Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #1  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Default Oatmeal is filling? Not for me!

Everywhere I read that oatmeal is a great breakfast and very filling.

Now, I need a filling breakfast. My student mornings begin early and I need something that will hold me for four hours otherwise I end up snacking all day long!

I made MeloMeals' delicious "pumpkin spice" oatmeal which is made with pureed carrot and white beans. i also added sesame seeds and raisons, and ate a solid portion with a microwaved apple instead of adding sugar. Delicious!

I found that I would be satisfied (not FULL) after maybe half, and then HUNGRY an hour or two later.

I use Robin Hood Large Flake Oats. Is this the "wrong kind" of oat that's not filling?

On the other hand, my breakfast of choice is a whole wheat english muffin with an egg, slices of turkey and a ff kraft cheese slice, some fruit on the side, keeps me going much longer.

I've considered it's the protein content. Anyone else have a similar experience?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

what about adding a small amount of peanut butter or other but butter to the oatmeal? lots of people like this, and the protein keeps them going longer.

for me, it can't be just any oatmeal. that instant fluff won't help at all. but if i use the unprocessed kind, it works fine, but i don't have to have protein at each meal i need volume, fiber.

maybe try a egg white omelet with lots of veggies in a wrap? you'll want lots of options. no one wants eggs EVERY day.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I find plain old boring old oats more filling than fancied ones. I have 1/4 cup dry weight of oats, microwaved in half a cup of water for 2 minutes, sprinkled with 1/2oz ground flaxseed/nuts mix and 4 oz plain yogurt. This holds me for up to 6 hours.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

dear souvenirdarling, i can totally relate, i can't believe someone really feels full for hours after an oatmeal breakfast.
i do eat oatmeal, though. i add some protein powder in it and it makes a world of difference. carbohidrates can't make me feel full, i guess it's my insuline going crazy after i eat something like that and makes me hungry. weather it is protein powder or eating something like an egg, or adding some healthy fats from nuts or similar helps alot.
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

I think you have to find what works for you. You can take the suggestions from what works for other people, but I don't feel full on fruit and veg, I don't feel full on protein. I've carefully tracked all my nutrition on Fitday for months and found the correct balance for me and I need minimum 50% carb calories or I feel hungry all day long. If you don't find your body responding in the same way others seem to then try the next suggestion down the line instead of trying to make it work.

I find fats filling, so I have to try to go with the healthier fats, olive oil, nuts, etc. I eat a fair number of eggs because they are protein and fat and that fills me up well if balanced with a carb, so boiled eggs and a small slice of bread (210 cals) fills me 100 times more than 210 cals of cereals.

The most filling food for me is salad onions/spring onions. I always liked the taste but not the texture, but I've been working on eating them, and one head of spring onion keeps me full for hours due to the strong taste. Sometimes I just have to smell onions and I feel full.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #6  

Make the oatmeal with milk instead of water. That will add protein without adding more fat. Or have a hard boiled egg with your oatmeal. I use steel cut oats, peaches, and 1 T almonds and then have my egg.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I have the same experience with oatmeal - it doesn't really do much for me, though I enjoy it while it's happening. People's suggestions for adding stuff to it are good ideas.

I tend to make steel-cut oats (the kind that take a good half hour to cook) on cold winter weekend mornings when I've slept in and it's not too long till lunchtime. I also sometimes bake up an apple in the microwave and cut that in - it helps bulk it up for me.

To bake an apple in the microwave - core an apple and put it in a microwave-safe bowl or dish. Add a few tablespoons of water, a little cinnamon/nutmeg/whatever you like, and a small sprinkle of sugar or your favorite sugar substitute (I just use the real thing because I use such a tiny amount). Cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes or so.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I wouldn't say I stay stuffed for hours, but it satisfies me for about 4 hours. I do, however, drink the bulk of my water (and some coffee) for the day during those 4 hours, so that may be part of it.

I use 1/2 cup dry Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (do NOT like the instant) made with one cup of water for each serving I make. I always make up 5 servings every Sunday evening for my breakfast during the week and store it in the fridge in plastic containers. I also use lots of cinnamon, butter flavor extract (for the taste/aroma without the added calories) and then I sprinkle on Splenda brown sugar after I heat it up. I also love to add frozen dark sweet cherries (UNsweetened) when I heat it up, too. So good. Also good with cooked apples, pears or chopped up canned peaches.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I'm with you - oats alone will not fill me up. Instant are the worst offenders but even with rolled or steel-cut, I'm hungry not a couple of hours later.

I still love oats, though, and they're so good for you, so I've started mixing them (uncooked rolled oats) into my morning Greek yogurt. With some berries, this is an amazing breakfast that DOES keep me satisfied for 4 hours or so.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

I'm partial to "Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain". You can get plenty of instant oats cheap at ALDI and it's OK... but Bob's is a little chewier and heartier, and I think a slightly slower digest. I find it at Harris Teeter and the Natural Food stores.

Last edited by darway; 12-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #11  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

BetterOats Blueberry Muffin and Dark chocolate are the only instant oatmeal’s that have ever filled me up for more than 3 hours. I know chocolate oatmeal might sound nasty, but it’s actually really tasty and filling.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #12  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I know where you are coming from. I too am surprised that so many find oats to be so filling. I add soy or almond milk to mine and a tablespoon of peanutbutter and i am hungry a few hours later. The only thing i can think of is, they are so filling i can't eat enough of them to keep me full for 4, 5, 6 hours as others mention.

I usually only have a 1/4 cup with 1 T pb and milk alternative. Sometimes a banana. I've tried to eat more and even add extra fiber with oat bran or ground flax but i can't eat that much of them.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #13  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I DO like Oatmeal in the morning, but I definitely use the old-fashioned kind, not the instant. I usually add fruit and some almonds and they usually bulk things up.
As a result of this forum, I now add 1/2 cup of vegetables to my breakfast meal. So far it has helped.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #14  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I make a dry breakfast cereal from the oatmeal. I take oatmeal, almonds,and dried fruit and mix it together and have a serving of that like I would a regular cereal. The nuts have protein and you get the fiber from the oats and such. As long as you eat a small 1/2 cup amount (or slightly larger even) usually you are good to go.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #15  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I never just eat plain oatmeal, I always have mix ins. Usually have 1/2-3/4 cup oats and then mix in some sort of nut butter, Greek yoghurt, a banana, berries, or some sort of dried fruit. Depending on how many calories the oats + mixs in ends up being, I sometimes have some egg whites or veggie sausage as well. Having the oatmeal plus the other additions tends to keep me pretty satisfied for 4 hours or so.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote