View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
nelie
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah carbs aren't bad, I guess the person writing the article doesn't know much about carbs.

This quote probably sums it up best:
"If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread, pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the problems we have with weight and diabetes and other metabolic diseases."

Although I'm not sure about potatoes, I've seen some positive research in regards to potatoes. And white rice is a staple in many asian countries that have occurences of low obesity/diabetes so although I'm not a fan of white rice, I'm not sure grouping it in there is fair. I think mostly it is about the fact that Americans as a whole eat a lot of processed carbs that are often grouped with added fats is an issue.

And then even in the article, it has a dissenting opinion:
Joanne Slavin, professor of nutrition at the University of Minnesota and a member of the advisory committee for the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, is less inclined to support the movement. The committee, she says, "looked at carbohydrates and health outcomes and did not find a relationship between carbohydrate intake and increased disease risk."

Most Americans need to reduce calories and increase activity, Slavin adds. Cutting down on carbs as a calorie source is a good strategy, "but making a hit list of carbohydrate-containing foods is shortsighted and doomed to fail, similar to the low-fat rules that started in the 1980s."