Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/132/120

Height: 5'2

Default need some advice please

So I'm 30 years old and have been over weight my whole life. In the past year and a half I've lost 83 pounds. When I was overweight I never really noticed, but now I've lost 6 pants sizes all I see if fat when I look in the mirror. If I eat anything remotely bad for myself I beat myself up. I'm just looking for some sugestions on how to deal with weight loss. I never could have imagined that loosing weight could possibly make me feel bad about myself. Has anyone experienced this?
alicat580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on a great loss. Can't say losing weight made me feel bad about myself. Exactly the opposite, I feel better, look better and most importantly have improved my overall health.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat580 View Post
So I'm 30 years old and have been over weight my whole life. In the past year and a half I've lost 83 pounds. When I was overweight I never really noticed, but now I've lost 6 pants sizes all I see if fat when I look in the mirror. If I eat anything remotely bad for myself I beat myself up. I'm just looking for some sugestions on how to deal with weight loss. I never could have imagined that loosing weight could possibly make me feel bad about myself. Has anyone experienced this?
First congrats on 83 pounds gone. That is awesome work!!

2nd, I think we are kinderd spirits. I have lost about 90, and often feel the same way you do. When I look in the mirror, I feel like I'm still 278. I know I'm not, but I just feel that way something when I look in the mirror. When I do eat things that are not on plan, I beat myself up for it, and overall feel bad.

In 2011, I will get this under control, my thinking is keeping me back, I think. I do know I have more to lose, and will accomplish that in 2011.

Hang in there. And again, congrats, you're doing awesome!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #4  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Congrats on all the work you have put in to achieve that loss, stunning

It sounds like you may have some degree of body dysmorphic disorder. I certainly am not a doctor and dont at all mean to sound critical, but when someone who is a healthy weight sees themselves as fat (or generally cant see themselves clearly physically), it sets off alarm signals in my head.

It isnt so uncommon for this to happen. Focusing on our bodies to such an extreme degree, as is perfectly understandable during the process of weight loss, can cause us to become so hyperfocused that we cant see our body clearly and appreciate the loss...and also feel too critical when we eat slightly imperfectly.

If you can, I strongly urge you to see you primary care physical or a mental health professional to discuss honestly your feelings. If you cant/wont, I would at least suggest you try to involve yourself in something like yoga or team sports, where the emphasis is more on the whole body/mind connection and/or the beautiful power of your body to perform.

*hugs*
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/150/125

Height: 5'5"

hi there, i don't know about disorders so much because i'm not a clinical person, but i am a health coach and what i try to do is help people figure out why they wanted to do this in the first place, beyond losing pounds and looking good. you are very brave to acknowledge that mindset is very important. the fact that you recognize what's going on and asking for help is a great first step that a lot of people never reach.

what does reaching your goal weight mean to you? what does your life look like, how do you feel at that weight, what are you doing? paint a vivid picture of your life and don't apologize for wanting it.

i believe that the "thin" person is always inside of us, trying to get out and really live. you deserve your new body because it's not really new, it's already there.

your daily choices are important, but feeling guilty is counterproductive, as you know. this is a daily journey that is not a straight line and has no definite end in sight - and that's both reassuring and annoying, but it's what makes life interesting. if we had it all figured out, there would be no point to living.
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

First off alicat580 congrats on an amazing weight loss!

I think alot of times we think that by losing weight we will change who we are but we don't, we are the same person inside whether we weigh 250 or
125. Also that our life is going to be somehow so much better than before.

I agree with xty, focusing on your body during the weight loss process is definitely a factor. At my highest weight I ignored my body, I didn't see myself as fat. When I lost a large amount of weight 6 years ago I didn't see myself as skinny, I just saw flaws and flab. Knowing that I have a tendency to do that I have been very careful to avoid negative thinking this time around.

Good luck and stay positive!
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote