General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Job interview at Neiman Marcus on Monday!

I've been out of work for three years. My last job was as a Substitute Teacher. How do I explain the gap in my resume? I went out to California to escape my parents, lol? I have retatil experience of eight months though so does that even things out? Should I be honest and tell them that I'd only like to work monring-afternoon and should I mention that I'm due to start volunteering once a week so I need a weekday off? I'm excited about this opportunity!

Last edited by BellaLucia; 01-01-2011 at 08:00 PM.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Congratulations and good luck!

IMHO - if you want the job - you don't give limitations. For us, if someone says only certain days, or certain times, they fall down on our "want list". Would you give up that job to volunteer one day a week, or just change the day (or drop the volunteering)?

As far as the job gap goes, others may have great advice. I would think in this economy, there's many that just say "can't find a job".

Good luck Okie!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #3  

I'd rather have the job than volunteer, which I can always do. Thanks TwynnB!
Old 01-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Twynn...I wouldn't tell them you want certain days off or only want to work mornings. I would take what they offer and be flexible. Maybe once you've been there a while you might consider discussing certain days off for you to volunteer. As far as the gap in employment, like Twynn said, with the economy being crazy, you could just say you have been "actively looking but with the economy it's been very difficult." Good luck!!!!!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #5  

Thanks for your advice Little LLH!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I think I might dress up the period you weren't working rather than saying you were looking for work. If you volunteered during that period, and/or took classes, and/or relocated for a period of time due to family circumstances (you don't have to get too detailed). I'd bring up the volunteer intentions as a side thing, saying your planning on working it into your schedule and are excited about it. Is a good topic for a job interview. Good luck!!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #7  

Thanks dragonwoman64 for the advice!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 213/204/140

The most important thing about a job interview are first impressions. If you have a suit, wear it. Firm handshake. Make eye contact. Be confident. Sell yourself! And don't lie, be honest, and if you need clarification, ask.

It's tough out there, and I was recently passed up for a job simply because the interviewer felt I didn't answer a couple of questions the way she wanted. So I fought because they said I could do the job but I needed more experience, so I negotiated and I might be interviewing a second time.

Good luck!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #9  
I'm Present right now!

S/C/G: 297

Now that's what I'm talking about! I too am "selling" myself. I had my first teaching interview and was ill-prepared. I've gone on another interview and felt assured and surprisingly free of anxiety. I feel that I can improvise better now having got my feet wet.

My goal is to become familiar with the "tell us about yourself and several other key elements regarding my profession.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
MsFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 390/ticker/220

Height: 6'2"

Best of luck to you! As an interviewer, I find that a person's personality, especially their confidence, is sometimes more important than their resume. Definitely do not be ashamed of where you have been...focus on your goals and what you are doing to meet these goals. Also, let them know what you can do to be an asset to their company/organization and the skills you possess that make you a must hire (i.e. flexibility and problem solving abilities). It's good to think of examples of events/situations where you have demonstrated these abilities...this can help you to sound well-spoken. Keeping my fingers crossed for you
lolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 390/ticker/220

Height: 6'2"

MsFlair,
I conduct teacher interviews, if you ever have any questions

Last edited by lolas; 01-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
lolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #12  

Thanks for the advice everyone and good luck to us all!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 213/204/140

Another thing.... Make sure you research the company and integrate it into your interview. If they ask you why you want to work at neiman Marcus, you should say something like how long it's been around, earnings, corporate culture, etc and that will really impress the interviewer. Dont just say something like you think it'd be a fun place to work and you like the products they sell. Go into the company itself. You can also research policies they implemented and how you thought that was progressive of them (for example, at nordstrom, their return policy and how you can return anything with tags and the sticker receipt, no day limit, etc. See if neiman's has anything like that and mention it.) they want to know you care and are invested in working there and won't just be another employee. You need to set yourself apart and most people don't do in-depth research.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote