Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default January Running!!!

Good morning everyone and happy New Years Eve! So I know I'm early, but I so wanted to start this month'ss thread for many reasons. The obvious ones, it's a new month, a new year and because I've never gotten to start the running thread!

But more because this month's thread is pretty special to me. January 2011 marks the one year anniversary of when I started running seriously. I'd run in high school as a source of exercise and a little bit in the begining of my weight loss journey. But last January, I had hit the preverbal plateau of losing the weight for the second time and decided that it was time to start doing something about it. So, like many of you, I started running. It was tough at at first. 5 mins was difficult, but within a month or so I could do a mile. By April I was up to 3 miles and I was addicted. I never expected to fall in love with running the way I did and by July I was at my "goal" and ready for a bigger challenge, so I signed up for a half marathon and officially started calling myself a running. The training was a challenge but so rewarding and in November I ran my first half marathon.

Today, I'm still logging in the miles, about 20-25 a week, and I'm 10 lbs past my goal putting me at about 50 lbs lost in a year and a total loss of 130 lbs in the last 4 years.

I've got some big plans for 2011, I'm registered for my next half in August and will likely do one next New Years Eve as well. I'm setting a goal for myself of 1000 miles in 2011, but with my training for the halves I'm hoping to beat that. The big picture is the LA Marathon in 2012, but mentally I'm having a really difficult time imagining running 26.2, so I'm not committing to anything on that front yet.

So what are your goals for the new year and the new month?

Happy running in 2011!

Last edited by ncuneo; 12-31-2010 at 11:24 AM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

My goals for tomorrow are the same as they were yesterday and today..haha! That is, to continue running and incorporating weight training (so far...so good), and increasing my pull ups (up to 3..woot!)....and of course, to get down to my goal weight of 150 lbs @14%bf!

My running goals are simply to be able to run 5 miles. I will not ever run more than this because I would like to be able to walk when I'm 65 yrs old...without the help of a walker..lol! But 5 miles is my ultimate goal. Right now...I'm up to 4.3 miles @5.0mph. Speed is a "non-issue" for me as I do not have hopes of entering into the olympics, nor am I interested in running publicly held races (at least, right now..that is).

My goals (as always) are to keep listening to my body...and to take it places when and where it will allow me to go! Living each day as if it were my last...as tomorrow is not promised to me (not even if it's a new year or an old year...)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-31-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm going to join in this thread because I need some serious accountability this month. See, I'm involved in this wellness competition at work that has a pretty badass vacation as the top 3 prizes. We get points for all kinds of things, one of the big ones being meeting 2 goals that we set for ourselves in November. Enter running.

One of my goals is to run/jog a full mile without stopping/walking, and I'm way behind schedule. I have to meet my goal by the last Friday of this month. When I tried a 5 min run Monday, I really thought I was going to throw up. So I can't even run half a mile right now and I need to complete a full before the month is out. I think I need to reduce my pace. I don't feel like I'm running that fast (I bumped my usual 5.5 down to 5.2/5.1 for the 5 min run). I did do a 3 min 5.5mph run before the 5 min (C25K wk 4). Maybe I should slow down my warm up run too. I think I may try to run outside today. The weather is nice and perhaps that will help me set my pace more naturally.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 12-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

Hi Ncuneo, I too started in 2010 getting serious about running. I am happy to say that I trained for my first 5k from August to October and completed the 5k without walking. I am currently up to 3.5 miles at 5.2 - 5.2 miles per hour. My goal for 2011 running is for the first six months is to get up to 4.1 miles for the April Pat Tillman Run and possibly by year end do a 10k run. My ultimate goal is a 1/2 marathon but I'm working at it a little more gradiually.

Good luck to you all for 2011 !
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
I will not ever run more than this because I would like to be able to walk when I'm 65 yrs old...without the help of a walker..lol!
I too worry about this, but I've read the running helps build bones and prevent ostoperosis. Athough there's no denying that many runners have a lot of issues as they age. Here's hoping I'm not one of them
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I too worry about this, but I've read the running helps build bones and prevent ostoperosis. Athough there's no denying that many runners have a lot of issues as they age. Here's hoping I'm not one of them
Osteoarthritis (which causes cartilage loss), can be caused by overuse of joints. Frequent long distance running is known to cause the dreaded "stress fracture". Medically speaking, the "jury is out" on whether marathon/long distance running in itself causes the disease, however, it makes sense to me that the constant pounding, wear and tear of this thin sheet of cartilage in your knee over many years may potentially stand a good chance of wearing out. If I err...I'll do it on the safe side.

Anyways...my journey is about learning "moderation". I've always been an ALL or NOTHING person and I'm trying to change that. Besides, I'm too old (43) to become an olympic champion...LOL!. Being fit and looking fab is more than sufficient for me.

P.S. - I also know way too many family members and friends who are suffering with this cartilage issue...so I'm not taking any chances!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-31-2010 at 04:27 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/138.4/130

Hello there, hope its ok if i join up too.

I'm just now getting back to the gym, and I used to consider myself a runner...I miss that a lot. I've done a handful of halfs, and my last race was Thanksgiving 09 (10k. I started the rapid gain about a month later.) I ran a few times over the summer, when I made the first attempt to lose what i gained this year, but that fell by the wayside when I backslide.

Anyhow, I just started back at the gym yesterday. I am not able to run much, and for now I do 2 min walking and run/jog for 2 mins for about 30 mins and want to add in additional cardio. I would really like to be up to being able to make it 2 miles by the end of the month. Starting super small, but gotta start somewhere. It was really hard to swallow how hard it was, and how slow I am now (i used to, while i was not something special or that fast, but pretty decentish. that and running this heavy is just so much harder of course)

I'd like to enter something possibly come April. Seems plausible.

And ncuneo- wow congrats on such achievements!
dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #8  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone! I just started running... When I first started I could barely do 30 seconds.. now I'm up to a minute. I'm going to keep pushing myself and keep going! I want to be able to run a 5k this year.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #9  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Thanks for starting off the new running thread!

Awesome accomplishments ncuneo

For the month of January my plans are to increase my miles by about 10% or so a week. I'm starting the month by running a 4 mile race tomorrow in Salem, MA. The weather is going to be mild and temperatures might actually be close to 50, very nice running weather. I was afraid it would be super cold and snowy.

My long term goal for this year is actually to run a marathon. I know that seems outrageous and daunting considering the fact that the longest distance I'd run is only a 10k and a marathon is over 4 times that amount

I'm thinking of the Chicago Marathon in October. Registration for that opens on April 1st. I have friends in the Chicago area. Another possibility for me for a fall marathon is the "Steamtown" marathon in PA. I also know someone from the area that I could stay with.

At this point I'm not sure I want to be a marathon runner as much as I want to just complete one.

EDIT: Welcome to the new posters on this thread!

Last edited by matt_H; 12-31-2010 at 10:05 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #10  
In the desert...

I'd like to join in too. I've been a recreational runner for a while but had to stop when I had pretty severe knee pain. Five weeks ago, I had a torn meniscus repaired through surgery and I'm currently rehabbing that with physical therapy, which is going well so far. Both my surgeon and my therapist say there is no reason I can't get back to running as long as I start slowly and build up gradually - sound advice for anyone starting, of course. My knee injury was most likely not caused by running but by my pelvis being misaligned (it tips forwards and up on the right side) which in turn pulled my leg out of alignment and caused my kneecap to rub on my cartilage. I'm now working on stretching and strengthening the supporting muscles and tendons in my legs to help alleviate the misalignment.

I also just got new running shoes. I've always worn stability shoes, having been told by a number of "specialty" running store employees that I over-pronate. The store I went to this week puts you on a treadmill and videos you running - they play it back at slow speed and you can see if you do indeed pronate. I don't - my stride is almost perfectly neutral, which was news to me! So I bought a pair of Brooks neutral shoes and the difference in my running gait is pretty amazing. I'm only running very short intervals right now (30 seconds) as I'm still rehabbing the knee but I can tell the difference already. I'm hoping to run a 5k in late February, then complete a couple more of them in the spring, a 10k in late spring, and a half marathon (if the knee holds up!) in late 2011.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #11  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

Height: 5'5

I am also going to join this running thread! My goal is to run 30 miles this month!!! So excited. I start week 6 on the C25K this week, so that should help get my mileage up! I run my first 5k on March 12, 2011
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

So my outside attempt at c25k week 4 went a lot better (and A LOT slower). I can't wait for the days to get longer again. I run on the treadmill because it's dark after work and my neighborhood isn't so great. For now, I guess I just need to dial that speed way down.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Not running yet - currently I do some light jogging on my treadmill and walk 6 miles every few days. However several months ago I was walking 8 miles and running in bits and pieces of that... I think about 2 minutes then walk for 5.

Gonna try and reclaim that. At some point you just can't walk everything because it takes up too much time! Fortunately I have a long stride and can walk a mile in 15 minutes.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #14  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

WHOOHOOO! It looks like there are lots of great enthusiastic people joining the thread. Welcome Darway, jogging 2 and then walking 5 definately counts as running. Keep it up and soon you will be jogging 5 and walking 2 and then going longer and longer without needing to walk.

Today I finished the "Wicked Frosty Four" race in Salem, MA. My time was just about 45 minutes.

This week ends my most mileage ever. I've run 4 times this week for a total of 17 miles! Maybe next week I'll shoot for running 20 miles with a long run of 6 or 7.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #15  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Totally digging all the Newbies! Welcome!

1-1-11 @ 11:11 I adventured on an 11 mile run. about mile 3.5-5.5 I was in horrible running conditions at the lake with horrible wind/rain and ran a terrible slow pace with the head down, but after the pier's I was in the clear! It was my first ever New Years Day Run, as I my one year running anniversary approaches January 17th! I though back about how I couldnt even run for 2 minutes and today I easily ran for about 2 hours! 1:58 minutes for a pace of 10:48, It's my longest run since October and really wanted to start the new year off right! I start Hal Higdons Intermidiate 1 Marathon Training schedule on Monday! My first Marathon is in May! I have a ten mile race in early May and 2 1/2 Marathons planned. Hope to run my first sub 25 min 5k this year, these are my goals! We are totally capable of anything when we really set out to achieve! Good Luck Runners with all your goals!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote