Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/155

Height: 67 in

Default Best time to exercise?

I am curious if it matters when you exercie during the day. I usually workout in the morning right after th kids go to school and before I eat my light breakfast and start my daily chores. But I was wondering if I shoud eat before I workout or if that has any effect on my weigt loss.

M
wannalose2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I eat breakfast right away (it's recommended on my eating plan). And I'm more of a night work out person. It gives me something to do other than eat/snack in the evenings. But I'm also an AWESOME sleeper, so even working out right before bed I can still fall asleep without any issues (I'm aware this a not something that works for everyone). So, that's what I do.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

There's a hearty debate out there about when to eat, before or after. I've done both and have actually found for me switching it up is what matters. If I've been eating prior and loss stalls, I'll switch to eating after and the loss will pick up again. It works the other way around too.

I say do what you need to do for you. I'm fine to work out on an empty stomach for 45 minutes to an hour. Anything more than that and I need fuel.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

My older daughter goes to school around 8:45. I drop her off and head to the gym with my other 2 kids. We're home and showered before lunch at 11:30. They still get their naps in the afternoon, and I get quiet time while they nap.
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeezmelissa View Post
I remember reading if your goal is to lose weight, you will get better results working out on an empty stomach.
I cannot work out on an empty stomach. When I wake up I am starving, on the verge of throwing up with low blood-sugars. I have to eat. I don't binge, mind, but I do eat breakfast before working out.
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

If I try to workout on an empty stomach the quality of my workout suffers greatly. For me the best is to eat a moderate snack about 40 to 60 minutes before I exercise. Otherwise I'm sluggish and have stomach pains. But then some people feel nauseous and sluggish if they DO eat that soon before.

Really I think it's all about what ever works for YOU. I don't think it would make a noticeable impact on weight loss either way. I've read somewhere that on an empty stomach you'll burn more fat during the workout. But if you're at a caloric deficit you will burn fat at some point anyway.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

It's hard to know with these things because the experts tell you something and then 6 months later there's a new study and it is the exact opposite! I just read recently that the best time to work out is on an empty stomach. If your insulin level is low, the body automatically taps into fat reserves and starts to burn those.

For me, I work out everyday after work before dinner. It doesn't bother me to work out on an empty stomach, plus exercising for some reason suppresses my appetite so I eat less when I eat dinner shortly after my workout.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Food = Energy
Energy = Better Workout

In my "bodybuilding" days, this was common practice for many to do an hour on the elipticle on an empty stomach. People passed out, through up and basically had lousy, weak workout sessions. Many quickly got "burned out" and quit.

From my own personal experience, I'd wait at least an hour after eating breakfast to exercise. I've not waited at least an hour, and the entire workout (running), my food was trying to come up and horrible heartburn!

As far as Post Workout nutrition, 3 oz grilled chix, protein bar, protein shake, etc. works fine for me.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It's definitely not a good idea to exercise on a full stomach. I have had 45-minute runs where I spend the entire time burping and tasting the last thing I ate. I like to use a workout as a way to "earn" my next meal. I can't run on an empty stomach in the morning unless I drink coffee though.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #10  

I run on coffee. Anything solid and I'll be seeing it again soon.

If I were training to make the Olympic trials I might care about whether the timing of my eating were hurting my speed, but like the great overwhelming majority of runners--even long-time runners who race--that's just not the case.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #11  

My sister told me that eating immediately after a workout slows down your metabolism. This is based on a study she read.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I think the bet time to exercise is when you think you can go most consistently. Maybe you get a little more bump in fat loss if you exercise on an empty stomach versus full or have more energy in the afternoon versus morning, etc. But in the end, these little difference won't matter a bit if you are not working out consistently.

For me, that's first thing in the morning before my day gets too hectic. For you it may be different.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I eat a small breakfast about 45 min- 1 hour before my workout (an egg, slice of toast and cup of skim milk). Then, I try to eat immediately after (protein drink and piece of fruit or string cheese). My theory (to add to all the others!) is that protein immediately after a workout will help repair lean muscle tissue - especially important after a vigorous workout or lifting weights. So...both?
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

with all thats been said, I heard, to just do it. Just move. No matter when, how or where. It's all good any time.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote