South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

Question Where to start? How should I proceed w/ SB?

Hello! My name is Jessyka and I'm a newbie to 3FC. I love the idea of the SBD and think it's just plain common sense! I've tried parts of the SBD before...like making certain recipes for breakfast and desert but not really fully taking it on (see reasons in the paragraph below). I stopped after a few weeks b/c breakfast became monotonous and blah. I also counted my calories for a couple months using My Fitness Pal but I just couldn't stick with it...it became annoying to have to track every little last thing I ate. I prefer the flexibility of having certain food categories to choose from instead of being nit picky about numbers.

I currently live with my parents and it's hard to have completely separate food plans/stashes in the house. My mum is diabetic but she follows no rules eats white bread, potato chips, soda all the time and cooks everything from a box. This is partially due to her working all day and my dad not contributing at all to the dinners or clean up or anything and my mum is tired so that's why everything comes from a box BUT I can't live like that. I get so mad at her for buying those horrible foods - but it *obviously* doesn't get anywhere. I don't have a job right now that brings in the money (I'm a student) and I don't know where to start with the SBD.

I try to eat whole wheat bread (but try to avoid bread/pasta/etc in general), lean cuisines (I eat it for dinner at my evening class), limit soda (couple a week), fruit (now that cuties are back in season). I'm guilty of craving sweets, constant snacking (like cheese or cuties), and dipping things in sauces (fish w/ tartar sauce, chicken nuggets w/ bbq sauce, you get the idea, lol!). I'm going to try Dr. Oz's fat blasting smoothie that incorporates flax, chia, physillium, and wheat germ...I have to wait until my mom buys me the Ninja Master Prep Pro soon to put everything together though. And yes I know the SBD phase 1 I can't have certain things like fruit/sugar/etc. But one can take baby steps to ease them slowly into phase 1 right?

What kinds of foods should I attempt to stock up on for myself in the house? I have a habit of snacking and trying not to eat large meals...except when we go out to eat and sometimes at home If anyone has any advice, tips or tricks, questions, or advice I would really appreciate it, thanks!!!

Last edited by GiggleGoddess; 12-27-2010 at 03:16 AM.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, GiggleGoddess!

We highly recommend that you read the book before beginning this plan. It is essential to understand the fundamentals behind this way of eating and why you should avoid certain foods. Most libraries will have the book if you prefer not to buy it.
Phase 1 is pretty strict and limited and it's important to follow it to the rule, as it's a detoxing phase to help rid your body of cravings and pave the way for transitioning to Phase 2. It's only for 2 weeks, though, and you'll be delighted at the changes you'll discover in just a few days.
This will also be a good plan for your mother to follow, as it's highly recommended for diabetics.
Good luck, and we hope to see you around!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! I think doing PH1 is key for getting started. Yes, it is hard for most of us. But it is only two weeks - you can do anything for two weeks if you set your mind to it and plan ahead! I think baby steps would be harder in many ways than just ripping of the bandaid and doing what needs to be done. It really helps with the cravings.

I'm a big snacker too so the key is to read the book and the various threads in here to see what snacks might fit the bill for you and stock up. One thing that has helped me is to make one snack be veggies.

BTW - I eat the same thing for breakfast every day and appreciate the monotony and simplicity of that one meal.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #4  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: Started SB 12/18/09 334/-/?

Height: 5'6"

Welcome jessyka!yeah,once you have the list of good foods to eat,you'll find things there that you can snack on.
OnaMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I agree with all that has been said so far. I started losing my weight simply by making better choices. You can always make better choices as you prepare yourself for phase 1, but it is best to have that clean phase 1 to detox and get rid of the cravings.

Best wishes as you choose to modify your relationship with food.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #6  
Be happy.

Hi Jessyka!

Take some time to go through the FAQ's, food lists and recipes here. You'll see that you can do a pretty clean phase 1 if you just stick to lean meats and vegetables. My family didn't need or want to diet the first time I did SBD and I was able to stay on plan while fixing regular meals for them. Now is a great time for you to start because I'm assuming you're on winter break and would be able to do some of the cooking for your mom. If she's like me, she'll be glad to pick up the foods you want to fix if you'll be preparing the family's meals.

You can grill or broil chicken or lean meat and serve it with steamed or roasted vegetables. I used to microwave potatoes for my DH and teens, too, or fix them rolls to go with their meals. A couple of phase 1 recipes that my family really liked/likes are white chili, deep dish Italian pie, taco bake, and crack slaw. Regular chili with ground beef, too. Most of these don't take much longer than frozen entrees or boxed meals and they taste better and often cost less per serving. Maybe you could be the catalyst that helps your mom find foods to fix that will be better for her health.

I don't care for eggs so my phase 1 breakfasts are usually leftovers from lunch or supper the day before, or cottage cheese with vegetables or v8.

My favorite phase 1 snacks are red pepper strips, cheese sticks, pistachios or almonds and veggie strips and hummus.

A quick and easy sweet snack is the Peanut Butter Cookies. They get mixed reviews, people either love them or hate them but we like them. (I do the 1 egg, 1 cup Splenda and slightly less than 1 cup PB version - maybe 3/4 cup? I eyeball it. I make them small, using an iced tea spoon to scoop them, and bake for 11 mins @ 350. That gives the cookies more of a meringue, less greasy texture.) The nice thing about these is that you probably have everything you need in your cabinet right now.

You also asked for hints/tips - mine is a no-brainer to a lot of people but I was also one who skipped breakfast and often skipped lunch, too because I teach kindergarten and don't have much time at noon. When I plan and eat 3 balanced meals/day I have so much more self-control and self-discipline. I feel full and comfortable and the chips and salsa or M&Ms my husband snacks on are easy to skip.
Good luck to you!

Last edited by Heidi58; 12-27-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

Thanks everybody for all your insight! I'll definitely have to give the book another look over...I haven't read it cover to cover yet . I'm also reading You: On a Diet. I get my books from Paper Back Swap . Com - all I have to do is pay to ship books to other people and other people send their books to me at no cost, it's great! Thanks for the support! I'll see what I can do.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Welcome G-Goddess!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote