General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Why do people like to always top you?

I have a lot of stress going on right now...an unusual amount. Family life is not so great. I was lamenting this to a co-worker yesterday because, though I try to hide it, some of it blew up at work. So I laid it out on the table about my husband's depression. She proceeded to tell me all about her own depression. So while I was telling about how hard it is to go home and have to hear about my husband's depression ALL the time, she decided to use me as her sounding board too. My ears are filled! LOL!

It's like that with weight loss too. If you've lost 80, someone knows someone who's lost 100. And if you did it in a year, that someone else did it in 10 months. And if you mention calorie counting, I bet you get an earful that someone else did it faster and better with low carbing.

Sometimes a story just needs to stand on its own.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #2  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I know how you feel. I hate it when people play who's life is worse.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I call it the one up game. I hate it, and I try to get out of it as much as possible. Sorry you're going through it. . .
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think people try to make themselves relatable. And it sucks sometimes but at least they don't blow you off?

I told my coworker about the issues I'm facing with my husband's MS lately and it was nice to hear a kind word and a great suggestion (support group for people whose spouses have MS- as smart as I am I never thought about it).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

I have to say thank you for your original post here. I have to admit when talking to people and they share a story I may share a similar story but my intent is in no way to top them but to in some way say hey I have been thru a similar thing and understand what you are going thru.
I even did that on this site the other day when someone shared about thier stepdaughter and some issues she was having. I went on to share about my own stepdaughter and some issues I had that almost destroyed me. I in no way meant to one up them and if in any way I did that to NP I do apologize. I only meant to vent my ownself (as I still have some issues left over) and in some way encourage and say hey I understand it can be tough.
I will in the future be more mindful of my words and more careful to listen and encourage properly when someone shares something.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley777 View Post
I have to say thank you for your original post here. I have to admit when talking to people and they share a story I may share a similar story but my intent is in no way to top them but to in some way say hey I have been thru a similar thing and understand what you are going thru.
I even did that on this site the other day when someone shared about thier stepdaughter and some issues she was having. I went on to share about my own stepdaughter and some issues I had that almost destroyed me. I in no way meant to one up them and if in any way I did that to NP I do apologize. I only meant to vent my ownself (as I still have some issues left over) and in some way encourage and say hey I understand it can be tough.
I will in the future be more mindful of my words and more careful to listen and encourage properly when someone shares something.
Honestly, I'm guilty of this too. I think we all are. I sometimes catch myself and think, wow, I just one-upped that person. I never mean to, and I know my co-worker didn't either. I'm sure you didn't mean to do it. For that matter, sometimes it's fine and it shows a sympathetic ear. Sometimes it's nice to hear that someone else is in a similar boat...that you're not alone.

I don't mean that we should never relate in that way. It's often quite appropriate.

I guess when someone is lamenting that she's worn out, really worn out, by living a depression that isn't even hers...laying on more depression probably isn't the wisest form of support.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I try to commiserate (I think I spelled that wrong) with people, sharing similar stories to let them know that I'm on the same wavelength with them, I understand what they are saying, and that they are not alone. But, I try very VERY hard not to make it sound like I did it first, faster, better, or 100 times worse than what they are sharing with me.

A prime example, my friend has 3 children, I have 2 children. Our oldest 2 are close in age, and she has an infant. When she calls me crying (sometimes literally) in frustration and anger, I try to commiserate with her. She always always ALWAYS says, "Just imagine how you would feel if you had 3 instead of 2" or "imagine holding the 2 year old and leaving the infant crying on the floor" or something along those lines. As if whatever happens to her is worse than whatever happens to me because she has one extra kid.

Anyway, maybe OP's friend was trying to be helpful and didn't realize she was going the extra mile.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #8  
Child of Har, 6rayedstar

S/C/G: 361/200/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I have a lot of stress going on right now...an unusual amount. Family life is not so great. I was lamenting this to a co-worker yesterday because, though I try to hide it, some of it blew up at work. So I laid it out on the table about my husband's depression. She proceeded to tell me all about her own depression. So while I was telling about how hard it is to go home and have to hear about my husband's depression ALL the time, she decided to use me as her sounding board too. My ears are filled! LOL!

It's like that with weight loss too. If you've lost 80, someone knows someone who's lost 100. And if you did it in a year, that someone else did it in 10 months. And if you mention calorie counting, I bet you get an earful that someone else did it faster and better with low carbing.

Sometimes a story just needs to stand on its own.

Yes. I agree totally. This is going to sound strange, but therapy was one venue I used to be able to talk without someone "topping me".

Do you have any friends who don't engage in that? If I were you I would start prioritizing my time so that I spent it with the friends who don't engage in the "topping" behavior.
Its very hard to find people who don't automatically do things like that, but its worth the effort.

Next time she does that, maybe you might say something like: Wow your life is so much worse than mine, I feel sorry for you, and see what she says
Harsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #9  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

The worst one is childbirth.

Someone always has a worse childbirth story than what you went through.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #10  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

That's why I don't talk to people about my personal stuff.

Maybe that's the only way they can relate though. By sharing their experience.
But, I have noticed that alot of people would rather talk about themselves than listen to another persons problems.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

They are not very good communicators. People always want to talk about themselves. But when it's time for someone else, it's there time. Like it's your time now. Is it okay to say I know someone just like what you are talking about. lol.

I'm not trying to one up you but just want to say, I have been in the company of such a person as you described. I don't know why they do it. So but i think they like to be the lead or something, the know it all. Done it all, heard it all.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #12  
Medifasting since 5/13/10

S/C/G: 235/???/135

Height: 5'4"

I think its natural for people to communicate via comparison... to make themselves relateable, to offer advice, etc. As you can see, almost everyone has responded with a similar story/anecdote, but i think most of us can tell that no one here is trying to maliciously one up you. I notice I do it sometimes too (and I'm doing it now ), but I've gotten better at consciously stopping myself and asking whether the person I'm talking to needs someone to vent to or is genuinely asking for help. Sometimes the conversation is more natural, less stagnant, and spicier when each person is adding something rather than waiting for the other to finish to politely ask questions.

Where it gets annoying is when the person literally cannot respond to anything you say without making it about them. I had a "friend" like that in college, and at some point I would just stop responding and let her have a conversation with herself. Eventually she got the hint, and we're no longer friends. (Although she does try to facebook chat me occasionally, to ask me how I'm doing, and when I respond? She tries to one up me. Some people never change.) I think perpetual "one uppers" are socially awkward, very insecure, or painfully self absorbed...probably usually a combination of all three.
BarristerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #13  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Yep! I really am trying to be a better listener. I've noticed that older people are really bad about not listening. I guess it is because they have experienced so much and want us to benefit from their experience. But sometimes we just need someone to talk to and listen don't we!?
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #14  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with all the posters! It is a rare find to have someone who you can trust will just listen and give you sympathy. I finally had to stop trying to get commiseration from people when I told of my husband's motorcycle accident. No one would tell me what I wanted to hear so I just stopped.

SO Eliana, please feel free to pop in the Depression section here, a bunch of us would give you sympathy and support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsdottir View Post

Next time she does that, maybe you might say something like: Wow your life is so much worse than mine, I feel sorry for you, and see what she says
I have done that, and it is SO effective When they think that you're a witch for saying it, it can be blamed on all the problems that are saddling us
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #15  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I had a friend like that. In 8th
grade I sprung my hip during track
conditioning. I was out the rest
of the season. He would ALWAYS
tell me about how he was able to
run 5 miles without stopping.

He's still a jerk to this day.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote