Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Took my first spin class - my poor butt!

Hi guys, I'm not a regular visitor to this forum, so apologies if this question has been asked before.

So, I have never had a spin class in my life. The last time I rode a bike, it had a banana seat (circa 30 years ago).

I took my first spin class last night - it was an hour, I made it 30 minutes. The spin class was hard on my legs and my heart rate was up, but I had to stop early because my poor butt (and girly parts) were in agony. If it weren't for my butt, I think I could have finished the class.

What's the secret - just get used to it?

Last edited by Glory87; 12-03-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

God Help Us. I hope it doesn't require callouses!
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 193/184.5/147

Height: 5'7

I do Spin classes three times a week, and some mornings I come to the gym to use the bike on my own, sometimes I'll do a couple of hours in one go. I love it now, but when I did my first class I was the exact same. DEAD after 45 mins, and my behind was killing me for days, it hurt to even sit down at my desk!

Some people use special shorts or say bring a cushion, but for me personally, I just plain ol' got used to it, and that's the thing about Spinning, you get good at it very quickly.

Good luck, and well done!
CardboardCutoutCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I take spin 2 days a week and LOVE it! I felt the same way after my first class. You get used to it after a few times. It's really hard the first time and it honestly gets easier after more classes! Stick with it!
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It took me a couple weeks to get used to it and after that have not had any trouble whatsoever. I'm a 3-4 days a week spinner myself. Those first couple of weeks every muscle in my body was sore including my arms! I had to strengthen my core to sit on the thing correctly. I remember that sitting up without holding on was hard. It's quite comfortable to do so now.

Keep it up! I love spinning!

And I know you said made it 30 minutes because of the sore butt thing, but just in case the resistance was too hard keep in mind that you really can take it at your own pace. The resistance and speed is up to you regardless of what the instructor says. Mimic what the instructor does but at your own pace. No one will mind or probably even notice.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #6  

Hia Glory,

When I first started spinning I had padded shorts AND a removable padded seat . Nowadays I don't need either. I love spinning because I don't need to be co-ordinated, and can work at my own pace. Like other posters have said, work at your own pace and enjoy the buzz.
Tabby1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/122/105

Height: 5'1''

I absolutely LOVE spinning. I do it five times a week. You can purchase a removable padded seat at Wal-Mart and they aren't that expensive. I've been meaning to get one because I have no cushion on my backside. I hope you keep on going!
KatVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

...and remember being in a slight stand relieves butt pain and burns more calories!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #9  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

At my first spin class, our instructor told us to sit way back in the seat, so you almost feel like you're too far back and that "we'd be happy we listened to her." I have to say that my girly bits/butt were not sore at all, and I had not ridden a bike regularly in over a year at that point! Try that next time

Last edited by pinkflower; 12-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote