Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #1  
banned

Default Any contortionists on here?

Is there anyone on here that is into contortion, or interested in it? I've been interested in it for a while, but I'm way too fat to do it, and not very flexible. I've heard it's very good for the body, and is able to prevent fibromalgia (which my mother has, and her doctor said I would probably inherit).
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm not into actual contortion per se, but I'm super into any flexibility-based workout: yoga, pilates, ballet/barre workouts, athletic stretching, etc. I have all these flexibility-achievement type goals for myself, but they're hardly contortionist-level. For example, I want to be able to do splits and to do a forward-standing bend with my palms flat on the floor.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

the idea of contortion sounded weird to me at first read, but the more i think about it, the cooler i think it would be to be able to tie myself into knots at whim. hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I'm not into actual contortion per se, but I'm super into any flexibility-based workout: yoga, pilates, ballet/barre workouts, athletic stretching, etc. I have all these flexibility-achievement type goals for myself, but they're hardly contortionist-level. For example, I want to be able to do splits and to do a forward-standing bend with my palms flat on the floor.
THIS! I too want to work up to splits... work back to my former flexibility, actually. what are you doing to get there? i am dealing with sciatica, and have been for over a year; i’m convinced that it’s very much to do with a muscle imbalance along my spine, including an inflexibility of the stronger muscles. for that reason, it’s sometimes difficult to make myself stretch. (it hurts!) however, if i had some accountability and support, saaaaaay in the form of a thread i can check in on, I bet i’d work harder at it...
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #4  

also, serval i LOVE wicked!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
what are you doing to get there?
Right now, I have a daily routine to stretch/strengthen areas where I'm not so limber. For example, I have a very limber lower back for some reason, but my legs and arms are not in as good of shape, so I do 30 seconds of plank pose every day and am soon going to build up to 40 seconds, then 50, then a full minute, and so on. For my hamstrings, I'm doing forward standing bend for 30 seconds, and I started out holding my hands at my thighs, then knees, then shins, and now I'm at my ankles/tops of my feet. I'll soon progress to putting my hands to floor, and then building to keeping my hands flat on the floor, increasing time, etc. Once I have mastered the hands-to-floor, I'm moving on to adding splits training by starting with lunges held a certain number of seconds, as well as working on nose-to-knee bends lying supine on the floor.

I do these on top of doing yoga/pilates/ballet at least four hours a week. I especially like these types of workouts that utilize a stability ball, because you can really flex into a lot more poses with one of those, plus it's useful for strength training.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #6  

very interesting! i like the idea of just doing a little more every day. knees straight in the standing bend?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I love yoga and hot yoga especially. by the time you get to the extremes of some poses, you are definitely doing some contorting. If you are interested, yoga is a great way to start, and good teachers will help you modify poses until you get better at them. In our classes are people of all shapes and sizes, and thin people are not necessarily more flexible. You work only in relation to yourself. I am much more fit and flexible than when I started, but much less than some who started at the same time, etc.
But like my slow weight loss, all things are relative, and I am getting better.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
knees straight in the standing bend?
Yup! That part, I've been able to do my whole adult life, but I've got short arms and tight hamstrings, so it's been a real journey getting close to palms to the floor with straight knees.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #9  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serval87 View Post
Is there anyone on here that is into contortion, or interested in it? I've been interested in it for a while, but I'm way too fat to do it, and not very flexible. I've heard it's very good for the body, and is able to prevent fibromalgia (which my mother has, and her doctor said I would probably inherit).
Not sure about the contortion thingy,but I LOVE THE PICS OF YOUR CAT

I am a certified cat lover
Mercy03 is offline   Reply With Quote