Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Not doing it alone

I've been gone from 3FC for so long, and I kept thinking I should get back, but I never did. I think I somehow got it into my head that I shouldn't come back unless I had something awesome to share. Dumb, right? It's like not wanting to see friends/family unless you've lost weight. The only thing that does is make you lonely.

I've made some really bad choices lately and it's stressing me out and making me feel bad about myself. I decided that, instead of beating myself up about it even more, what I really needed to do was get back to 3FC and work on making better choices. So, here I am.

I've lost almost no weight for the last eight months (mostly, I'll admit, from lack of trying), but I've been maintaining. But now I'm worried that I'm going to start gaining, and I just refuse to let that happen. Sure, some of the extra few pounds that I've seen on the scale lately has to be salt, but I know that some of it is from the bad choices I've been making.

Relying on good habits isn't cutting it right now, so I need to remember:
  • Yes, one cookie/chocolate/piece of cake does make a difference.
  • There are always going to be temptations in the world.
  • If I want it, I can plan for it. If I didn't plan for it, I shouldn't be eating it.
  • I need to be actively planning for holiday events.
  • There is no such thing as "starting again". I can't "start again" after the holidays, because there's nothing to *stop*.
  • I am not on a diet that I can put on hold. I eat how I eat by choice and it works for me.
  • Getting back into a habit is harder than breaking one. I am not afraid of hard work, but why should I let it get to that point?
  • There are an infinite number of excuses out there. Each and every one of them means I've done something that I shouldn't. A "good" excuse is still an excuse.
  • I do not need to do this alone. People will help and support me if I let them, and let them know I need it.

So this is me, letting you know I need it. I fully intend to be an actively back at 3FC from now on. Just being here and seeing what other people are doing helps so much, but I have to actually be here for it to help, so I would really appreciate it if someone could poke me if it looks like I'm disappearing again.

I'm glad to be back.

Lisa

Last edited by LisaF; 12-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Nicely worded, Lisa!!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #3  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Welcome back! Thank you for sharing. I have been struggling in the last week, even though I know how important this is for me. Your post has helped to remind me why I am doing this. Thanks, and good luck!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Lisa--

I'm new to this forum, and find myself here for similar reasons to yours for coming back! The support that comes from others is a great way to stay on track. I lost weight 2 years ago mostly because of my participation in a forum like this one--unfortunately most of it found me again, and now I have to start over. I'm in the process of collecting new "tools" to set myself up for success again--sounds like you're doing the same thing!

Good luck to both of us!
ChickyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Welcome back! I know I do worse with my maintenance and losses when I am away from the site, and we all totally understand where you coming from with this.

Every word you said is true, now it's just time to live it again
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Welcome back Lisa.

I've been stuck for five months, sometimes trying as hard as I could, and sometimes making so-so choices, but I have kept coming back here and it has helped me stay on track.

Maintaining a 120 lb loss is a remarkable achievement!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #7  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Your post is awesome...I feel the same way, I just wish there were an easier way to get it to REALLY sink in! You can do it!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the inspirational post, I also sometimes think that I can do it alone but the fact is I can't. I am a little bit different that the majority of the people out there who either eat anything and don't put on weight or have amazing food/portion control and just don't overeat. I need help and to stick around people like me, who are weight aware and making effort not to take that first bite because it does make a difference. Welcome back! And don't go out so that you don't need to come back, just hang in here like the rest of us. When I was away I put on few pounds and binge ate, I really don't need to do that again.
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Great post Lisa, and welcome back!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

that was a really great post! I really liked the "waiting til your thin to see friends/family just leaves you lonely" That's a great thing to remember. There's no "magical" time of thinness when the world will be full of rainbows and gumdrops LOL the time is NOW. NOW is the time to rejoice in life and be happy and do things you want to do -- no matter what size.

Good for you for maintaining all this time, that's really hard to do. I'm glad you're back @ 3FC and ready to continue marching on
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #11  

Wow. Great post. I have felt the same way. That "waiting til you're thin", got to me too.

Give yourself kudos for maintaining, welcome back, and thanks for the inspiration. I have been stuck (deservedly) myself for awhile. WE CAN DO THIS
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, everyone. It felt really good to finally say all that - I didn't even realize how much I'd been holding in until I started to write it.

The good news is that when I got on the scale this morning, most of the gain that had me freaking out was gone. I suspected a lot of it was salt, but didn't realize just how much. The remaining couple of pounds are completely deserved. It's a lot easier to (mentally) cope with a two pound gain than a seven-pound gain. The really good news is that it was an extremely effective wake-up call, and I am now more determined than ever to stay on track.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #13  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Reading and posting here helps me keep my mental focus on making positive choices throughout the day. We are here to encourage one another. Each post we read is a proof that we are not alone, and that together, we can reach our goals!
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #14  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

Height: 5'5

Welcome back! You've done so well maintaining...and were glad you came back! You're such an inspiration to those of us here who are trying to lose big..youve accomplished so much losing over 100 pounds now you're going for your goal and we are all here to cheer you on!! You can do it!

P.s. I loved the cookie part..I know exactly what you're talking about!
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #15  
No description available.

Thank you for this. I really needed to read it today. I'm glad you're back!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote