Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Default Homemade Pizza

I'm not a big junk food eater. I can't remember the last time I've consumed it. It's just been too long. But I'm contemplating making some homemade pizza. I thought it might be fun and hubby may even enjoy it. I suppose the upside to "homemade" foods, is that you can choose WHAT goes into the recipe :] So has anyone made homemade pizza before, and what ingredients did you use? About how many calories did you estimate a single slice was? I'm vegetarian so anything along the lines of "meat lovers" is not something that will be considered. Thanks for any ideas!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: SW:197.8/GW:145

Height: 5'8"

I love making pizzas on pita bread - sounds kinda weird but it is super good. I bake the pitas at 425 for a couple of minutes to make them a bit harder. Then I load them up with bunches of veggies (tomatoes, sauteed onions and mushrooms, spinach, etc), sauce, and some skim mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melted. I don't know the calories off-hand but it is easy enough to calculate.
asparagus4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I love feta, pesto, artichokes, onions, mushrooms and kalamata olives. Sometimes chicken, but it is not missed when it is not there. Throw some mozzarella on top and its good to go.
Whole wheat crust yum.

I have no idea how many calories though. Sorry
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Mmm, my new favorite recipe:

Brush a little olive oil over a WW tortilla and sprinkle with a little onion salt. (Both optional)

Skip the sauce for right now. You will bake it without sauce so it doesn't get soggy.

Sprinkle with 1/4 cup or less cheese.

Load with veggies. I love onion and green, red, yellow and banana peppers.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Spoon on a little sauce and spread.

I estimate this to be around 250 calories for the whole thing depending on the size of the tortilla and the amount of cheese.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #5  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I make homemade pizza fairly frequently. The dough keeps well in the fridge for a week or so and by making a full recipe and dividing it into eighths, I get six-ounce portions that are very plan-friendly (for plans that aren't low-carb, that is, though there are certainly some low-carb crust recipes out there to try).

I use a favorite local chef's recipe for my pizza crust; it's Andrea Apuzzo's, and it's a tasty version of a thin, crispy crust. Any thin-crust recipe you like will do, though--they're all going to be pretty low-calorie. (Edited to add: no matter what recipe you use, put your kitchen scale to work and measure out your dough portions. If you just divide it up without measuring, you could be adding a lot of calories from extra flour on humid days. Baking with yeast is weird like that.)

I sometimes skip sauce and just use a layer of very thinly sliced tomatoes in lieu of it. Other times, I use this no-cook pizza sauce.

I flatten a six-ounce round of dough into a circle about 10-12 inches in diameter, depending on how thin I want my pizza. Then I sauce/tomato it up, add my favorite toppings (lots of spinach, finely diced onions, feta, romano, and mozzarella cheeses), and toss it in the oven on a pizza stone.

It cooks in 8-10 minutes, tastes fantastic, and has anywhere from 500-600 calories for the whole thing, most of which comes from the cheeses and could be reduced if you aren't as much of a cheese-hound as I am. (The crust is 350 calories by itself if made with standard bread flour, so it's easy to figure up the rest from there.) I used to eat an entire one of these at a sitting, but lately I find that just too much food at once, so I eat it in halves and round out each half-pizza meal with a salad or small bowl of soup.

Another awesome thing about making your own pizza is that everyone in your household can make his/her own, meaning no whines from family members who may not want to eat "health food."

Last edited by Nola Celeste; 12-03-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

For my kids I often make pizza on a whole wheat bread dough crust. For myself, I make this:

Cauliflower crust pizza
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #7  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I make mine with multi-grain pita bread that I crisp up in the oven. I like to use a little jar pizza sauce, skim mozzarella, turkey pepperoni, and a ton of roasted or sauteed veggies (green and red peppers, onions, squash, broccoli, olives) I control the fat, know the exact calories in my pizza, and have zero guilt. It's a wonderful thing!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
For my kids I often make pizza on a whole wheat bread dough crust. For myself, I make this:

Cauliflower crust pizza
I saw something like this on Dr. Oz and was wanting the recipe. Thanks!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

I make pizza on whole wheat tortillas, soooo good, like super thin crust pizza, my kids love it too!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #10  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Yep I've made homemade pizza before-- I bought a ore-made whole wheat thin crust and put the veggies of my choice on there. I had to resort to that because pizza made by pizza places makes me feel ill now, for some reason.

Thin crust is a great alternative to thicker crust-- I learned when I worked in an Italian restaurant that thinner crusts make the toppings tastier without all that bread. Plus, it is healthier and less calories than a thicker crust.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote