General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default Argh...crack in windshield

Leaving work today, I notice a small crack in the middle of my windshield. Upon closer inspection, I see about 4-5 other teeny tiny chips around the windshield...like someone shot at my windshield with BBs or something -

Annoying!!!!!

Windshield repair guy is coming out to look at the car tomorrow morning to see if it needs repair or replace...not an expense I needed this month
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Are you sure it's an expense for you? In Florida insurance must pay for windshield repairs/replacements 100%. Of course California may be different.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

There's not a single person in Alaska with a crackless windshield for an entire year. The sand and salt kicks up and smash - few hundred down the drain

Mine is completely intact for now... If it makes it through June I'm throwing it a party.

For the little nicks, we use scotch tape and/or clear nail polish, glue, you get the idea - to keep it from growing in to a big crack.

Last edited by GradPhase; 12-01-2010 at 08:15 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #4  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

WebRover - Thanks! I assumed my $1000 deductible applied to glass repair/replacement. Based on what you said, I called my insurance company, and found that repair of 3 chips are included, and if it needs to be replaced, I'm only required to pay the first $100 Definitely happier now!
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Look around- I was able to get my windshield on my corrolla replaced for VERY cheap at a place at the junkyards.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
There's not a single person in Alaska with a crackless windshield for an entire year. The sand and salt kicks up and smash - few hundred down the drain

Mine is completely intact for now... If it makes it through June I'm throwing it a party.
We live in the Interior. We purchased our new-ish car (it's a 2005) a couple of months ago and took it to our mechanic to have it winterized (was garage kept in Anchorage)...when we first rolled up, he pops out of the shop and the FIRST WORDS out of his mouth are: "OHMIGOD there aren't even any cracks in the windshield! This is nice!"

Not to hijack your thread, OP! I can handle car maintenance issues (either it's my fault for not preventing/fixing/having looked at, or something simply wore out)...but cosmetic things like shopping cart dings/chips/cracks make me sadpanda.

Do you live in a populated area? Shop around for prices. When we lived in Oregon, there were several shops that did auto glass in a ten mile radius, and the price quotes varied by over a hundred dollars. Ended up spending $150 for a complete replacement w/ 2yr. warranty (fixes chips/replaces if cracked)...so, maybe it would be worth it to find a way to take it to the next town if yours is tiny.

Good luck!
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I had a flat tire, yesterday day as if someone had let the air out of it. I filled it up yesterday and checked it again this morning when I went to work...seems to be fine. I gotta keep an eye on it just to make sure their isn't a hole in it...I'm hoping not since buying a new tire will be a ***** plus labour cost to put it on. Seems simple enough except I don't have the money for it at the moment.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I just put a LOT of money into replacing the right tie rod in my car, and now the other side is making the bump bump noise, and might have to be replaced.

Our inlaws in South Carolina get chips and cracks in their windshields all the time, thanks to year-round road construction. SC is one of the states that pays for replacement though!
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Safelite repair. Safelite replace. We got a crack started in our windshield when we went to our granddaughters wedding. By the end of the weekend it had spread all the way across the windshield. We had to pay $100 for the deductible and they did the rest.

I hope it works out well for you. It is a pain in the patoot.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

automotive companies make billions on after-market products i.e. windshields, brakes, etc. by lowering the quality of the original parts. My 77 chevette, my 88 sentra, and my 92 sentra never had any windshield cracks. BUT my 2002 escape has required 3 friggin replacements!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
I just put a LOT of money into replacing the right tie rod in my car, and now the other side is making the bump bump noise, and might have to be replaced.

Our inlaws in South Carolina get chips and cracks in their windshields all the time, thanks to year-round road construction. SC is one of the states that pays for replacement though!
Yeah, I recently had mine replaced. If you have full coverage insurance, you get one free windshield a year. After that, it makes better financial sense to pay for it yourself (about $150 for my Ford Windstar) as opposed to filing a claim.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I got a huge chip in mine with in 1 month of owning it (brand new) and had to have it replaced. I know how you feel though. When that happened I just about came unwound until I figured out it was only $100 and they fixed it on site while I was working. I hope they fix yours fast!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote