General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Read about this book in a reply on this site and just bought it.....would love to start a discussion about it. I am about to start reading it.

Last edited by charmtime; 12-15-2010 at 07:42 PM.
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I can only assume it was probably my review of the book that you read cuz i've literally seen NOTHING else about it on here. I know it's a slightly newer book, but it's still odd to me that no one else has mentioned it. I can't help but think that, in part, it's due to the fact that the book encourages eating a balanced diet and the dangers of ketosis (so not cutting out carbs).

Like I've said before, my weight loss hasn't been crazy fast, but it's been consistent and I still loss even when I had a boyfriend. Probably the thing I've struggled with the most is just making sure I eat right when I get up and eating every four hours. There are times where I could go longer, but she doesn't recommend it and frankly it keeps me from ever feeling hungry.

As for the book itself, I love the writing style especially her description of how she ate before. Not eating much in the morning, working out, having a huge salad for lunch and using that to justify eating a gallon of ice cream at night. It totally resonanted with me (and probably would with most people here). It's an eating plan that encourages moderation, but I love that nothing is totally off limits. I LOVE food and I like that I can still have the foods I love and lose weight.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think about the book. I haven't actually made any of the meals in the back even though they look DELISH (!) mushroom and artichoke chicken scaloppine. . .high protein pumpkin ginger pancakes. . .raspberry chambord trifle. . .I just have very limited access to the kitchen cuz I share it with my brother and he likes to use my dishes and not wash them. I have refused to clean up after him, so it means I usually do not have any pans or utensils to cook with. I just make sure I eat a PC combo every four hours. Some of my family has been impressed with my weight loss cuz they see that I'm still eating and have tons of energy. I went from obese (barely) to normal weight, and a size 16 to an 8.

sorry for the long post, but I really can't say enough good things about this book or this eating plan. It's something I feel I will be able to do forever.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #3  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoodles View Post
Probably the thing I've struggled with the most is just making sure I eat right when I get up and eating every four hours. There are times where I could go longer, but she doesn't recommend it and frankly it keeps me from ever feeling hungry.

I just make sure I eat a PC combo every four hours.
i am assuming a PC combo is a protein carb combo?? i saw someone else mention a PC combo on another thread...can you tell me please ... why is that important? i am new....well starting over...was here once before but got off track and now a little over a yr later, i am trying this a second time. i am not on any specific plan. just trying to learn and make right choices.

you mention "eat right" when you get up....can you help me by telling me what you feel is a daily recommened amount of carbs to eat in a day...there is so much info that is not consistant. thanks ever so kindly, susan

oh yeah, why is it important to eat every 4 hrs? thanks
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #4  

Ah! I had computer access earlier and am now stuck writing on my phone. So, yes PC combo stands for protein/carbs. I don't have the book on me right now, and don't want to misquote anything. So I will try to write a complete answer once I have the book and computer access again. I HATE typing on my phone.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #5  

I have only read the first few pages so I can't answer your questions. I can't wait to read it because everything tattoodles says makes sense to me. I don't like meat so I am a little scared of the heavy protein thing.

I ate a piece of carrot cake and some cheese for breakfast....so not sure about that. (smile)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i haven't read this although i'd be interested. i love salad! i think the problem comes in when people think eating some "healthy" (ie salad) is permission to eat something unhealthy later. Of course consuming healthy food alone doesn't leave you with negative calories. But i can understand the tendency to think that way. Please let me know what you guys think of the book.

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Ha! Some of the salads at TGIF have 1200 cals per dish! Not all salads are the same
Of course, this has nothing to do with said book. just having fun

Last edited by kittycat40; 12-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #8  

She definitely doesn't say you shouldn't eat salads, but exactly like like you said, too many dieters have the mentality that eating a salad gives you permission to indulge later. I still eat salads but I make sure to get ones that have some protein (usually some black beans or a boiled egg) and don't go crazy with the dressing.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #9  

Kittycat: she mentions that too! The cheesecake factory Caesar salad has 1699 cal (145g fat and 44g carbs), applebees stacked tostada salad has 1400cal, Chili's southwestern Cobb salad is 1117cal. But so many people just assume salads are always the healthy choice.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Tat, if we were on facebook I would LIKE your post
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #11  

thanks kittycat!

ok. so when I said eat right when I get up, I meant eat within an hour of waking up. not necessarily eating "right".

and how the author explains it is you basically have 4 "tanks" for fueling the body. the first is used right after you eat, 3-5 hours after you eat you start dipping into tank number 2 which is glycogen from stored in the liver, this is prime fat burning time. Tank three is muscle and liver tissue which you're still burning fat, but your metabolism has slowed and tank 4 is ketosis and while you're continuing to burn fat, it's essentially your body running on empty. ketosis is kind of the goal with low carb diets, but the fact that you have to go through the other stages to get there is not good.

also, she explains that the brain and nervous system use twice as much glucose (blood sugar) than other parts of the body, and you're body doesn't store glucose. that's why, even if you ate a TON of carbs in the morning, you're still going to feel hungry later in the day.

she recommends eating every four hours because it gets you dipping into tank two and burning fat without getting to the point where you're breaking down any muscle tissue. and combining protein and carbs helps the breaking down of carbs to be slower. She explains it kind of how when you drink alcohol on an empty stomach it goes straight to your head. in the same way, carbs eating without a protein to keep blood sugar levels even just causes your blood sugar to spike.

that's one of her main points that she stresses and I've found to be absolutely true is when you keep your blood sugar running pretty evenly it keeps you from making rash or bad food decisions. I used to eat an apple for a snack, and it'd satisfy me for a short time, but now that I combine it with some non-fat yogurt or some meat and cheese, it lasts soooo much longer. Her general guidelines are have your protein portion the size of the palm of your hand, your carbs the size of your fist with the other hand wrapped around it, and roughly a shot glass size of healthy fats.

like i said before, the hardest part IS making sure I'm eating every four hours cuz sometimes it's tempting to go longer or put it off, but I know i feel a million times better when I do eat frequently. I don't cook much meat myself, so it's been a little difficult to add protein. But some of the changes I've made have made a huge difference. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast (cuz they recommend it on almost every diet plan i've seen), but i would still feel hungry. Since starting reading this book i've added protein by having my oatmeal with a half cup of non-fat plain yogurt, and soymilk with my coffee. The difference it's made is immeasurable.

I basically eat 4 meals (not just snacks) a day and have consistently and happily lost weight. Like I said in a totally different post, the first few times I weighed myself and saw the scale going down I totally thought it was a fluke. Everyone I know seemed to be suffering in their weight loss journey and I felt like I was eating all the time and YUMMY stuff too! I have scrambled egg whites with a little cheese, salsa, a piece of toast with butter, and my special trader joe's mocha that I make for breakfast a few times a week. Strawberries and cream oatmeal with yogurt and soy latte some mornings, and if i don't have a lot of time I'll have some fruit, non-fat cottage cheese, and a handful of nuts.

I feel like I'm kind of babbling now, but I'm not sure what else to say. All I know is this has been the easiest weight loss I've ever had and it just makes sense to me.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #12  

Wow....I am barely into the book but your post has already made me understand what she is talking about.

You hit on an important point for me and I wish you would talk about it some more....what is protein? I don't eat a lot of meat and I just know that is going to be my problem. I know to eat eggs and I read where you said yogurt.Any other good protein sources? I am afraid that is where I am going to mess up.

Also...I am a HUGE SWEET EATER....How do sweets fit into this plan or do you just not crave them?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #13  

I knew better than to try a "plan" over Christmas....I have been surrounded by some amazing food the past two days. But...Now I am back to reality
The book has a couple of meal plans that I will need to stick to until I get my head really wrapped around this concept. I am already thinking PC which is kind of cool.

I slept in late this morning and had not planned anything for breakfast (so I am seeing one obstacle already) so I just opened the fridge to grab a little something. I found 1/2 a boiled egg and my brain screamed PROTEIN, so I dug around for some carbs and came up with 3 mini cheese biscuits I made for Christmas Eve. I allowed my self a spoonful of an orange-brownie cake as well. I am very satisfied.

The trick is to eat PC every 4 hours. I am off work this week but when I go back Monday-week, I will need to plan these meals out carefully or frankly I will skip meals.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/205/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi, tatoodles, thanks for your posts, they are really helping. I just bought the book a week ago and I am only on Chapter 3 (the holidays have kept me so busy!). I am so excited about this program and I can't wait to get started. My question for you is: how long did it take you to reach your goal? Have you lost the weight on this diet alone or were you following another one before you started this program? I am currently a size 16. I would be happy to reach a size 10 but I used to be a size 8 long time ago. Thanks and congratulations on your weight loss!
Marinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #15  

I started September of 2009. So 15 months. But the first three months I only lost 6 lbs total (and had not read this book). Then I read Skinny chicks don't eat salads and decided that was the plan for me. I also did have a boyfriend for 6 of those months and while I still lost 5 lbs while I was with him (soooo happy I didn't gain!) Most of the weight loss was from Jan.-May and late October till the present.