chips), stop making deals with myself (I can have that candy bar now because...), stop pretending (i may be fat but i'm not *that* fat!) so owning the reality of the scale was a very important part of the whole thing.

Plus, when you have lost a bunch of weight it's great to know just how much. Believe me - you'll really want to won every 5 pound milestone and how can you do that without knowing where you started (even if it's in kg).
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #5  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

^Well put! I totally agree. I was nervous and put off going to WW to get weighed in the first time. It was nerve racking because I was afraid to see the scale. Now I look forward to weighing in (for the most part), because you can see how much your hard work or not so hard work pays off.

I'd also tell you to measure yourself. Inches lost is also a great indicator over the scale if you don't see the scale move. If you exercise you will certainly see a drop in inches.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your advice. I took a deep breath and stepped on the scale this morning. Hopefully this is the very LAST time I will see that number. I know that I will be happy that I did it once the weight starts coming off so that I can know how far I have come.
It is hard to dust myself off and start again, but I have no other options and I really do want to grow into the vision I have for myself and my life. I mean 'skrink' into it.
I also liked the idea of weighing in kgs - good idea...but I went for the lbs version. Might as well face the music
Thanks everyone, and I will be certainly leaning on some folks on this forum to help with those tough patches and will try to help others as well along the way.
Oh yes, now I have to go and fix my start weight so that it is more accurate fo where I am now...

Last edited by Chippie; 01-03-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 01-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #7  

OK - now my numbers are right. Looking forward to updating them next week
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #8  

Well, it is the end of the day and I have made it through without bingeing. I have eaten healthy and have been drinking my water. So, the first hurdle is over - Day One completed...now for the second hardest part of weight loss...Day Two I truly think I am going to have to take this one day at a time and one meal and craving at a time.
It is good to know that I am not alone in my struggles.
Have a good night all and I'll be checking in again tomorrow.
Chippie isn't having any chips tonight!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

I weighed on Jan 1st. I don't think I want to get caught up on the scale though, so I'm thinking of never weighing myself more than once a month. I tend to get caught up on the numbers if I do it more often.

I'm definitely going to measure body parts too, maybe once every 90 days. I did that eons ago, and it always gave me a great feeling to see those numbers go down.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #10  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

I hear ya... I was feeling the same way when I weighed myself again. After I finally bought a new scale...
I actually didn't buy a scale because I was afraid of the number. I thought to myself "I can just see how my clothes feel and when it feels better, then I will buy scale." But that just wasn't going anywhere...So I did it and now I'm more motivated for sure! I'm glad you did it.
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #11  

I weighed in today and to my surprise I was down 10.4 lbs. This is my first week, so I won't get used to this kind of result, but I am very pleased. I think it helped that my starting day I happened to be on my TOM which added some water weight...I don't care, it certainly helped give me a kick start and some extra motivatin to keep going! Thanks all!
Chippie