Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Treadmills vs. Running/walking outdoors

Anybody else here notice a SIGNIFICANT difference in what they can do on a treadmill vs. running or walking outdoors on their own? Last week I had to use a treadmill all week (we were staying in a hotel and it was well below 0°F outside) and I could BARELY run 30 minutes (I was getting in about 2-2.5 miles during that time). However, if I run outdoors doing hills I can easily get in 3 miles in just over 30 minutes and many times can happily run much, much farther. But on the treadmill I feel EVERY STEP. I tried distracting myself by putting the TV on but nothing really helped. I know my pace outdoors is much quicker because sometimes I use DH's droid and will time myself so I really don't get what's up with the treadmill? I also don't think it's a matter of me getting out of shape either because I went for a normal 3 mile run today and felt wonderful and kept a good pace too.

Is it really just the psychological effect of boredom from running on the treadmill or am I missing something here?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186/179

Height: 5' 4"

I have the exact opposite problem! I can run forever on the treadmill but once I'm outside running its such a struggle. Very confusing!
Melly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #3  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

I abhor running on the treadmill. I can barely go for 5 minutes, but can easily run 45 minutes outdoors! Who knows if it's psychological or not, but it happens to me, too.
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Like Melly, I have the opposite problem. I find running outside to be "easier," and for me the reason is simple: on the treadmill, when I set the speed to 6 MPH or whatnot, I'm forced to keep that pace consistently. Outdoors, I'm still not great at pacing (even though I've been running for several years) and I know I slow down and speed up over the course of the run. It's the speeding up part that makes me often have to walk for a bit (~1/8 mile) to catch my breath and regulate my pace.
Now that the weather has turned consistently chilly here in Cleveland, I've run on the treadmill at the gym for the past 2 weeks and have appreciated the very consistent, rhythmic cardio workout I've gotten. Your point about boredom is a good one, but I like the fact I can let my mind wander a ton while on the treadmill, as I don't have to watch for traffic, potholes, et cetera. At any rate, I think it is beneficial to learn to run in both settings.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #5  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Interesting...as I was going to post the exact question in a thread this morning. I have just started the C25K program and am up to Week 5 now and have been doing it outside. I prefer to run in the mornings but lately I have not been waking up early enough to do it.

Last week I did it before my gym class and it was quite good. I was considering finishing the program on the treadmill and was wondering if this would affect/hinder my goal of actually competing in 5k runs (which are done outside).

But based on the comments above it seems eveyone is different........
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

Love running on the treadmill, but need serious hardcore rap (the droning beat) to keep me going. Seriously, if anyone knew what the 37 year old white lady was listening to at the gym, they would laugh. They probably think I'm listening to John Mayer!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I run faster outside. I'll do either, but I definitely run faster outside. Yet my joints actually seem to like the monotony of the treadmill better.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

the treadmill kills me now that i have run outside for a significant time. before running outside the treadmill was easier. But now my mind is so under-stimulated i can barely run 30 minutes without just quitting from wanting to so bad.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I call the treadmill the DREADMILL... When I'm on the dreadmill time stands still, have to play mind games and do intervals...I much prefer to run outside ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #10  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Yes, OP...I feel the same as you. I think it has something to do with not being mentally stimulated...it makes it harder for some reason?
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I'm not a runner, but when I take the dogs for a walk, I can easily walk 3-4 miles and feel like I can go on forever. Yesterday I was walking on the treadmill - and I felt like I had been going FOREVER - and I had walked about .75 miles.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

why doesn't anyone watch tv or read a book on the treadmill?

i just started working out again, but i enjoy working out and watching dr oz, the talk or the doctors.

i can't walk outside (not comfortable doing the steep hills and don't like the fact people could be watching lol) i also have to deal with a 3 year old too.
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmom85 View Post
why doesn't anyone watch tv or read a book on the treadmill?
I do!! Our gym has built in TVs on each treadmill, and I still can't stand the Dreadmill ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I do!! Our gym has built in TVs on each treadmill, and I still can't stand the Dreadmill ...
Yep, me too. I do it...but I don't enjoy it. My best bet is to intervals. It makes the time go so much faster.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I thought I'd hate the treadmill, but I actually did much better with it. It forces me to pace myself, so I don't burn out as quickly, which is really nice.
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote