Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Never thought I would...But need a pat on the back!!

Last Feb I joined WW and by June I had lost almost 30 pounds. I was thrilled. The previous Oct I had emergency surgery on my right eye because my lens spontaneously detached. There was no way to save it and the eye was not a candidate for a new lens. Since the eye had healed I was able to work out vigorously and often.

Then the last week in June, while sitting on the couch, I noticed my vision suddenly got worse in my "good eye", the left. Went to ER and was told the lens in that eye was also detaching! To make a long story short, I had surgery, it went horribly wrong, and during all this time, I went from being very depressed about losing my vision (hopefully temporary) and not being able to exercise to finding another surgeon who will be performing another surgery on the left eye next week. I have gained 10 lbs. back and still cannot drive, or read regular books. My exercising has to be monitored carefully because I can't raise my BP or it puts too much pressure on my eye.

Next week I will go to UCLA and they will remove the implant, sew up a hole left by the other surgeon and implant a new lens. The surgeon is very optimistic that I will be able to read, but not sure about driving. Being only 46 y/o, with two young boys, this has been the hardest part.

I just bought a hula hoop (with the doctors approval) and plan on using it throughout the day to help burn calories. But I am still very upset over the weight gain after all my hard work.

Family and friends keep telling me to just hang in there, try and concentrate only on getting my sight back and then working on the weight loss again. I know they are right, but I still feel like I've failed and it's driving me nuts!

Marie

Last edited by tiniree; 12-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #2  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I think right now you definitely shouldn't stress about 10 lbs. Do everything that you can, eat well and do your hula hoop, but you should certainly worry more about making sure you heal. I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles how frustrating and scary! I hope your surgery goes well, I'll be sending good thoughts your way.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default this one's for you

I couldn't find the back pat icon. But the sentiment is there.
Do keep eating properly during this stressful time. And just stick to what is safe, I assume walking is still fine. Do they know what is causing the problem? HOpe you can get to the bottom of it and have good health.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You're' going through some tough stuff...be kind to yourself as you would be kind to a good friend. We are truly our own worst critics. Can you do walking at a slow pace? That burns just as many calories as a fast pace (or similar, from what I've read), but it just takes longer than if you did the same thing faster. Just a thought. Sending you lots of pats on the back, along with some hugs too.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #6  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

You haven't failed, at all! The main thing is keeping yourself healthy overall, and your family and friends are right -- that means first focusing on your sight, and then focusing on weight loss later. I agree with luckymommy about the walking -- can you take it slow? And the hula hoop was a great idea.

Gaining back 10 pounds, considering that you had to go to very minimal exercise, is not a failure, at all! Personally, I came back to 3FC probably about 40 pounds heavier than when I first joined! And it wasn't because legitimate health circumstances limited my movement... I was just lazy and didn't do what I should have done! That's totally not your issue here!

At any rate, I really, really hope this surgery works out well for you!! Hope that all will be well with your and your sons.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Yes, I forgot to add that I wish you a very speedy recovery!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. We leave on Wednesday for CA. Surgery is Thursday morning ! Won't be able to see the computer for a couple weeks, but I will let everyone know how it goes!!!!

Thanks again and if I don't get a chance to post until after the holiday...... MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote