General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default security cameras???

Hi Ladies.

Many of you may remember me as a frequent poster over the last couple of years. What I have to talk to you about today has nothing to do with weightloss. I do hope someone here can help me.

Last year we moved to a seemingly quieter area. We do not know our neighbors well but what we do know we don't like. Encounters with them have all been odd as are their personalities. Beyond odd actually.

I am concerned about a device I see has been mounted on the gutter of their home. It seems to have a circular round head on it (dare I say LENS like???) and has a capped wire hanging from it about 10-12 inches long. It is pointed at the garages on my own home where we come and go and where my children (two young girls) often play.

Am I to absolutely 100% assume this is indeed a camera? What is the possibility of it being a rain gauge, weather device or something to do with their garage door openers. Because of it's placement, it is impossible to plant a tree in front of it or anything of the like.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be if it isn't a camera?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5

take a picture of it maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for someone to point a camera into your yard.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

that would freak me the heck out! i agree, try to take a picture. if it is a camera- it'll freak them out cause they'll know you're on to them. haha.

and i do remember you!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
take a picture of it maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for someone to point a camera into your yard.

In most places it's not, but you can always call the police department in your area and see if there's an ordinance against it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'd ask them what it is. But then, I'm pretty bold. If it is a camera they would have a tough time explaining it!
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #6  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

You can do multiple things here

Take a picture of it a close up and show us and we'll be able to determine it more.
Wait until the neighbours aren't home and go snooping to get a closer look at it.
call the police and have them come check it out.
ask them straight up what it is...
or two find a way when they are not home to knock it down haha
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

That IS odd. If it were my house, I'd be worried about why they were watching my property. It may be wise to invest in a security camera of your own. It sucks to have to think that way.
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

It could be part of a motion detector light, the lens is the thing that picks up the motion, but the capped wire sounds like it's not hooked up to anything.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I would think it's more likely to be a security camera/motion sensor for their property.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

It's not as odd as you think. Installing security cameras in one's own home is becoming a new trend as they become less expensive.

I would post a link about this but I don't have 25 posts.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

They're probably just paranoid if it is a security camera.

my fiance's father is a paranoid schizophrenic and has set up security cameras in front of his house numerous times. He moved in with grandma, and installed a hunting camera (it's basically a motion-sensitive camera that takes a picture when something moves) in front of her house because he was convinced people were trying to break in. Same with his crappy house... always thought people were going to break in and steal his crap.

I'm not sure if talking to them will solve anything, so I'd take a picture of it and try to look at it closer. I'd also look up the local laws and call your local police department and ask.
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even if it's a security camera, it could be fake or could be unconnected (not filming). Dummy cameras have become a trend in home security to fake out would-be burglars.

It could be difficult to tell if the camera is intentionally aimed at your home, or if the street and sidewalk of his property is the actual target, and your house just happens to be in the background (or whether your house can even be seen with the camera, if it is a camera).

You can't hide a camera on someone else's property or trespass onto their property to tape them, but in most places, you can put a camera pretty much any where you want to on your own property, even if it's aimed at someone else.

When I was a probation officer, there was a guy on probation (not on my caseload, but of the probation officer I shared an office with) who had unsuccessfully tried to get the case against him thrown out because the main evidence against him was a videotape his neigbors had set up in their house, aimed out there window. I don't even remember what he was supposed to have done, only that the neighbors had caught it on tape.

You could of course buy a security camera (or a dummy) and aim it at his home.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

i never even thought that it might be a dummy camera.
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

The capped wire makes me think that, whatever it is, isn't actually hooked up. It may be a motion sensor, it may be a camera that's just pointed -anywhere- until they hook it up properly and it's just coincedentally pointed your way.

What you could do is ask them, Hey, I saw what looks like a security camera on your gutter - is that what it is? Have you noticed any trouble in the neighborhood I should be aware of? I'm always trying to look out for the best interest of my little ones! - do you know where I might be able to buy some? Or something like that....

It shows that you're paying attention to whatever it is they're doing without pointing fingers at them.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #15  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I doubt they're watching your house on purpose. Crime can show up anywhere, and maybe they're just wary of it. You could ask them what it is, I would. Otherwise, it could simply be a motion detector that turns on an exterior light when it detects motion in the yard.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote